Yep.. Another Wheelhop question..

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Tidoh:

Vehicle: 2003 Cobra HP: ???.? TQ: ???.? 1/4 Mile: 14.70@ 111.90

Didn't want to get to much wheelhop ... sheesh.

Ricers love you ... they are all bragging to their buddies that they beat a 03/04 cobra!!!

Huh?

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I can't say that I've ever won a race in first gear. Usually takes until at least 3rd gear. Lost one race though, to a Mercedes...and guess what? I mashed the gas off the line, spun, wheelhopped, and watched him pull away. Then did it again in second. Race over.

So are you actually suggesting that mashing the gas all the way to the floor is the best way to launch with my stock suspension? :shrug:

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Huh?

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I can't say that I've ever won a race in first gear. Usually takes until at least 3rd gear. Lost one race though, to a Mercedes...and guess what? I mashed the gas off the line, spun, wheelhopped, and watched him pull away. Then did it again in second. Race over.

So are you actually suggesting that mashing the gas all the way to the floor is the best way to launch with my stock suspension? :shrug:

Naw man just playing.

My car loves a half throttle dump on the slicks ... even on the street it only spins all the way through 1st gear on a cold tire/street!

BTW I am running stock suspension up front and stock 96 GT suspension in the back!!!

PGreenSVT

Established Member
I saw in your first post you said you have Poly in the suspension so how about a detailed explaination for what you have done. You don't want ANY Poly or Rubber in the rear suspension.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Naw man just playing...
Shoulda known.

It's been pretty hard to develop the discipline to feather the throttle instead of mashing it. I'm still not all the way there yet, though...it'll probably take a few more demoralizing wheelhopping losses, or a broken half-shaft or something!

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
I saw in your first post you said you have Poly in the suspension so how about a detailed explaination for what you have done. You don't want ANY Poly or Rubber in the rear suspension.

I was wrong.. it's not Poly or rubber.. The link is in my signature with the exact stuff in the rear. It's UHMW? Whatever is supposed to replace the rubber and stuff.. It's not the bushings and whatnot at this point.

Will Coiloevers do for me what the stiffer springs and Koni shocks can do? Are coilovers the wrong way to go?

TRBO VNM

I was wrong.. it's not Poly or rubber.. The link is in my signature with the exact stuff in the rear. It's UHMW? Whatever is supposed to replace the rubber and stuff.. It's not the bushings and whatnot at this point.

Will Coiloevers do for me what the stiffer springs and Koni shocks can do? Are coilovers the wrong way to go?

honestly, it depends on the money you want to spend. coilovers are very nice to have to adjust ride height. but you don't have to do them in order to fix the hop. if you have the money and eventually wanted coilovers, sure, now is the time to do it and not spend money again on standard suspension parts. but if you don't have the money for it all, then do what you can and I would suggest the koni's.

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
honestly, it depends on the money you want to spend. coilovers are very nice to have to adjust ride height. but you don't have to do them in order to fix the hop. if you have the money and eventually wanted coilovers, sure, now is the time to do it and not spend money again on standard suspension parts. but if you don't have the money for it all, then do what you can and I would suggest the koni's.

OK.. Then I will wait a month or so and just get the QA1 Rear Coil over kit.. That is still the recommended kit right?

TRBO VNM

OK.. Then I will wait a month or so and just get the QA1 Rear Coil over kit.. That is still the recommended kit right?

that is a good kit. I had it on the silver cobra. I am going to try the koni setup on this next cobra, but I may even just do standard springs instead of coilovers. but I am going to go with the koni's either way.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The thing I prefer with the Konis is no matter what springs you are running, they have a very large adjustment range. I usually keep mine pretty stiff for handling on the streets. Last time I went to MIR, I set them much softer and could feel a drastic change in the weight transfer when launching. The rear of the car would dip much more even when tapping the throttle. Switching from stock bilsteins and cut rear springs to Konis and H&R race springs, a setup designed more for handling, my 60' time went down a full tenth.

Users who are viewing this thread