Wtf is wrong with my clutch?

gt347mustang

Established Member
Finally took my car to the local track and...

Tried launching off the rev limiter and slipped the clutch too hard!

Now, I cant get the clutch to disengage! So, i had to start the car in 1st and drive home w/o the clutch.

Did i melt the disc to the flywheel or pressure plate?

btw, i have a spec 3+ with a 26 spline input.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
You know that used to happen to me on my old DSM sometimes. What would happen is one of the damper springs would come loose from the disc and get between the disc and PP and wouldn't allow it to release. Do you still have a stiff pedal? If so something similar may have happened to you. If you have a loose pedal anything from a broken cable to a bent or broken fork to a disentegrated TOB could cause it. No matter what the trans has to come out to know for sure, unless it's the cable....

gt347mustang

Established Member
Petal still feels perfect... the clutch fork still moves back and forth just fine.

Maybe i lost a spring or something? I'm tearing into it tomorrow to see whats up.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Update:

I pulled the clutch today...

When i pulled the pressure plate off heres what i saw:
2009-09-29124251.jpg

The disc was melted to the flywheel and i had to pry it off with a screw driver!

Heres what was left of the disc:
2009-09-29124825.jpg

2009-09-29124834.jpg

Just thought id share some pics of the carnage of the clutch.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Wow dude! I can only try to imagine just how much friction/heat it takes to actually fuse a clutch to the flywheel.:rolling:

gt347mustang

Established Member
The clutch had about 30k miles on it... it lasted through the ported eaton and 2.2KB! I really liked the spec 3+ and actually ordered an other to replace it!!!

I'd only have to rev it to about 4k with both the eaton and KB because id let the torque take the car off the line, but with the turbo i had to leave the line at much higher rpms to keep the turbo spooled. I think it lost some of the pressure on the disc cuz the disc was wearing down so much. It was a combo of many things that did this clutch in, mostly my dirving style. I don't blame the clutch for this failure and as i said ive already ordered an other one!

Users who are viewing this thread