WTF. James Snover get in here.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
You are welcome to come have at it whenever you want to. Its what I do so the novelty is pretty well gone. Ten or so hours running the hydraulic saw is my day at the office.

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
The blanket of the atmosphere represents a huge mass. It is, more or less, spinning at the same rate the Earth is. Local variations account for wind and weather, and there is also the coriolis force, and, just for laughs, differential heating from the oceans, the landmasses and the sun, and the whole day/night thing, too ... but, in general the atmosphere is moving with the Earth. Why this is important: you _could_ hover with your helicopter for two hours and land roughly 2,000 miles away ... _if_ your helicopter could fly at an airspeed over 2,000 miles per hour. Odds are that it can't, and the maximum airspeed it can achieve is considerably under 2,000 miles per hour, so in a very real way, your helicopter is getting dragged along with the atmosphere.

So how can you get somewhere if the land under you is receding at 1,000mph, and you can only travel 600mph? Again, we go back to the ocean of air being dragged along with nearly the same rate of speed as the Earth's rotation. The atmosphere is already going (nearly, roughly, approximately) the same 1,000mph as the planet, add in your 600mph of airspeed at which your airplane can cruise, and you are, relative to an outside observer in orbit, going a total of 1,600mph.

More airplane fun: I once got to go for a ride in an old Navy biplane used as a trainer back in WWII. I forget the official designation of the airplane, but I remember that unofficially it was called "The Yellow Peril." Neat little open-cockpit biplane, but it could only reach an airspeed of about 75mph. We got into an 80mph headwind. I looked down, and I saw that the airplane was going backwards. Happy as it could be, cruising right along, backwards.

The pilot turned us around, and when we got back to our 75mph of airspeed, in what was now an 80mph tailwind, we were now going 155mph over the ground, even though the airspeed was only 75mph.

And another poser for relative velocities: Whenever possible, rockets bound for orbit like to take off as close to the equator as it can get, and fly eastward, along the equator. This gives a rocket a big boost in speed from flying in the direction of the Earth's spin.

Your Dad probably knows all this, and yeah, he's messing with you.

And now it makes sense. Thanks for the great post James! I had a feeling you could answer this in detail for me. I'm sure my dad and I will have a nice chat about this tomorrow. I appreciate the response from yourself and those who helped. I literally laughed out loud imagining you flying in a plane backwords. Seriously hilarious!

1KleenSVT

Established Member
Was this the Aircraft you were talking about?

20130704_222317_zpsfe9ca9ed.jpg

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
There is a thermal time portal at 30,000 ft. You fly inside and because of of the space time ionic flow you are transported to wherever you are going. As you know because you're in a pressurized cabin the effects of the STC are reduced by half.Therefore time, for you remains unchanged.Otherwise you would get to where you're going before you left.

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Rod Serling tried to tell the world about the time portal, back in the sixties. He called that episode "The Odyssey of Flight 33." He had to dress it up as fiction because the environmentalists didn't want big game hunters going back in time and hunting dinosaurs. Even so, the environmentalists still got Serling's show shut down.

True story.

There is a thermal time portal at 30,000 ft. You fly inside and because of of the space time ionic flow you are transported to wherever you are going. As you know because you're in a pressurized cabin the effects of the STC are reduced by half.Therefore time, for you remains unchanged.Otherwise you would get to where you're going before you left.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Also, if the earth is spinning from west to east at 1000mph and I am flying to New York at 600mph, how the hell can I ever get to NY?

Jump up in the air and see if you can make the Iowa boarder... :lol1:

E

Users who are viewing this thread