X-pipe Question

fondani302

Established Member
Hey guys i need some help, i just put a UPR x-pipe on my 01 Cobra to go alond with my magnaflow catback. It sounds great but at start up i notice a ticking sound on the drivers side, i know its a leak, it sound like its coming from where the x-pipe meets the manifold . My question is would i have been better off goin with a one piece x-pipe instead. Also i noticed how low this thing hangs...any tips or input would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance guys...

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Um. Don't be surprised if you didn't get the bolts tight enough. Also you can use some high temp RTV to help seal it.

o0rikio0o

Established Member
gaskets are for the passenger side. for the driver's side, theres a sleeve that fits right in. i usually put the sleeve in, then throw on some exhaust sealer on it to ensure that its leak proof. works very well.

yeller1

Established Member
Just tighten each bolt a little at a time so the flange meets the manifold straight on, especially on the pass side. On the passenger side, I did NOT use a new gasket. :)

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
It's possible that the flange is tightened un-even on the drivers side. I've run without the gasket on the passenger side and it has always found a way to start leaking. Good luck!

BadaBing

Let's take a look....
Established Member
I have a Bassani Catted X, its not a one piece x either. I had the same problem with it hanging pretty low when I installed it. Put the car back up on jack stands, then loosen all of the connecting hardware. Put a block on your floor jack, and jack up the midpipe on the "x" until it rests agains the bottom of the car. Tighten all of the bolts, and let the jack down. It should drop enough to not hit the bottom of the car, and not hang nearly as low as it did before. This might solve your leak also.

arturo3rd

Established Member
thanks for all the input, im gonna put it back up on a rack a do what you said BadaBing

i just put mine on today to and looks like it hangs low. the car idles fine but when the car is decelarating i hear something like a light tick on the drivers side where i think the x connects.

fondani302, did you have any luck raising up the x pipe?

arturo3rd

Established Member
also, whats this? i didnt install it, lol :pepper:

96_98_XPIPE_LRG.gif

I bet that passenger side gasket needs to be replaced. My Bassani X started making the Pppphhh Phhhh sound at start up until the car got warm. I should've put a new passenger side gasket because the one that the car came with was suspect. Have one at home but have been too lazy to install it.

Iceberg

Established Member
I believe that's the piece you install to mate up the driver's side to the header without replacing the stock studs to the ones without the sleeves on them

arturo3rd

Established Member
I believe that's the piece you install to mate up the driver's side to the header without replacing the stock studs to the ones without the sleeves on them

hmm... here is what i found doing a google search. i still cant find a definite answer :shrug:

good simple install, but there are no directions so if you've never done one u dont know where that short little piece of pipe goes "inside LH side pipe" and you have to be carefull of gasket on RT.side.It has a raised portion and if its crooked it leaks.. i had to reposition mine,ok now. i feel more pull in higher rpm's, sound is near same at idle but noticably louder on the gas.i have magnaflow catback. wasnt crazy about sound at first but its cool now. sound mean.

the x-pipe is two pieces and comes together on the drivers side right by the X part. not sure if it goes there or by the headers.

BLACK281

Established Member
that piece is for the driver side header you put it in between the x pipe and header to act as a reducer so you wont get a leak. Your going from 2.25 to a 2.5 pipe so it makes up for the bigger pipe.

So how do you like your setup fondani302 does it sound like a nascar

Users who are viewing this thread