WTF. James Snover get in here.

LOL WUT

+65,000
Established Member
Okay so getting ready to fly to LA and we had a 3 hour delay, after a beer (several) my dad purposes these questions. He's a smart guy so I'm not sure if he's mind ****ing me, I'm retarded, or both. I could google but svtp always has better answers.

The circumfence of the Earth is just under 25,000 miles. It takes roughly 24 hours for a day to go by. So the earth is spinning at 1000 mph? If that's the case why can't I fly a helicopter up and hover for two hours then come straight back down and land in LA?

Also, if the earth is spinning from west to east at 1000mph and I am flying to New York at 600mph, how the hell can I ever get to NY?

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Yes, you are spinning at roughly 1000 mph. The Earth is also orbiting the sun at around 50,000 mph IIRC.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ken03KBGTvert

Established Member
For the same reason that if while you were on the airplane and it was flying across the country at 600mph and you stood up in the aisle and jumped in the air you would land in the same spot.

We're not just "spinning" around at 1000mph, we're also orbiting around the sun really fast too (really, really fast).

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Okay so getting ready to fly to LA and we had a 3 hour delay, after a beer (several) my dad purposes these questions. He's a smart guy so I'm not sure if he's mind ****ing me, I'm retarded, or both. I could google but svtp always has better answers.

The circumfence of the Earth is just under 25,000 miles. It takes roughly 24 hours for a day to go by. So the earth is spinning at 1000 mph? If that's the case why can't I fly a helicopter up and hover for two hours then come straight back down and land in LA?

Also, if the earth is spinning from west to east at 1000mph and I am flying to New York at 600mph, how the hell can I ever get to NY?

TomsMindBlown.gif

openaccount

Established Member

Relativity.

Using your numbers Relative to anypoint outside of earth you are rotating at 1000mph +/- your ground speed.

To a Martian you are moving at 1600mph during your flight.

4601S/C

Established Member
The same reason you can jump inside the same airplane and not become part of the wallpaper.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
It takes roughly 24 hours for a day to go by. So the earth is spinning at 1000 mph? If that's the case why can't I fly a helicopter up and hover for two hours then come straight back down and land in LA?

Yeah, teachers are clearly being underpaid...

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
What are you guys talking about the earth is flat like a table and it sure as hell doesnt spin.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The blanket of the atmosphere represents a huge mass. It is, more or less, spinning at the same rate the Earth is. Local variations account for wind and weather, and there is also the coriolis force, and, just for laughs, differential heating from the oceans, the landmasses and the sun, and the whole day/night thing, too ... but, in general the atmosphere is moving with the Earth. Why this is important: you _could_ hover with your helicopter for two hours and land roughly 2,000 miles away ... _if_ your helicopter could fly at an airspeed over 2,000 miles per hour. Odds are that it can't, and the maximum airspeed it can achieve is considerably under 2,000 miles per hour, so in a very real way, your helicopter is getting dragged along with the atmosphere.

So how can you get somewhere if the land under you is receding at 1,000mph, and you can only travel 600mph? Again, we go back to the ocean of air being dragged along with nearly the same rate of speed as the Earth's rotation. The atmosphere is already going (nearly, roughly, approximately) the same 1,000mph as the planet, add in your 600mph of airspeed at which your airplane can cruise, and you are, relative to an outside observer in orbit, going a total of 1,600mph.

More airplane fun: I once got to go for a ride in an old Navy biplane used as a trainer back in WWII. I forget the official designation of the airplane, but I remember that unofficially it was called "The Yellow Peril." Neat little open-cockpit biplane, but it could only reach an airspeed of about 75mph. We got into an 80mph headwind. I looked down, and I saw that the airplane was going backwards. Happy as it could be, cruising right along, backwards.

The pilot turned us around, and when we got back to our 75mph of airspeed, in what was now an 80mph tailwind, we were now going 155mph over the ground, even though the airspeed was only 75mph.

And another poser for relative velocities: Whenever possible, rockets bound for orbit like to take off as close to the equator as it can get, and fly eastward, along the equator. This gives a rocket a big boost in speed from flying in the direction of the Earth's spin.

Your Dad probably knows all this, and yeah, he's messing with you.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Sure it could spin, even if it was flat. It would be like an old vinyl record on a turntable.

What are you guys talking about the earth is flat like a table and it sure as hell doesnt spin.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Posts like this are a perfect example of why you have an sr-71 blackbird as your avatar....and I have a skid loader grabbing a tree as mine. I r dumb. But I do always enjoy reading your posts.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Skid loaders are cool. Skid loaders are what it's all about, when you've got trees that need to be dealt with.

Posts like this are a perfect example of why you have an sr-71 blackbird as your avatar....and I have a skid loader grabbing a tree as mine. I r dumb. But I do always enjoy reading your posts.

Users who are viewing this thread