YDH1 + Predator + 2.93 = What plug/gap?

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
I know plug selection is somewhat of a personal preferance, but I thought I would see what everyone else has had the best luck with. Currenty I am running the factory plugs because I could not get rid of the dreaded 2000rpm hesitation with the TR6's. Does anyone have any other plug/gap suggestions?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I don't think the plugs are creating your hesitation. Many people are using them above, below, and in the same power range as you and not having a problem.

I am using TR6s gapped at 40.

ALA G8R

Banned
My preference would be IT20 or IT22 with 0.038" gap. I am running YDH0+Predator Pulley Tune+3.1 with IT20 gapped at 0.040". I don't see any hesitation or spark blowout.

My $0.02.

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I'm running 2.90" + Predator + Autolite 103's gapped at 35. Zero problems. Car runs like a champ.

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
I don't think the plugs are creating your hesitation. Many people are using them above, below, and in the same power range as you and not having a problem.

I am using TR6s gapped at 40.

:shrug: I gapped mine at .040 a well. There was just a noticeable misfire/stumble/hesitation at 1800RPM or so. I gapped them on a good guage, not one of those cheap .99 jobs. I got so fed up with them that I swapped the factory plugs back in and all was well. Maybe I got a bad plug?

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
ngks gapped at .28, but we are runnig a bunch of nitrous!!!! no problems

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
Originally posted by ALA G8R
My preference would be IT20 or IT22 with 0.038" gap. I am running YDH0+Predator Pulley Tune+3.1 with IT20 gapped at 0.040". I don't see any hesitation or spark blowout.

My $0.02.

What do the IT20's cross-referance to in regards to the Motorcraft plug? Or perhaps an easier question would be which plug did your car come with?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I run the NGK TR6s gapped at .035. Im about to throw them in the garbage. I got such a horrible hesitation with them its bad. i had nothing but problems with them on my GT as well. I dont know what made me get them for my Cobra. I was going to put the Motorcraft 12c's in, but they do not make them anymore for Cobras. Denos are way to much $ and not worth it in my opinion. I will go with the Autolites and gap them at .030 and see how that works

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Are you having problems with the stock plugs? Is there any reason you want to change them other than that is what everyone else does with a pulley swap?

I am running the 2.95 pulley with the stock plugs and gap. The car runs great without any hesitation. Does your dyno show any signs of spark blow out? My dyno lines were perfectly smooth with the stock plugs. If your dyno chart is OK why change anything?

The tuner (Ramsey's Performance) I use in Tampa, FL did not feel any need to swap out the plugs unless you are running a lot of boost.

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by CHeRNoBYL
What do the IT20's cross-referance to in regards to the Motorcraft plug? Or perhaps an easier question would be which plug did your car come with?

My vert came with 22FM1 plugs. IThe IT20 plugs are 1 step colder than the 22FM1 plugs. The IT22 plugs are 1 step colder than the IT20 plugs.

maoun

Established Member
i've used the ngk's and the denso's...the denso's have less spark blowout up top, but have the risk of deteriorating....i've seen several of em do it

so i run the ngk tr6's now

ALA G8R

Banned
Originally posted by maoun
i've used the ngk's and the denso's...the denso's have less spark blowout up top, but have the risk of deteriorating....i've seen several of em do it

so i run the ngk tr6's now

How do they deteriorate? Electrode? Insulator? I would like to know so I know what to watch for in the future.

Thanks.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Originally posted by CHeRNoBYL
Is that the AR103? That is a resistor plug no? You've been pretty happy with them?

Nope, that is not the AR103...just the plain old Autolite 103's. They were less than $10 and they work great. For that price I'll swap 'em out left and right if necessary.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'm running stock gap and plugs with a 2.93, custom Predator tune with no problems.

I've been thinking about going to the Autolites with a tighter gap in hopes of getting the most out of my top end. I just don't want to be changing plugs more often. (changed too many damn plugs on my 98GT, I'm sick of it)

How many miles do they average?

DOHC03

Established Member
I had my densos at .035 and I had a bad miss at 2000, very annoying, gapped them up to .04 and it got rid of 95% of the problem.

cobra101

Established Member
I am running AR103s gapped at .034 (stock gap when they came out the box). So far no problems. 2.75RR gates belt and lots of slip. Idler is on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread