X Pipe Help - Those who have switched from O/R X-pipe back to Catted or anything else

Silver TT

Established Member
Guys -

Need your opinions. Car currently has Mac LTs, Lethal O/R X-pipe, Magnaflow Catback. I absolutely love how the car sounds at idle, revving, and WOT, but it is just plain painful at highway cruising speeds. The drone is really bad and after a 90 mile trip last night my wife told me she hates the car and pretty much won't go in it anymore. We have to get an SUV anyway and keep the Cobra as a toy but regardless I would like to be able to drive on the highway without a headache myself.

I switched from Stingers to Magnaflow which did help reduce the drone a bit and overall volume but its still not tolerable. Also tried driving the car to accommodate for the sound, avoiding 1900-2100 at all costs but its just not practical as 75 cruising in 6th is pretty much the worst possible of all rpms.

So those who have switched out from a Off Road (no cats) X-pipe - what did you switch do and did it make a big difference in overall volume? Does the car lose that crazy scream at WOT or does it still sound good?

I really love the way the car is setup for driving like a hooligan but its pretty much awful for highway driving.

Guess my options are Catted X pipe or Mac Pro-chamber given I have Mac LTs already. Thanks for the opinions.

mach1033

Established Member
Ok here goes. My first set up was stock manifolds with magnaflow catted x pipe and there catback. It was very quiet and I was able to have a conversion. I also had the dynomax 3 inch catback and believe it or not it had zero drone at 2k. This was with MAC LT's and catted lethal x pipe. In my opinion you have a great set up. Go with the catted x pipe and see how u like it. And no you won't feel a drastic loss of power.

Silver TT

Established Member
Ok here goes. My first set up was stock manifolds with magnaflow catted x pipe and there catback. It was very quiet and I was able to have a conversion. I also had the dynomax 3 inch catback and believe it or not it had zero drone at 2k. This was with MAC LT's and catted lethal x pipe. In my opinion you have a great set up. Go with the catted x pipe and see how u like it. And no you won't feel a drastic loss of power.

Thanks Mach...so you are saying the catted X-pipe will reduce the drone on its own or do you think it also had to do with the dynomax? Seems the O/R X pipes are a big cause of drone but would like more opinions before I order a catted X pipe and swap it out because I'm already on my third exhaust trying to reduce drone but keep the incredible WOT sound.

If anyone has a video of MAC LTs, Lethal Catted X-pipe, Magnaflow CB that would be great to hear.

Last edited:

Comp04svt

Established Member
This is the exact combo I had on my car before switching out to ARH. Ive personally played the game of switching to a prochamber and I dout it will give you what you want. Cats will really tone it down and itll still scream up top. Plus I still have the catted x if you wanna buy it, lol.

Video

racebronco2

Established Member
I have the mac lt's and lethals catted x-pipe with a magnaflow catback. As long as you don't go over 2000rpms in the city it's about as quiet as other cobra's with a catback only. I don't have the drone at all and on the highway i can still have a conversation. At wot it screams, alot of people have told me that they really like the sound of my car.

mach1033

Established Member
Thanks Mach...so you are saying the catted X-pipe will reduce the drone on its own or do you think it also had to do with the dynomax? Seems the O/R X pipes are a big cause of drone but would like more opinions before I order a catted X pipe and swap it out because I'm already on my third exhaust trying to reduce drone but keep the incredible WOT sound.

If anyone has a video of MAC LTs, Lethal Catted X-pipe, Magnaflow CB that would be great to hear.

Not sure what the difference in drone would be with LT's as compare to stock manifolds. I had no drone at all with my first set up. The only reason I removed the dynomax 3 inch catback was because I couldnt polish them worth of sht. But then I kinda got smart and decided to powder coat them with magnaflow race mufflers. Here is a pic. And no I dont suggest this set up for you lol.
331869[/ATTACH]"]
Picture058.jpg

331871[/ATTACH]"]
Picture055.jpg

Attachments

• Picture058.jpg
    Picture058.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture055.jpg
    Picture055.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 33

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Stock manifolds, Bassani High-flo cats, and Bassani cat back. i have no issues

Silver TT

Established Member
This is the exact combo I had on my car before switching out to ARH. Ive personally played the game of switching to a prochamber and I dout it will give you what you want. Cats will really tone it down and itll still scream up top. Plus I still have the catted x if you wanna buy it, lol.

Video

Redfire - your car sounds great. I really like how tame it is under normal driving but still has that scream at WOT. I think this is the direction I will need to go.

You say you still have the catted X? Will send you a PM.

tonylittell

Texas sized Balls!
Established Member
I have Mac Long Tubes, leathal o/r x-pipe and Bassani cat back with no drone. if in the throttle its loud though... I will try and get a sound clip for you today

Silver TT

Established Member
I have Mac Long Tubes, leathal o/r x-pipe and Bassani cat back with no drone. if in the throttle its loud though... I will try and get a sound clip for you today

That is surprising...what I am referring to as "drone" is not really any kind of reverberating noise or anything but more of a raw / unrefined "loudness" that doesn't sound good and seems to come up straight through the floor panels at anything over 1/4 throttle and mostly around 1900-2100.

SVTChris10

Established Member
I have MAC LT's, Lethal Offroad X, and your 3" MAC Catback, and surprisingly I have no drone at all. I was very surprised because my car is obnoxiously loud. My old GT had the worst drone ever with just an offroad H pipe, I guess I just got lucky with this setup because I can have conversations with ease.

Users who are viewing this thread