X or H , what sounds the best??

SVTDOHC1997

Established Member
Ok, I'm gonna finally make the final exhaust change. I currently run 2 chamber Flowmasters on a mostly stock 97 Cobra. I have a buddy that just put an off-road H on his 2001 GT that has 2 chamber Flows, Killer sound. But what about on the 4V??? Sound is important, but then so is the performance, can anyone advise on the question of X or H, with or without cats??

Ginsu

Established Member
I vote for a Basanni off road X but I have a 302 which sounds different. Don should pop in here soon and he can give you better insight. He has a Basanni X with cats on a 97.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Bassani w/cats

with 2 chambers also. It sounds really good, not as deep as the H but it has the exotic high pitch wail at higher RPMS the H doesn't have. I have heard if you run an off road X that you should use pass through mufflers not chambered. But with a catalytic X pipe, 2 chambers sounds great.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
This has already been through a lenghty debate. ;) I still cast my vote for the Basanni just like Rob! It has more of a Ferrari type sound and the HP is superior over the entire rpm band over the H. Sound comes down to preference, but performance wise the Basanni is the winner in my book hands down. ;) :D

kwiksnake

Established Member
I too have to go for the Bassani, it just sounds better. High rpm's sound really great, and not too obnoxious either. But then again I have the Borla XR-1's instead of flowmasters too.

Dyno

Established Member
Info in the May 2000 5.0 magazine will give you some good info.

I run the Dr. Gas X and have also ran the H pipe. I perfer the X.
Seat of the pants dyno, X pulls better on the bottom.

The Heddman X worked the best of the X Pipes in the test.

Keith

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Still can't decide between the X or the Pro-Chamber....
I have time though, gotta get it running right first.

Todd

Established Member
Bassani With no CATS, I love it it got rid of all 4 cats and its lovely sounding, when you hit that gas YOULL HEAR IT and then some!

Ginsu

Established Member
Originally posted by ToddDelPo
Bassani With no CATS, I love it it got rid of all 4 cats and its lovely sounding, when you hit that gas YOULL HEAR IT and then some!

Yup the Bassani off road X does sound off :eek: :rolling: :p

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Nah. Rob doesn't have cats on his. I, on the otherhand do have them. I think it still sounds very distinct and is a nice addition to ANY Stang. :D

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Is There A Smilie For 'Went Over Your Head'?

Yes, but the point was GA must be the only state where it's LEGAL to have an off-road exhaust for a street car ;)
Just a little good natured razzin'....

Shawn98GT

Established Member
Not a Cobra owner, but I have a Bassani X with cat's on my GT. Love the sound, and I get comments all the time about how it sounds so clean. Like it was said earlier, gives it a Ferrari, excotic car sound. Also I have heard a Bassani off road X on a 99GT. Sounds sweet.:D
Shawn

Low151

Established Member
Sorry to add a question to an old post,

But I have a 97 Cobra with 2 chamber Flows. I want something that is definitely louder, but clean sounding. I have heard guys around here with GT's that gutted their cats and it just doesnt sound clean enough for me. What is my best alternative. I have heard good things about the BBK pipe. Somebody wanna help me out here? Thanks LOW

SVTDOHC1997

Established Member
WENT WITH THE NO-CAT BASSANI

Sorry that it took so long to post a reply, problems that kept me from posting. Anyhow, I got rid of the cats and went with the Bassani. Was delivered to KY from Dugan in about 3 days! The quality of fit and finish on the Bassani cannot be praised enough, no problems and best of all, NO LEAKS! I couldn't believe the difference in performance, combination of the X design and getting rid of the cats really woke the 4V up! As for the sound, it's a bit loud, but that's not a problem where I live. At higher RPM's she really talks to ya, nothing like cruising down I-71 at 130mph with the windows down. Wish I'd done it sooner!!!!!!!!!

COBRASVT

Established Member
Re: WENT WITH THE NO-CAT BASSANI

Originally posted by SVTDOHC1997
Sorry that it took so long to post a reply, problems that kept me from posting. Anyhow, I got rid of the cats and went with the Bassani. Was delivered to KY from Dugan in about 3 days! The quality of fit and finish on the Bassani cannot be praised enough, no problems and best of all, NO LEAKS! I couldn't believe the difference in performance, combination of the X design and getting rid of the cats really woke the 4V up! As for the sound, it's a bit loud, but that's not a problem where I live. At higher RPM's she really talks to ya, nothing like cruising down I-71 at 130mph with the windows down. Wish I'd done it sooner!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the purchase. I love my Bassani o/r X with Borla XR1's. Coming form an o/r H and 2 chamber flows, I couldn't believe how clean and mean the new setup would sound.:D :D

fangstang

Established Member
I have an Off-road BBK X-pipe on my 2001 cobra and it sounds like an animal. Every time I drive it I seem to scare someone into getting out of my way or backing out of a confrontation. I love it! It also really adds A LOT of upper rpm (4,000-redline) power. I mean it really pins you to the seat and on occasion will scare the shit out of me. I really dont know what you are into as far as sound or power inprovement, but all I know is it is the best thing Ive put into my car. I would DEFINITLY recommend this pipe for a mustang, ESPECIALLY a Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread