x-pipe drone

ml110

Established Member
Do all xpipes drone? Ive been in both bassani, and Magnaflow
x-pipe setups and cat backs and the drone is annoying after time.
The factory setup with just a cat back ther is no drone..
maybe I'm to picky but driving with that drone would drive me nuts:??: Ther cats they put on these systems must be sub-standard...

ml110

Established Member
where can you get these baffles? Are they universal?
I have a Steeda Cat back 3 1/2 tips.. Thanks

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
X-pipe drone? My understanding and experience is that the drone usually comes from the catback, not the X-pipe. I had a Magnaflow catted-X and catback installed and had a horrible drone at 1900-2000 rpms. Bassani baffles didn't help a bit. Pulled the catback back and re-installed the stock catback. Left the Magnaflow catted-x on. No drone whatsoever.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
It's not the x pipe that is droning. It's the mufflers.

My Bassani has no notable drone.

You want drone... try a MAC.

ml110

Established Member
Thats strange because, after putting on the factory cats and
pipe back on the drone is non-existant ,with a steeda cat back ( borla)

confusion?

wtw5974

Head Chef
Established Member
I have the Steeda X-pipe and Cad-back. I don't have this problem. :shrug: I generaly drive this car with the RPMs higher than 2k.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If there's a drone it will show up in the 1,700 - 2,000 rpm range. Doesn't matter whether you're in 4th, 5th or 6th. It's the rpm range. When cruising at those rpms you will experience a drone to some degree with most/all of the aftermarket catbacks. I've had numerous systems over the years on different vehicles and the infamous drone seems to be a nature of the beast. If some of you don't notice it or accept it, then that's great. But I don't believe it doesn't exist on the Bassani system, or any aftermarket system for that matter. The louder the system the worse any drone will be.

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
I am curious as to why Bassani doesn't make a true X-pipe like the DR. Gas Xpipe. I have the Bassani now and i'm putting the DR.Gas one on Friday so I'll let you know the difference on the dyno and the sound.

wtw5974

Head Chef
Established Member
Originally posted by ml110
I'm reffering to 6th gear on the highway, cruising speed...

Any aftermarket exhaust system will be like that in that gear (6th) at lets say 60-75mph, I don't use 6th until I'm over 80mph.

wtw5974

Head Chef
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
If there's a drone it will show up in the 1,700 - 2,000 rpm range. Doesn't matter whether you're in 4th, 5th or 6th. It's the rpm range. When cruising at those rpms you will experience a drone to some degree with most/all of the aftermarket catbacks. I've had numerous systems over the years on different vehicles and the infamous drone seems to be a nature of the beast. If some of you don't notice it or accept it, then that's great. But I don't believe it doesn't exist on the Bassani system, or any aftermarket system for that matter. The louder the system the worse any drone will be.

Sorry, I repeated what you said. Ooops:bash:

:lol:

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
When cruising at those rpms you will experience a drone to some degree with most/all of the aftermarket catbacks. I've had numerous systems over the years on different vehicles and the infamous drone seems to be a nature of the beast. If some of you don't notice it or accept it, then that's great. But I don't believe it doesn't exist on the Bassani system, or any aftermarket system for that matter. The louder the system the worse any drone will be.

I have the stock exhaust on my 03.

BUT... on my 98 Cobra I have a BBK H-pipe (offroad) with the stock catback. No drone ever.

I bet it's the catbacks/mufflers that drone. Not the midpipe.

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Drone is definitely tied to the cat-back and somewhat connected to the mid-pipe. The stock h-pipe has four cats which muffle a lot of the exhaust sound and weaken the exhaust pulses. Aftermarket mid-pipes have either two high-flow cats or no cats so they allow more noise to travel to the mufflers. The muffler design has a lot to do with drone. Ford designs some pretty restrictive mufflers that reduce the exhaust noise, and thus drone, considerably. Again, most aftermarket mufflers are less restrictive than stock and are thus louder and produce more drone.

-Nino

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
ok....kind of off topic...
But if someone were to leave the stock cat-back and change the mid-pipe to avoid the drone...how much power we one be missing by not upgrading the cat-back?

Just curious

JSHTROD

Established Member
Originally posted by Bizarro
ok....kind of off topic...
But if someone were to leave the stock cat-back and change the mid-pipe to avoid the drone...how much power we one be missing by not upgrading the cat-back?

Just curious

It seems the big restriction in the 03 cobra IS the catback. Many only swapping the catback experience good gains, yet those only doing the midpipe, are dissapointed.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread