X-Plan and a Trade-In?

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
I'm ordering a 13' gt cs and I'm trading in my 2002 73k miles SVT lightning. Excellent trade in amount (which it is mint condition) is 14,100. Low end is 11,100. The dealer said because I'm doing a xplan that they aren't making any money and they would need to give the low end of my trade. He said because its so old it would be hard to sell because someone would need to come up with money, no bank will finance a car that old. Whole sale, he saidd was 9,500-10,500 and what he was offering was a good deal. He told me he would call me Monday to let me know if he can do better on the value after he talks with people at the auctions. But he thinks 11,200 is probably all he could go.

I need 12,500 for the truck to be in the payments I want. They only want to give me 11,200. And he will not negotiate any higher. WTF?
Is this right? Should I go somewhere else.
A friend just traded his 03 with 53,451 mint for 16,200 plus 750 ford cash. Something doesn't seem right.

cdog1157

Established Member
They're trying to make up for the x-plan price, I'd sell the truck outright or go to another dealer. If it's mint then you could probably sell it pretty quick and get the price you want. I'd still go to another dealer since that one is trying to screw you.

nickf2005

Established Member
Private sale... Dealers want to say they make no/little money off x plan, but I know there has to be more to it. Ford would take the hit and not the dealer I would think.

turka

not ᶠᶸᶜᵏᴵᴺᴳ bagged
Established Member
Good rule of thumb for any kind of car buying, trade-in or not:

You should ALWAYS go to another dealer.
Get a bottom line price outa them ON PAPER before you leave from each one - even if it means you have to sit there for an hour each.
Then take that price to the next dealer, so on so forth.
You will see them break down and try to beat each others offers by at least a couple of hundred bucks in order to try and make the sale.
Don't fold and hold a poker face till you find the lowest price.

I went to about 8 different dealers doing this and ended up getting all the options on my 2012 for free pretty much.

Worth it?

Absolutely :banana:

Mikegee1028

Established Member
Good rule of thumb for any kind of car buying, trade-in or not:

You should ALWAYS go to another dealer.
Get a bottom line price outa them ON PAPER before you leave from each one - even if it means you have to sit there for an hour each.
Then take that price to the next dealer, so on so forth.
You will see them break down and try to beat each others offers by at least a couple of hundred bucks in order to try and make the sale.
Don't fold and hold a poker face till you find the lowest price.

I went to about 8 different dealers doing this and ended up getting all the options on my 2012 for free pretty much.

Worth it?

Absolutely :banana:

i got to agree with this i dropped about 100+ dollars in my monthly car note by doing this, patience goes a very long way at dealers...i also used X PLAN

Another Suggestion is take it to a car max if you want to get rid of it quicker i hear they usually offer more than dealers..

DKrazyKracker32

Established Member
Another Suggestion is take it to a car max if you want to get rid of it quicker i hear they usually offer more than dealers..

That's never been the case around here, I go there first to see what the least I can expect is. The 07 Silverado I traded in carmax offered me like 7500 and I got 11 at the dealer. They offered my cousin 6k for his charger that he ended up getting 12 for at another dealer. Carmax is no bueno.

trolls56

Established Member
I would goto another dealer having x-plan they can't screw you over on the price of the car so they are going try to do that on the trade in.

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
I think the take away message here is: Go to another dealer. Those guys aren't stupid, they see an SVT badge and they know they can sell it.

M3_Dust

Established Member
I bought my car with X plan, got a $500 rebate, another $750 incentive, and my dealer got me more than I was asking for my trade. They are trying to rape you, tell them to eat a dick and go somewhere else.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
xplan actually pays the dealer back some money. so the dealer is trying to steal your trade big time.

This. My dealer actually called me a few months after i bought my car because they needed a copy of my mma card for paperwork to send in, i asked them why and he said its how they make money from all the plans. they get incentives back. So go to a different dealer. Why not wait and do a private sell? The 13s arent going anywhere. plus it will give u time to order a car u want

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Always get your trade in price in writing before negotiating a price on the new vehicle.
The salesperson your dealing with is a assbag, Find another salesperson or dealer.
The dealer makes enough money on the Ford plan. They are trying to pinch you on the trade. Get a quote from Carmax on the value of your trade. Better yet sell it out right.

Adam03GT

Established Member
Definitely go to a different dealer. I just got finished with the same process and just by going to the second dealership and laying out the numbers that the previous dealer showed me i saved $2,000.

I found that its a good idea to go to a Ford dealer that prides itself in selling the most volume. Go to a dealer like this and they will all but break even for a sale just to get the higher total amount sold to keep its title of "most vehicles sold."

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
I'm ordering a 13' gt cs and I'm trading in my 2002 73k miles SVT lightning. Excellent trade in amount (which it is mint condition) is 14,100. Low end is 11,100. The dealer said because I'm doing a xplan that they aren't making any money and they would need to give the low end of my trade. He said because its so old it would be hard to sell because someone would need to come up with money, no bank will finance a car that old. Whole sale, he saidd was 9,500-10,500 and what he was offering was a good deal. He told me he would call me Monday to let me know if he can do better on the value after he talks with people at the auctions. But he thinks 11,200 is probably all he could go.

I need 12,500 for the truck to be in the payments I want. They only want to give me 11,200. And he will not negotiate any higher. WTF?
Is this right? Should I go somewhere else.
A friend just traded his 03 with 53,451 mint for 16,200 plus 750 ford cash. Something doesn't seem right.

Go elsewhere.

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
This. My dealer actually called me a few months after i bought my car because they needed a copy of my mma card for paperwork to send in, i asked them why and he said its how they make money from all the plans. they get incentives back. So go to a different dealer. Why not wait and do a private sell? The 13s arent going anywhere. plus it will give u time to order a car u want

Tried selling but I keep hearing," my bank won't finance me for an 02".

NEw question!!!
I was told by someone else that the dealer isn't allowed to add any "cushions" to the x-plan to try and sweeten their end. On the paper they filled out with the price they included the delivery fee of 750.00. Are they allowed to do that? I thought they get that back with the holdbacks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Davey

Established Member
Stick to your price or walk.

In fact, call him right now, and tell him that if he can't give you $12,500 for that truck to not bother asking at the auction because you're taking your business elsewhere.

Someone will pay cash for that truck, they don't grow on trees.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Tried selling but I keep hearing," my bank won't finance me for an 02".

NEw question!!!
I was told by someone else that the dealer isn't allowed to add any "cushions" to the x-plan to try and sweeten their end. On the paper they filled out with the price they included the delivery fee of 750.00. Are they allowed to do that? I thought they get that back with the holdbacks?

https://www.fordpartner.com/partnerweb/jsp/howitworks/fordpartner_rules.htm#programpol

6. PRICING AND INCENTIVES

The dealer is required to provide you with a true copy of the factory invoice showing the Partner Recognition price on the line labeled X-Plan. You should also receive a complete and signed AXZD-Plan Pricing Agreement showing each item and its price. Do not sign this form if it is blank or if you do not understand how the price was calculated. All added items must be documented on this form, including negative equity on trade, and gifts.
The X-Plan price is the amount shown in the box labeled "X-Plan" near the bottom of the factory invoice. The New Vehicle Purchase Program price includes advertising, finance costs, transportation, fuel charges and Ford Motor Company administrative fees. The dealership may not charge extra for these items.
The New Vehicle Purchase Program customer is entitled to the price in effect at the time the vehicle was invoiced. Any money refunded to the dealer by Ford Motor Company for price increases occurring after the order is submitted, but before shipment to the dealer, must be refunded to the customer.

Mine shows a 995 destination and delivery fee but its included in the xplan total pricing (ie it is not the xplan price PLUS a delivery fee). I priced mine on the Xplan partner website before going in and ordering my truck and the Xplan pricing direct from ford had the 995 delivery fee. My dealer plopped down the true invoice as they are supposed to that had a detailed layout of everything going into the xplan pricing

Users who are viewing this thread