x pipe or h pipe

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
whats the difference between a hi flow x and h pipe, i know many are going with the x pipes with there catbacks and was wondering if theres a perf difference, when i finally get my mac catback installed correctly i wanna go with an h or x

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe the H-pipe will give better performance for a stock/near stock Cobra. The sound is definitely different between the two. I have the Magnaflow X-pipe myself and like it. It would be interesting to see testing on both on stock and modded Cobras.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
what people generally say is that an X pipe will give you more hp up top while a H pipe will give you more low end power....now how much truth is there to this? I have no clue. All I know I am a fan of the X pipe hence the VRS X pipe I am getting along with my bassani catback. :)

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
I have used (Bassani X O/R vs BBK H O/R) on previous Cobras. I personally liked the BBK H better. I agree it seemed like the X pipe made more power up top but I have no evidence. There was a big difference between the sound. I thought the BBK H had a lot more rumble and I loved the sound much more than the X. Keep in mind my testing was with the stock cat back and they were both Off Road Pipes.

If I could only find a BBK H offroad for my 03.

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
why dont you just get a MAC off road H for your 03? i have one on my car now, it is for a 99+ GT/cobra and it fits fine. just had to get the adapter to fit the driver's side stock header. i am actually gonna be selling mine and switching to a high flow bassani x, because i need a new sound, and i will eventually get their mid length headers.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by lRageATMl
what people generally say is that an X pipe will give you more hp up top while a H pipe will give you more low end power....

Yes, that is true, though the differences are pretty negligible. I've always used the H because I prefer the sound.

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by Dem03SonicSnake
whats the difference between a hi flow x and h pipe, i know many are going with the x pipes with there catbacks and was wondering if theres a perf difference, when i finally get my mac catback installed correctly i wanna go with an h or x

H pipes sound more like the muscle cars, yeah. X pipes sound like the Nascar crap. JMO

Last edited:

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
id get an offroad but i want cats on the car, isnt there a fine for not having cats on your vehicle?

jonas

Established Member
id get an offroad but i want cats on the car, isnt there a fine for not having cats on your vehicle?

yes big time no no

My gt has an h pipe. I purchased it back when h-pipes were the only thing around. I heard the x pipe on a simmilar gt and the exhaust sounded less lopey and smoother, at wot it had a very nascarish sound which was neat. At the time it was unique but now everyone and their mamas has it. Ask hotrodharry I think his mama has one.

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
yeah hes got x pipe no cats and headers, sounds great, i like that deep sound i have now with the mac and dont wanna lose that with the x pipe, i'll probably eventually go with long tube headers and a catted h

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
yeah hes got x pipe no cats and headers, sounds great, i like that deep sound i have now with the mac and dont wanna lose that with the x pipe, i'll probably eventually go with long tube headers and a catted h

Got the Mac and the stock H? I'd like to hear your opinions of it as I was thinking of going the same way.
Thanks.

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
i love my mac system , the sound is incredible, better then all the others i've heard, the quality of the system is not all there, as many have had problems installing it, other then that its a great sounding system with great performance

Users who are viewing this thread