X-Pipe---H-Pipe myth question!!

REDFIREKNIGHT

SVT XENON GURU
Established Member
From what ive read and other Cobra guys told me that....

If do an x-pipe on my Borla set up it will sound like crap but you will build top end power and loose torque.

Others say if I go with H-pipe it will sound ok but not as good as the stock h but I will build good torque but loose top end power.

So I need the exhaust mythbusters guy who ran these set ups with their borla stingers on their Termis to speak the truth.:beer:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The Borla's at the end of the equation really have no bearing. The difference in performance from a X to a H is literally insignificant and folks generally make their choice based on sound. The X will sound more tinny/NASCARish, while the H will sound most throaty/old school muscle car.

Both will assist in the removal of flow restrictions inthe factory mid pipe system which will aid in upper rpm performance and yes, could probably slightly decrease torque production.

SuperChrg'd02GT

5LPWR
Established Member
Found this on flowmastermufflers.com:

"Is an "X" pipe better than and "H" pipe?
Over the years, Flowmaster's testing of all types of crossovers, including "X pipes", has revealed no substantial benefits over a properly installed "H" pipe on street driven applications. However, in race applications with small cubic inch engines and /or restricted (small bore) carburetors, will respond well to the addition of X pipes, tri-y styled collectors and/or properly designed single exhaust systems."

hope this answers your question...

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
IronTerp said:
The Borla's at the end of the equation really have no bearing. The difference in performance from a X to a H is literally insignificant and folks generally make their choice based on sound. The X will sound more tinny/NASCARish, while the H will sound most throaty/old school muscle car.

Both will assist in the removal of flow restrictions inthe factory mid pipe system which will aid in upper rpm performance and yes, could probably slightly decrease torque production.

Well said. It really just comes down to personal opinions. I will say that the MRT H is a good piece but a little pricey.

REDFIREKNIGHT said:
From what ive read and other Cobra guys told me that....

If do an x-pipe on my Borla set up it will sound like crap but you will build top end power and loose torque.

Others say if I go with H-pipe it will sound ok but not as good as the stock h but I will build good torque but loose top end power.

So I need the exhaust mythbusters guy who ran these set ups with their borla stingers on their Termis to speak the truth.:beer:

While I am a full Bassani man...I have seen enough clips of a catted Bassani X with Borla Stinger combos to know its a winning combination. I personally love the sound and if my BX Bassani CB rusts and falls apart after the upcoming Jerzey winter, its a Stinger CB that will be replacing it!

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
he said hes going with a borla stinger c/b and most people agree that the only midpipe that sounds good with the stingers is a bassani catted x.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I've had the Bassani o/r, the MRT H o/r and the MAC o/r Prochamber with my Stingers. They're all loud!
The MRT is deep and has lots of drone.
The Basssani is raspy and has drone too.
The MAC Prochamber sounds the best but it too get loud although not as much as the other 2.
You do feel the loss of tq on all of them.
The stock H does sound best but its alittle on the quiet side.
The MAC sound the best from those three midpipes.
I've thought of welding a Prochamber onto my stock mid.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
rai_281 said:
he said hes going with a borla stinger c/b and most people agree that the only midpipe that sounds good with the stingers is a bassani catted x.

I think most Terminator owners will say the the MRT H/Stinger combo is the best sound. At least from what I have found.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
IronTerp said:

+1. Another great post from Iron Terp.

Also, personally, I am a die hard chamber muffler guy and I love the deep, classic muscle car tone. With that being said, I really don't care too much for mostly anything that's not chambered. BUT, the Borla Stinger/Bassani X Combo is sounds damn good!

I gotta give credit where credit is due. That's the only non-chambered muffler combo I'd ever consider. Listen to the soundclips in Screamin' Cobra's signature and give it some good thought :thumbsup:

beabout

Established Member
X or H does not have that much difference in HP/TQ numbers to bother a street application. It is a matter of sound preferences. The best way to decide what you want is find someone local to you that has the setup you are thinking of and give it a real time listen. A good source would be a local mustang or svt club near you.

I have and have had since fall of 2002 a Bassani system from manifold back. Used Bassani cats as I think a street car without cats sounds awfull.

JM02:beer:

REDFIREKNIGHT

SVT XENON GURU
Established Member
Thanks everyone. After I get my mid pipes, I might have to get that pulley and tune to equal out that tq loss.

Also one last thing. What is the fall and goods with the non catted o/r mids. My teachers always said that runing with out them doesnt make much power diff. They will just run off the unburned HCs and you will smell like gasoline.

What you guys think about that?

Great help thanks everyone.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
X vs. H on these cars is really just a matter of tone choice.

I have seen *some* 2V cars respond REALLY well to the Dr. Gas X; but thats the only one that seems to make any real power difference.

I'm running the MRT catte H and love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything really. From everything I've heard and can tell the Bassani X w/Stingers had interior drone...BUT I've talked to Andrew (Screamin) on the phone with him driving and can't hear the exhaust at all hardly. I can actually hear the blower whine more......

When he's not whining about missing his Whipple. :p

Users who are viewing this thread