Yellows or SRT.Ts?

Dan12GT

Established Member
I've been thinking on this for quite some time. My car is currently lowered on BMR springs (stock shocks/struts). I am looking into a new set of shocks / struts ONLY for the reason to restore ride quality. I am also considering yellows because of the extra options you get with adjust-ability and if there is a possibility for even better ride quality.

Now, I hardly track the car. Maybe a handful of times a year. Its my DD so until I can retire it from being my DD I am not going to beat on it and track it much.

SO with that considered I am basically trying to buy the best shock setup for what I am trying to accomplish, ride quality. I have heard great things as far as ride quality for Yellows and SRT.Ts. My main concern is if I am just after ride quality would it be at all worth it to go for the yellows?

I fully understand the yellows are a great investment as you can adjust them for track set-up etc. however right now that is not my main focus. If anything when I retire my car from DD use I will invest in better parts to achieve more out of the car.

The reason I am in a toss up is the price difference for 1 and if the yellows would have MORE potential for BETTER ride quality I want to go that route. The adjust-ability would just be an extra bonus for my situation. However if the ride quality is going to be a wash I don't see the point in my spending the additional $300+ if all I am after is ride quality right now.

I know this might be a difficult question but I know some people have tried both options and basically I want to achieve my needs with the best investment possible.

Last edited:

Clipboard

Established Member
The yellows all the way on soft is the same as the srt's from my understanding. I have the yellows and I leave them all the way on soft all of the time

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
I would go with yellows cause when you finally do retire it fromm being a dd you already have a great track set up and no need to spend more money

willpower

Established Member
I started with SRT.Ts and now I have yellows.

I run the yellows 1/3 stiffness and they are around the same if not a bit stiffer than the SRT.T.

The thing I like about the yellows is that they are quiet. There are no shock absorbing sounds when going over potholes, bumps etc.. The SRT.Ts made shock sounds (not loud, but it annoyed me).

If a couple hundred more is in your budget, I would get the yellows.

Dan12GT

Established Member
I started with SRT.Ts and now I have yellows.

I run the yellows 1/3 stiffness and they are around the same if not a bit stiffer than the SRT.T.

The thing I like about the yellows is that they are quiet. There are no shock absorbing sounds when going over potholes, bumps etc.. The SRT.Ts made shock sounds (not loud, but it annoyed me).

If a couple hundred more is in your budget, I would get the yellows.

Haha I can definitely relate to hock noise. My stocks are worn out and on thee last legs

macbar13

Established Member
I have the yellows and bmr springs and for a lowered car, I think it's a decent ride once you play with the adjusters. The adjuster adjusts for rebound damping and not compression, which I think some people get backwards, because the knob says soft/firm. Which is does "firm" the shocks up in a way. But the ride is not going to get softer when you hit a bump by putting them on "soft". BUT, what you can do in my opinion is match the rebound to the spring rate. So with that said, for me to get my car to ride relatively level over bumps and not cause a "wave" to go through the car over undulations, I ended up having the rear shocks turned more towards firm than the front.

There is a website that talks about shocks in depth and explains that the koni adjuster actually doesn't do much for the first 1/3 of a turn or something like that. It's not linear is what I'm trying to say and may not be equal from shock to shock. So turning one of them 1/2 turn and the other 1/2 turn, might not be the same.

here it is... Autocross to Win (DGs Autocross Secrets) - Shocks

GT915

Established Member
My car is my daily driver as well and I knew I'd never use an adjustable damper to it's fullest postential. My STR.T dampers are stiffer than stock and the money I saved helped pay for my O/R midpipe, which I enjoy everytime I fire it up. FWIW, I have no unwanted noise with them. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the yellows, but I have other obligations and that means I have to make some concessions. No regrets though.

Lucky_13

Established Member
I was disappointed with Yellows, and will be installing Bilsteins from Vorshlag in the next few weeks.

by9468840

Established Member
Got stock Brembo dampers with eibach springs. The ride is very harsh although handling is like on rails. Definitely looking for an adjustable option.

Dan12GT

Established Member
As much as I'd love the adjust ability too it really just is not within the absolute need right now and really would not be worth of it for me to spend so much more money where its not needed. I'd rather take the extra saved money and apply it towards a tune / more fun parts.

I may be DD my car for another 1-2 years or so again my main goal is ride comfort. I assumed the ride quality difference between the Yellows and the SRT.Ts would be a wash and so far it seems to be panning out that way.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
As much as I'd love the adjust ability too it really just is not within the absolute need right now and really would not be worth of it for me to spend so much more money where its not needed. I'd rather take the extra saved money and apply it towards a tune / more fun parts.

I may be DD my car for another 1-2 years or so again my main goal is ride comfort. I assumed the ride quality difference between the Yellows and the SRT.Ts would be a wash and so far it seems to be panning out that way.

Ride quality being #1 priority, what kind of events will you be participating in once you relieve the car from daily? I ask because based on what you're going to do with it, will determine the best choice for you. I am a firm believer in having your cake and eat it too. No reason you should have to sacrifice anything, maybe a little, for performance. It may require a little bit more leg work but it can be done. Call Kelly @ BMR, you won't be disappointed.

Jtaugner

Established Member
I've had my Koni Oranges and BMR Springs for almost a year now as a DD. They run pretty smooth, just gotta be careful of pot holes and railroad tracks.

The noise went up considerably. Front makes a constant noise and the rears sound pretty brutal. Might be some of the LCA. I did all my suspension at once.

Last edited:

jpmotorsport

JPMoSpo
Established Member
I'd recommend the Yellows, based upon my own experience while the STR.T's would be 'cheaper' overall; I wouldn't trade the flexibility of the shocks and the convenience of the multi-faceted performance rather than the one-size-all type performance of the STR.Ts...

Dan12GT

Established Member
I've had my Koni Oranges and BMR Springs for almost a year now as a DD. They run pretty smooth, just gotta be careful of pot holes and railroad tracks.

The noise went up considerably. Front makes a constant noise and the rears sound pretty brutal. Might be some of the LCA. I did all my suspension at once.

I definitely don't want a bunch of noise. If the Yellows will have less likely-hood of that will help me sway that direction.

BMR Tech

OP, feel free to give me a call. I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons, as well as give you additional advice.

Call me tomorrow, I'd like to try and resolve this. Excessive noise is something that I think can be cured, it just may take a little time and effort. The last thing I like to see is a BMR customer driving around with a noisy S197 Mustang.

I'll be in the office from about 10-530 tomorrow, EST. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread