X Pipe Question

ZINCYELLOW01

Established Member
Before a tune I'm planning on buying a JLT CAI and Steeda UDPs... I want to open up the exhaust a little as well, but I'm on a budget.

Are there any downsides to a stock exhaust with an offroad X? I planned on ditching the stock mid-pipe and running an offroad X- It seems like the factory catback is a decent design and I'm not too excited to drop $700 on a good catback. Anyone running a similar setup? Would I see more power gains from one or the other?

Thanks

Mystic03

Established Member
from my experience mid pipes on mustangs wake up the 4.6 you can get a upr for cheap if your on a budget

1999 Cobra

Established Member
i got a UPR X pipe on mine, got it dirt cheap too. you will loose a little torque but you'll get more high end HP out of it.

JDrake

Established Member
im still on the stock catback w/ weld in flows (arent much better than stock mufflers) and still made good power.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
im still on the stock catback w/ weld in flows (arent much better than stock mufflers) and still made good power.
But you have LT's, that pretty much helped it out a lot. Now if only you had a good aftermarket X pipe :rockon:

Last edited:

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
I went with the slp catted x which was only $405 and welded in the LM1's to the stock catback.
IMO it is a near legal pretty free flowing system.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
The off road x will really wake up the sound of the car as well. I didn't notice much seat of the pants difference when I did the catback, but noticed alot when I did the x, and at the time, it was a Bassani catted x with Flowmaster catback.

yeller1

Established Member
Well, the only drawback I can see is without cats it's gonna smell a bit. If it's a daily driver, that might be an issue.

CobraKalas

Established Member
Ive got a bassani catted x pipe but if you ever look at those cats they are completely see thru besides looking like a pasta strainer haha.

99cobra302

Established Member
Well, the only drawback I can see is without cats it's gonna smell a bit. If it's a daily driver, that might be an issue.

i have a bassani x and without cats and a chambered muffler it sounded like ass at decel. i added some magnaflow cats and it made it sound much smoother, and had a better tone.

Users who are viewing this thread