X or H?

Harley55

Established Member
Whats up guys, the names Harley and I have a general question about my 03. As of right now I have a 2 chamber flowmaster catback system and a mac o/r h-pipe. I noticed when I put the h-pipe on, I lost hp, it felt as if when I stepped on the gas, it had a delay before it kicked in unlike with my stock h. I had a 99 cobra and I ran an o/r x, I was thinking of going back to that, but do you guys suggest I buy an o/r x or get a catted x?

Thanks

Last edited:

wizdawg

aka... Brian
Established Member
I personally will never buy an X pipe again. ESPECIALLY an O/R. If you want an X, get a catted. I will be getting a catted H-pipe next.

My opinion is solely based on sound preference, not performance.

Are you basically stock still?

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
You probably didnt actually lose any power persay. You may have moved the torque higher into the powerband with releasing the back pressure off the motor. This happened to me also when I went wit LT headers, Bassani X pipe and the catback on the GT. If you do want to go with an X pipe (which IMO is always the best choice) then you may want to consider getting rid of the Slowmasters. Any match of a chambered muffler and an X pipe is going to give you a simply horrid drone from 2000 to 3500 rpms. It will kill your ears. The best advice ive taken and given is X pipe goes with non baffeled mufflers such ad Magnaflow or Bassani, and H pipes are best with chambered mufflers such as your Flowmasters. If you use a non-baffeled muffler with an H pipe, then it will sound like a 1970 Dodge pick-up with Glass Packs! LOL But its your car and Im just throwing out some advice. Good luck either way.

DitchTehFish

Established Member
I would never mate an X pipe with chambered mufflers(Flowmaster). Stick with what you have, it's a good combination, especially for sound. Although, I think any O/R midpipe is to loud! If I had Flowmasters, I would have went with the MRT catted H pipe, no doubt! BTW, you don't "lose" power when upgrading your midpipe. It may "feel" like it because of less backpressure, but ultimately you're flowing more air, and you'll gain more power up top(especially with an X).

Last edited:

1 Bad Snake

Established Member
Well, tell me what you guys think of this set up i have kooks long tubes 1 3/4 into a 3' kooks x pipe with 3' 2 chamber flowmaters and 3' mac cat back into 3.5 tips!!! Freakin crazy! I love it and would not change it for anything eles. If you like your car loud then this is the way if not then this is not for you. btw i plan on making 700 hp so this is why i have what i have.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread