x pipe question....

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
hey guys...
for those of you that use a cat'd x pipe... do you notice the "Raspy" sound you hear people talk about? mustangexhaust.com says that the h will give you the rumble and the x gives you a raspy sound...
you agree?

thanks!
-jason

Goldy

Established Member
I can only speak to the Bassani x-pipe w/cats, and Bassani catback, as that is what I have.

The combination of the x-pipe and catback are less 'raspy' with the baffles installed in the tail pipes than without them. With the baffles installed, I would say that there is just a hint of 'raspy-ness'.

This is all very subjective; one might say the system is extremely raspy where another may not think so. I run my system with the baffles removed; I like the sound. And, I have had many compliments about my exhaust system (sound).

I'd say try to hear the various combinations to figure out what you like. I like the Bassani (I've got three of their systems).

Howard

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat
Raspy? No, it's more of a Nasty sound at WOT. Many people compare it to the sound of a NASCAR exhaust.

U.M.
This is exactly what my Magnaflow catted Xpipe and catback sound like.:)

Weasel

Established Member
I installed my system last July and am very happy with it. Mine is catted and I have the baffles in. I never thought of the sound as being raspy. I think it does sound different now than when first installed. When I was trying to decide on the system I listened to clips that Postban posted on his site. They are very good video/audio clips recorded under different situations. Do a search for the screen name Postban and the links to the clips are in his signature. From these you'll know exactly how the system sounds.

Mike

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm only running a Maggie catted X-pipe. Stock catback. The sound is definitely not raspy. Actually just a bit louder than stock. But then again that's exactly what I was looking for.
:burnout:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
The X pipe sound sucks IMO. Where are all the H's. Oh ya they don't make them with cats yet. Mac is working on it hehe. Its a personly likeing which I don't:burnout: :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think for a real sound difference/increase you really need to go with at least an aftermarket catback. Headers would help as well. If I was looking for a definite sound level increase I would be disappointed with what comes from the catted X-pipe. JMO.

03kobra

Established Member
i have a bassani catted x and it has a similar tone to a ferrari type car

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 03kobra
i have a bassani catted x and it has a similar tone to a ferrari type car
Are you sure the sound isn't from your Magnaflow catback? I ask because my Magnaflow catback sounded like an exotic in my opinion -- i.e. a Ferrari. My catted X-pipe doesn't sound like an exotic. It has the classic Mustang V-8 sound -- just a bit louder than stock.
:burnout:

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
I've got the MagnaFlow catted X and catback. The sound is slightly higher pitched than the H, but it's louder and it sounds badass, especially a WOT. You're also a little quieter at idle, so no one will suspect a thing when you're next to them at the light.:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread