Wtf Roush 427r?

SL0W5.0

Established Member
Encountered a 05-09 body style roush 427r while driving my 14' 5.0 m6 3.73 and he really wanted to mess around. I immediately agreed since most of the time i enounter ""fast cars" is in traffic or when im driving my moms corolla". from 40 in 2nd i expected him to put buses on me since im pretty sure those are supercharged and all i have is exhaust and intake with bama 93. We went at it and i jumped ahead and actually put a couple cars on him? Did i just beat a supercharged v8 with a mostly stock n/a? Wtf is the 4.6 that bad. Is that body style heavier than the 2014? Or maybe needed driver mod.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
I have driven one, and while an absolute blast, they are not much stock, I'd say 360-380 wheel car from the factory..they are rated at 435 hp stock crank hp. Fun buggers but it makes sense, he may have witnessed the loss coming to him and he lifted.

Blackoyote

Established Member
OP, I had the same mindset the first time I raced one in my Coyote. When I drove my buddies a few years ago, I remember them being a LOT faster.

OneSlowV

Established Member
They run ok about what a 6.1 hemi or ls3 camaro runs like. But watch out for the tune and pullied 427s they can hurt some feelings.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
nice kill they are stock vs stock a good race vs a stock new 5.0 435hp, vs 412-420hp for stock new 5.0, cant beat a new 5.0 esp vs a older 4.6, sad that only 3 years prior it took a supercharged 4.6 to make same or less power then a new 5.0 liter n.a motor. but they are hands down sexy! a new /newer 2010-2014 roush and older saleens are some of the sexiest stock mustangs around I think saleen and roush look amazing!

always have nice spoilers and rims but im bias with my saleen rims and spoiler on my sn95 car lol

SL0W5.0

Established Member
they do look very aggressive.
now i have to try and find a bone stock 08-ish GT500 because ive heard its also a drivers race with a lightly modded 5.0

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
owned an 07, drove it 4 years, sold it when I drove 5.0, but it was a fun car for the time, liked the handling...but time goes on

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
The coyote is a great engine. Obviously more displacement than the 3V 4.6 so I would expect more power in N/A form.

Coyote is 100 more HP than the stock 3V with higher compression. I suspect Roush only delivered 435 crank HP out of fear of breaking internals.

Nice win but I think it is more of an undertuned 3V versus the true potential of the 3V.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
The coyote is a great engine. Obviously more displacement than the 3V 4.6 so I would expect more power in N/A form.

Coyote is 100 more HP than the stock 3V with higher compression. I suspect Roush only delivered 435 crank HP out of fear of breaking internals.

Nice win but I think it is more of an undertuned 3V versus the true potential of the 3V.

this is true because a local kid had a 2007 gt with same roush blower that comes stock on the roush cars and he was pushing like 8psi and he made lil over 400rwhp, and stock the roush cars are like 360rwhp with 5psi, so pulley and exaust and they will make the crank hp of what they are rated stock with more boost, they just were worried about warranty and stock bottom end, that and 2valve and 3 valve supercharged cars were 350-435hp from 1999 to 2010, which was more then = power to the other cars of there time even vettes and porsche was 400+hp cars then,now today everything is 500-600hp. so thats why ford turned up the power to 400-662hp in the mustang.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1. Supercharged from Ford and so on will always be under tuned and running rich. There's a reason why most factory sc'd cars gain a good amount from tune alone. My 05 mustang gt had bolt on's, cams, and email tune made 330rwhp. Data logging it showed that I prob had another 5-10rwhp on the table. And it ran high 12's with a bad 60'. That's not to far away from that 427 which shows its on a weak tune and under boosted.

Still a win is a win and the 5.0's are no joke.

Last edited:

rfugio68

Established Member
I almost bought a white 427r before I bought my 5.0. It sounded good but my excitement came To an end when I test drove a stock 2013 and it felt much stronger than the sc v8...

Greenwood1982

Established Member
They run ok about what a 6.1 hemi or ls3 camaro runs like. But watch out for the tune and pullied 427s they can hurt some feelings.

I agree, once you start to slightly mod those sc 427's they dive right into a whole other ball park.

I used to own a 3v Bullitt. Loved the way it sounded, loved the way it drove, but I was always so damn bummed about the power they made. It took so much to get such little power out of those guys. The 5.0's are completely superior to that engine in every form.

427R

Established Member
Not bad man. I agree these cars come pretty weak from the factory. I have the 2.49 pulley, FRPP throttle body, Detroit Rocker cams with a dyno tune and it's definitely a different animal now.

CaDDy

Banned
Not bad man. I agree these cars come pretty weak from the factory. I have the 2.49 pulley, FRPP throttle body, Detroit Rocker cams with a dyno tune and it's definitely a different animal now.

Nice kill OP!

I ran a 05-08 GT w/ the old Roushcharger a Roush body kit and wheels w/stock Roush tune. (Midwest Svt Challenge around 5 years or so back in Indiana at US 41)

I had O/R H, borla's, factory wheels/tires and a tune and intake from the same guys that put the TVS on my car. We raced 2 times and he was a half car behind the first time we raced and he beat me in a bracket race by a .02 the second time around, going on to win $150. We were running 13.0 - 13.2's I was trapping 108 mph I can't remember his, sorry. Moral of the story? The stock Roush tunes suck (power wise) and it comes down to drivers . I should have lost handily by all accounts.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
If I remember correctly they are called 427 because that is the amount of HP they have.

Isn't that less than you have? Not a surprising outcome at all.

Good kill

Users who are viewing this thread