X-Pipe install gone wrong

yoshis99_cobra

Established Member
Okay guys, need some help here. I just installed the Bassani x-pipe, of which took 4 hours to do. The passenger side bolts were a pain in the ass to get off. ONly two of them though. The one bolt that connects to the header took us 2.5 hours to get off. We tried a sawz all to cut the cats off so it'd give us more leverage. But anyway, after we bolted everything back up I started her. She runs really rough and almost seems like she is starving for gas. It bogs really bad and I can't drive it right now because it's that bad. All O2 sensors are connected and have NO check engine light. Any possibilites since I took the CATS off or possible my MAF? Do I need to send the MAF back out and have it recalibrated? I have no clue what to do from here. I did this at my friend's house who has a lift in his heated garage. He had to drive me home, fortunately I'm only 5 miles from his house. Any help is greatly appreciated. My mods are listed below....

yoshis99_cobra

Established Member
I forgot to add that she died on me two times going for a test drive. It's almost like I have cams in there because it idles really rough.
PLEASE HELP!!!!

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
I just recently did my off-road h on my 99 snake...Did you buy MIl eliminators? They are a main part, they fool the 02's into thinking nothing has changed so the Check engine light wont turn on. Even if yours isnt on right now, without those, it will eventually.

Since you decided to use a sawz all which was not very good..You may have damaged you're 02 sensors. You have to be careful with those, they break easily.

THere is no reason why your car should be running like except damaged 02 sensors. I had a frozen bolt on my passenger side header, I had it taken off at a shop, and drove back to the house about 5 minutes away with huge exhaust leak and it still ran good.....

No maf calibration is needed, you need Mil Eliminators, and you needed to keep your 02 sensors intact..that's it. Taking cats off will not effect driveability..You broke something

Last edited:

AzDropTop

Established Member
I've got one coming to the house. How is the SOTP feel? Thanks

BmoseleyINC said:
I just recently did my off-road h on my 99 snake...Did you buy MIl eliminators? They are a main part, they fool the 02's into thinking nothing has changed so the Check engine light wont turn on. Even if yours isnt on right now, without those, it will eventually.

Since you decided to use a sawz all which was not very good..You may have damaged you're 02 sensors. You have to be careful with those, they break easily.

THere is no reason why your car should be running like except damaged 02 sensors. I had a frozen bolt on my passenger side header, I had it taken off at a shop, and drove back to the house about 5 minutes away with huge exhaust leak and it still ran good.....

No maf calibration is needed, you need Mil Eliminators, and you needed to keep your 02 sensors intact..that's it. Taking cats off will not effect driveability..You broke something

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
AzDropTop said:
I've got one coming to the house. How is the SOTP feel? Thanks

You will definitely feel it at high RPM's...may lose a lil low end grunt though.

yoshis99_cobra

Established Member
Just curios since it was so late when I was doing this install, could it be possible that maybe the O2 sensors got put back in the wrong holes? Maybe i switches the O2 sensors around. What is the correct O2 sensor setup? I think greens were in the front but can't remember what was in the rear. Any ideas???

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Try disconnecting you battery for about 10 minutes and then try it.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Yeah, you need to disconnect the battery (to reset the PCM/car computer). If that doesn't solve it, you may have inadvertently damaged a front O2 sensor (judging by your description).

yoshis99_cobra

Established Member
I disconnected the battery and it didn't work. I can't imagine that the O2 sensor would cause it to not start. It cranks but doesn't turn over. I'm gonna have to have it towed over to the Ford shop and have them check it out. This is ridiculous. A simple x-pipe swap and now it don't start. What the heck????

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You may have shorted something out by not having the battery disconnected durring the install. If nothing else learn this...ALWAYS DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY WHEN YOU ARE INSTALLING ANYTHING...Just to be safe.

yoshis99_cobra

Established Member
Yeah that sucks. Lesson learned. Oh well, i'm sure it ain't anything big to fix, but I have to pay for that. Could have gone towards suspension mods. :(

Venomous281

Texas Bandit
Established Member
i dont have mil eliminators and i have an h pipe with no pipes and it runs great. checked it out on the snap on diagnostics scanner and all it said was the cats were bad but thats because i have none. I dont think it could be because you dont have mil eliminators. My car runs great and i dont have them, maybe something gor cut on accident or maybe unhooked.

yoshis99_cobra

Established Member
01trublue cobra said:
Yes, just remove the negative side only.
By disconnecting the negative, why would that do anything? It's just the ground. Wouldn't it make more sense to disconnect the positive? I only disconnected the positive so if it makes a difference I'll try the negative. But I think I might have fried my fuel pump. If I did fry my fuel pump, probably when I touched a screw driver to the starter, would it make more senese to get an aftermarket fuel pump? If I have the mods below, would it help any at all, or should I just keep the stock one for now? My future, and I'm talking extended future, mods will be a built block with cams and a big shot of NOS. Do I just get it now or wait???

Users who are viewing this thread