Yay popped another FRPS, so ridiculous

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
+1
Also, who has been tuning your cars? same person for all of them?
sounds like you hold the record for number of popped frps's, especially with how lightly modded your cars were, so it's either driving style, tuner, or very bad luck.

In one of my posts above I state all 3 were tuned by diff people, this one tuned by Murillo Motorsports. First car that popped em alot was Strictly Performance. I def don't hold the record but youd figure there would be a fix other than a 900$ return system.

NOT TO MENTION I JUST PRICED A SPARE AND THEY ARE NOW 121$ FROM FORD!!! WTFFF
THEY USED TO BE 60$!!!

rudycobra

Established Member
I'd drop tank and make sure it doesn't have pprv delete . After my delete I had new billet disc and I blew 3 sensors . Kept having trouble with line kinking in tank .

dsmith26

Established Member
In one of my posts above I state all 3 were tuned by diff people, this one tuned by Murillo Motorsports. First car that popped em alot was Strictly Performance. I def don't hold the record but youd figure there would be a fix other than a 900$ return system.

THEY USED TO BE 60$!!!

saw one in market for 45 shipped. snatch it up and continue to put band-aids on the problem.

THEY USED TO BE 60$!!!

Well we can blame you for driving up the price. :lol:

TRBO VNM

Call Steve at Tousley ford, they are 10% over dealer cost and if that is who you called...wow, glad I switched.

The KB disc is a bandaid fix. The problem is the fuel system design and the demands we put on the cars with the increased power. So if you want the power or more later on, upgrade the fuel system

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I've never popped one but from what it sounds like, hitting the factory rev limiter with the returnless fuel system is a sure way to pop it.
Really? I've never popped one yet I have hit the rev limiter nearly every time I have taken it out. And I've had this car since new. Spare sitting in glove box waiting on the day when it does pop.

keith89

Established Member
Really? I've never popped one yet I have hit the rev limiter nearly every time I have taken it out. And I've had this car since new. Spare sitting in glove box waiting on the day when it does pop.

:dw: you hit the rev limiter nearly every time you drive the car? That's impressive.

You do realize that's not good for the motor. You may be lucky so far but the stock computer cuts fuel at the rev limiter. When it does this rapidly, it creates huge spikes in fuel pressure multiple times from the pumps cutting in and out. These spikes are what blow the diaphragm in the frps. Not to mention the lean spikes from the motor cutting fuel at high rpm and high load.

But what do I know, I've only seen it multiple times at the track first hand.

03 SeRpEnT

The Feeling Hurter
Established Member
Yea I haven't hit the rev limiter in this car yet and popped one so if that tells you anything

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I popped my first one this summer, I think it was due to hitting the rev limiter. It threw a code.

keith89

Established Member
Yea I haven't hit the rev limiter in this car yet and popped one so if that tells you anything

that would narrow it down to very bad luck with tuners or kinked hose in the fuel tank(possible if you've had pprv delete done).

Last thing i could think of is electrical problems. Bad ground, alternator on its way out etc. causing issues with the computer or fuel pumps. Yes, it's a stretch but these cars seem to have very strange and random symptoms to electrical issues.

Have you logged your car? I know you can't log all the time and hope to get lucky when the frps pops but that would more than likely tell us he exact issue causing this. It'd be interesting to see fuel pressure and voltage etc under load when you take it up in the rpms.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
:dw: you hit the rev limiter nearly every time you drive the car? That's impressive.

You do realize that's not good for the motor. You may be lucky so far but the stock computer cuts fuel at the rev limiter. When it does this rapidly, it creates huge spikes in fuel pressure multiple times from the pumps cutting in and out. These spikes are what blow the diaphragm in the frps. Not to mention the lean spikes from the motor cutting fuel at high rpm and high load.

But what do I know, I've only seen it multiple times at the track first hand.
Compression and leakdown both came out fine. Car is mostly stock. I thought the rev limiter is suppose to PREVENT damage, especially at stock levels. If I ever get to seriously modding the engine, I'll switch over to a return system and be done with it.

I guess my point is that hitting the rev limiter isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Maybe because it's on the stock tune, never been to the track or I'm real lucky.

Besides, it's not my DD and if I break it, I'll rebuild it better and stronger. Right now, I'm more concerned that I'll lose my alternator or heater core, both seem to be more likely.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
Also +1 on the kenne bell disc. I used this, although i didn't need it with my fore precision rails(the orifice on these is smaller that on stock rails). Problem solved.

keith89

Established Member
Compression and leakdown both came out fine. Car is mostly stock. I thought the rev limiter is suppose to PREVENT damage, especially at stock levels. If I ever get to seriously modding the engine, I'll switch over to a return system and be done with it.

I guess my point is that hitting the rev limiter isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Maybe because it's on the stock tune, never been to the track or I'm real lucky.

Besides, it's not my DD and if I break it, I'll rebuild it better and stronger. Right now, I'm more concerned that I'll lose my alternator or heater core, both seem to be more likely.

Rev Limiter and Consequential Damage
Anything can happen with a rev limiter. This may have been a defective parts failure or just overstress. I raised my factory rev limiter and rely on the n2mb WOT box rev limiter(set to the stock limit) now. I don't know the last time I hit the rev limiter but the n2mb limiter cuts spark instead of fuel. The factory rev limiter cuts fuel instead of spark causing temporary lean spikes and fuel pressure spikes from the fuel pumps cutting in and out. With the n2mb rev limiter there will just be rich spikes which is safer(it may kill the cats over a long period of time) and you might get a nice big flame out your exhaust from unburnt fuel.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Rev Limiter and Consequential Damage
Anything can happen with a rev limiter. This may have been a defective parts failure or just overstress. I raised my factory rev limiter and rely on the n2mb WOT box rev limiter(set to the stock limit) now. I don't know the last time I hit the rev limiter but the n2mb limiter cuts spark instead of fuel. The factory rev limiter cuts fuel instead of spark causing temporary lean spikes and fuel pressure spikes from the fuel pumps cutting in and out. With the n2mb rev limiter there will just be rich spikes which is safer(it may kill the cats over a long period of time) and you might get a nice big flame out your exhaust from unburnt fuel.
I have owned this car since new, so how come I have never had a problem? Lucky? I doubt it. Obviously I'm not easy on it, and aside from tires, clutch (it was the TOB Retainer tube which broke) and radiator fan, nothing. I'm still on the original spark plugs. I have heard this before, but would Ford have really done that if there was a serious issue of engine damage (at least with stock engines)? I know they made several mistakes with this car (my defective/out of balance driveshaft bubbles to the top), but they also took a lot of time to make sure the engine didn't melt down. One reason we ended up with an iron block instead of an aluminum one (I remember reading of serious engine block failures during development).

I have been following the thread you linked to but fail to see any proof that my hitting the rev limiter would be fatal. In fact the thread talks about the differences between the GT500 and Terminator timing chain/gears as a big problem). And those 3 cobra failures in 3 years, not clear if they were stock engines, but considering the source of that info, I'd guess they were NOT stock. Upping the horsepower can cause all sorts of failures since the Ford accountants didn't let the engineers build in much cushion once you start power mods.

I have seen failures when people have hit 2nd instead of 4th during a full power shift, but that isn't a failure because of the rev limiter. It was due to mechanically over revving the drivetrain.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that hitting the rev limiter is good for an engine, but I am saying that on a stock engine, it's not as catastrophic as is being implied. IMO, the tight PTW clearance is more of a problem for the engine than the rev limiter is. There is a lot more data pointing to high speed runs killing engines than there is of rev limiters.

And I thought that the rev limiter killed BOTH spark and fuel in the stock rev limiter. But I could be wrong.

keith89

Established Member
I have owned this car since new, so how come I have never had a problem? Lucky? I doubt it. Obviously I'm not easy on it, and aside from tires, clutch (it was the TOB Retainer tube which broke) and radiator fan, nothing. I'm still on the original spark plugs. I have heard this before, but would Ford have really done that if there was a serious issue of engine damage (at least with stock engines)? I know they made several mistakes with this car (my defective/out of balance driveshaft bubbles to the top), but they also took a lot of time to make sure the engine didn't melt down. One reason we ended up with an iron block instead of an aluminum one (I remember reading of serious engine block failures during development).

I have been following the thread you linked to but fail to see any proof that my hitting the rev limiter would be fatal. In fact the thread talks about the differences between the GT500 and Terminator timing chain/gears as a big problem). And those 3 cobra failures in 3 years, not clear if they were stock engines, but considering the source of that info, I'd guess they were NOT stock. Upping the horsepower can cause all sorts of failures since the Ford accountants didn't let the engineers build in much cushion once you start power mods.

I have seen failures when people have hit 2nd instead of 4th during a full power shift, but that isn't a failure because of the rev limiter. It was due to mechanically over revving the drivetrain.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that hitting the rev limiter is good for an engine, but I am saying that on a stock engine, it's not as catastrophic as is being implied. IMO, the tight PTW clearance is more of a problem for the engine than the rev limiter is. There is a lot more data pointing to high speed runs killing engines than there is of rev limiters.

And I thought that the rev limiter killed BOTH spark and fuel in the stock rev limiter. But I could be wrong.

I never said it would be fatal nor did I say it will absolutely hurt an engine. However, there is a higher chance of tweaking something due to how the factory rev limiter works and how violently the engine is bouncing in revs. I was just showing you an example where the stress of the rev limiter caused a problem due to a weak link that may have not been noticeable otherwise. The part may have been faulty to begin with but not enough to fail until being over stressed by the rev limiter. I'm just going by the numbers. If you do a search, the weak link on our cars with the rev limiter is the frps. Most of the blown frps reported are due to hitting the rev limiter. I'm sure many have been fine hitting the rev limiter but it's common enough that I would avoid it. I wouldn't preach about hitting the rev limiter all the time like you do though.

Besides we established that it isn't the OP's driving style and it isn't the rev limiter since it blows before he gets to the limiter. He definitely have an unusually high number of blown frps. The only thing left really is to get the kenne bell disk and or data log to double check that everything is running correctly.

I'm done posting in this thread. Starting to realize why Cornercarvers is the way it is. Makes sense.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
The kb disc is a band-aid for sure, however I think any high performance returnless can use one. I got slammed on startup at the shop. Maybe it was in between tunes, whom knows. The point is it can't hurt and might save you the chore of carrying a spare frps around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread