X-pipe inquiries

KS_KNGCBRA

Established Member
Currently have the stock mid-pipe with Borla Stinger cat back in my 03 Cobra. Considering an upgrade to an X-pipe. Currently looking at the Magnaflow Tru-X with cats, and the UPR X-pipe with cats.

Couple of questions: 1) Any recommendations one way or the other in regards to which brand, and why? 2)What's the fit and finish like for each (ground clearance, quality of materials, etc)? 3)Any particular problems with either one? 4)I see the price difference between the two is ~$200...why? Is there really that much of a noticeable difference in quality and performance from the Magnaflow to be that much more? 5) What kind of increase in sound can I expect? Drone?

I have no desire to go to a O/R X-pipe as I don't like the raspy sound at all. I'd love to pick up a little more throaty exhaust note and am fine with it being a little louder, but I don't want this to be something that I cant hear myself think while driving around. Any and all help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance everyone.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
All x pipes sound raspy...even h pipes. Mine am going to hate!
kook LT
Kooks O R XPipe
Borla stingers

03SB cobra

Established Member
have a bassani x pipe on mine sounds great but its catless had a magnaflow catted h pipe on it previously and had good sound and not too loud the only pain part is getting to the collector bolts on the passenger side above the starter

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Had an SLP catted-X for a short time. It was a nice piece, but the rasp was horrible. It even felt like some of the low-end was lost. Put the OEM mid-pipe back on and the sound is much nicer. I even like the low-end torque that came back. It was a waste to switch.

moonltgold

Had an SLP catted-X for a short time. It was a nice piece, but the rasp was horrible. It even felt like some of the low-end was lost. Put the OEM mid-pipe back on and the sound is much nicer. I even like the low-end torque that came back. It was a waste to switch.

That is true -- I felt more low end torque with my stock mid-pipe than the Magnaflow. The Mag power and tq are much farther up the rpm curve.

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
The UPR catted X-Pipe is a nice piece... I purchased it for a good price and the fit and finish is great. No problems installing it, doesn't hang low and sounds really good. Although it ain't SS like magnaflow... For the cost it's a good X-pipe! That's just my advice...

KS_KNGCBRA

Established Member
The UPR catted X-Pipe is a nice piece... I purchased it for a good price and the fit and finish is great. No problems installing it, doesn't hang low and sounds really good. Although it ain't SS like magnaflow... For the cost it's a good X-pipe! That's just my advice...

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. SilverCobra, what do you think of your Steggy upgrade? That is something else I have been considering lately too. I have heard good things, but what do you say about it?

MysticChromeSVT

Established Member
Do you need a tune with a catted xpipe if everything else is stock? I have borla stingers and was going to add a bassani catted xpipe but i dont want to ever tune the car. I just want a little more sound...

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. SilverCobra, what do you think of your Steggy upgrade? That is something else I have been considering lately too. I have heard good things, but what do you say about it?
How does a 55rwhp & 30rwtq sound! Great service... Bob will take care of you on whatever your needs.:thumbsup:

Do you need a tune with a catted xpipe if everything else is stock? I have borla stingers and was going to add a bassani catted xpipe but i dont want to ever tune the car. I just want a little more sound...
Should be fine... A little more flow wont hurt anything.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i ran borla stingers with the stock h-pipe for 7 years. sounded good, but then added this bassani catted-x pipe.

immediately became one of the best mods i have done to the car, should have done it alot earlier

03MACH04SVT

MYSTICHROME
Established Member

you won't need a tune but if you have an 04 cobra you will need to purchase a set of O2 sensor extensions

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
I just put upr o/r x and magnaflow cb on and I am slightly disappointed. Sounds killer down low, but in the upper rpm's it gets raspy. It dosent sound horrible but I would like to continue the deep throaty tone all the way through the powerband. Any ideas?? Catted x....o/r or Catted h???

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
Currently have the stock mid-pipe with Borla Stinger cat back in my 03 Cobra. Considering an upgrade to an X-pipe. Currently looking at the Magnaflow Tru-X with cats, and the UPR X-pipe with cats.

Couple of questions: 1) Any recommendations one way or the other in regards to which brand, and why? 2)What's the fit and finish like for each (ground clearance, quality of materials, etc)? 3)Any particular problems with either one? 4)I see the price difference between the two is ~$200...why? Is there really that much of a noticeable difference in quality and performance from the Magnaflow to be that much more? 5) What kind of increase in sound can I expect? Drone?
1. The Magnaflow is stainless whereas the UPR is not
2. Have no personal experience with MAG X but have heard it fits well, can say I had a UPR off road X and it fit well, good fitment and ground clearance
3. I did not like the " thinness" of the metal on my UPR, felt kinda cheap
4. The $$$ difference gets you full stainless with really good cats, and a proven name
5. I switched recently from my off road UPR to a catted stainless VRS X and did notice a more clean mellow tone, a bit more drone than when it was catless, but I did gain back some sotp torque feel ..... Out of the two you listed I'd get the Mag but you should check out the VRS one too ( same shape as UPR, but full stainless and uses MAG cats ) mine fits well and I saved a nice chunk of $$$ vs buying the Magnaflow

I just put upr o/r x and magnaflow cb on and I am slightly disappointed. Sounds killer down low, but in the upper rpm's it gets raspy. It dosent sound horrible but I would like to continue the deep throaty tone all the way through the powerband. Any ideas?? Catted x....o/r or Catted h???

I ran that same combo for almost three years. Loved it at times but hated it too. I got sick of the tinny sound it made without the cats, plus the smell off an off road pipe does not match this car well. Once I put a catted pipe back on I felt the torque come back along with a good clean sound from idle to redline ( no more farty blat sound ). I suggest adding cats to your existing setup or do what I did......see #5 answer above to the OP's post

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Where in KS are you? I have a catless Magnaflow x laying around and a lift in my shop. You could try it for the hell of it if your interested. I went to bassani ceramic coated mid length headers and then had to use their piece of shit modular x pipe. I love their headers but was quite unimpressed with the bassani x pipe system. Always kicked around cutting down the magnaflow and putting it back on but don't have enough time to fix what ain't broke.

Vicious805cobra

Established Member
1. The Magnaflow is stainless whereas the UPR is not
2. Have no personal experience with MAG X but have heard it fits well, can say I had a UPR off road X and it fit well, good fitment and ground clearance
3. I did not like the " thinness" of the metal on my UPR, felt kinda cheap
4. The $$$ difference gets you full stainless with really good cats, and a proven name
5. I switched recently from my off road UPR to a catted stainless VRS X and did notice a more clean mellow tone, a bit more drone than when it was catless, but I did gain back some sotp torque feel ..... Out of the two you listed I'd get the Mag but you should check out the VRS one too ( same shape as UPR, but full stainless and uses MAG cats ) mine fits well and I saved a nice chunk of $$$ vs buying the Magnaflow

How much is that vrs catted x?

MysticChromeSVT

Established Member
Where in KS are you? I have a catless Magnaflow x laying around and a lift in my shop. You could try it for the hell of it if your interested. I went to bassani ceramic coated mid length headers and then had to use their piece of shit modular x pipe. I love their headers but was quite unimpressed with the bassani x pipe system. Always kicked around cutting down the magnaflow and putting it back on but don't have enough time to fix what ain't broke.

How do those headers fit?? They say some modification necesary.. Would they work with bassani x and borla stingers??

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I had zero fitment issues with the headers. They are a tight fit putting the collector on but they fit very nicely on the car. But I also had the whole k member out and off to the side while the car was on the lift so having ample room definitely facilitated the install.

xxjaymanzxx

Established Member

you have a video i was gonna do this setup?

Users who are viewing this thread