WTB Cobra....need advice

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I'd hold off on the panhard bar for now. It is a good item, but it comes with a loss of clearance under the car. Since it really looks as though the car has been lowered that might be a bad thing.
You already have plenty of power for now. I'd work on traction to utilize all the power you do have on hand. Control arms can help, especially if you couple them together with slicks or drag radials. You may want to keep the stock shocks and struts for drag racing, unless you want to go with the drag launch shocks, struts, and springs.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Well... as for suggestions, I guess it all depends on what you have in mind for the car and what you are gonna do with it. Are you gonna drive it every day? Are you gonna just drag it, or auto X too? Weekend toy with a little of one or the other, or both? I have no problems spending other peoples money! :D I need more to spend, that's for sure.

BRAKES:
I'd say for non-race competition, the stock Cobra brakes are pretty good! A common upgrade is when you need front rotors, some people go with the '99-up rotors because Ford switched to Brembo rotors (also same on the Bullitt) on the '99-up's. They are a direct fit for the '94-'98's. It is said that these rotors have better wear characterisitcs and better heat resistance. As for pads well again that depends what you are gonna do with the car. For racing (auto X and whatnot), Hawk Blues seem to be a favorite. For the street, you could use the Hawk's, but you'd become real good at pad switching as they will not only stop you better, but wear kinda fast. You might be okay and happy with stock pads (or equivilant) replacements for the street.

STRUTS:
I still have stock for now... but it is said that for a lowered car it is best to get struts/shocks that match the lowered height of the springs.
Do you know for sure if you have stock ones? It will ride/perform a little better with aftermarket units.
It helps to know what you have in there for springs... any way to contact the original owner? Otherwise Koni's seem to be real popular (and spendy).

OTHER:
I would for sure get some subframe connectors on there. If you are not, find a qualified welder who is up to the task, as other welders notice sloppy welds, and welds do matter.

TIRES:
Here again, is this a weekend toy or a daily driver? I'll just pass along what I've got for my own personal experience here...
On mine, I got the Nitto DR's.
I don't drive it but on sunny days (but get caught in rain once in a while), and It's just my fun toy. I DO, however, drive 80+miles to the track, so I wanted a road-friendly sticky tire here. The Nitto's are perfect for me, and DO handle better than expected in the rain! They seem to have the longest wear #'s and I do recommend them for an edge on the street. Depending on what monster you got there for a blower though... you still might want a slick for the track.

Hope this helps!
~ Tim ~

CobraSeekr

Established Member
I'll hold off on the panhard, I didn't realize it hung low.

It is a weekend car--not a daily driver. I will frequent the 1/4 mile and might occasionialy take it to Thunderhill (road track). I just ordered the Nitto 555 R's drag radials, they will be here Mon. Might need two sets of rear tires???

I'm gonna take a closer look at the springs & struts this weekend. I might need some help identifying what I have. Subframes and control arms sound like the place to start.

I need back brakes yesterday. Front should be OK for a while, but I will definately check out the Cobra rotor set-up. Great tip there. Thx for the recommendation on the pads also.

This forum rocks! Thx again!

Users who are viewing this thread