WTB Cobra....need advice

CobraSeekr

Established Member
I think the Cobra's are the best combination of syle and performance per dollar. Where I need help is deciding on which Cobra to buy. I have a $13,000 budget and need some help from you Cobra owner's who know what's up.
1) 94-95 Cobra??
2) 96-98 Cobra??
3) Do I look for an Cobra with "all-motor" mod's or try to find a supercharged one??

I did find a 96 Cobra with a SC (Kenne-Belle 6 PSI) in my price range. Onwer says he ran a 12.2!! I don't know if I should jump on it or try to find a N/A with mod's. I'm in CA so it will need to pass our f**ked up smog requirements.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I'm partial to the 96-98 models but then again I have a 96. I had the same questions as you RE: 5.0 or 4.6,
I never thought about finding one that was blown but had I ran accross one I would definitly have checked it out!! I had my eye on a 95 and the 96 I presently own. I went with the 96 because of the 305 HP and the Black leather interior. (*same mileage)
I liked starting off with a higher HP machine and a couple more 'goodies' I bought mine for $12,500 with 75K on the clock.
The 5.0 are torque monsters, with much potential which I love, but the 4.6 is a high revving engine with lots of top end HP. Gears added you get the best of both worlds. I have 4.10's most people around here seem partial to the 4.10, 4.30', or even 4.56 but with an SC especially the 'twin screw' KB SC you'd be getting full boost at 2K RPM and leveling off at roughly 6K . You might consider leaving stock gearing or maybe a 3.73. I'm sure you know most of this. As it is I cant get my car to hook at the track with the 4.10's. A roots blower and gears you are looking at new tires quite often :burnout:

Lemme ask you a question; did you get to test Dive the Kenne Bell car??? I am looking at those very seriously, and would love to hear your opnion on this SC, a 12.2 is super quick!! What other mods have been done to the car?
Lemme end this by saying I am VERY new to the Modular 4.6 DOHC Cobra, so please do your research, if I have made any mistakes here, I'm sure I'll be corrected, this was just where my research led me in regards to my purchase. I am very happy with my car, and am happy with the chouisce I made. Good luck with yours and please let us know what you end up doing!!

Alex

Alex_96Cobra

Established Member
lemme correct myself. From what I hear (here as a matter of fact) lower gear is good with a Centrifugal (SP?) SC but a roots or screw type low gears MIGHT be overkill.

CobraSeekr

Established Member
Hey Alex,

I haven't test drove it yet. It is about 400 miles from where I live. I am having the car inspected by the local Ford Dealership for compression and a few of the basics. If it checks out then I will make the road trip this weekend for a test drive.

I agree the 12.2 sounds a little too good to be true:-?

--Jeremy

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Good luck. Some people just sell them because they can't afford them anymore too. That is something to keep in mind. You may be getting a steal! ;-) Good Luck

CobraSeekr

Established Member
I booked the flight :D I'm flyin down this Sat to pick it up. The dealer inspection came back with good compression and drivetrain checks out. A few minor glitches: coolant leak from bad thermostat gasket and a radiator leak. Needs rear brake job and left rotor. Nothing too bad for a 6 year old car.

Give ya'all my take on the Kenne Belle......

Alex_96Cobra

Established Member
Congratulations!! While your at it if you have fix the thermostat you may as well go with a 180 degree one, the 96's are known to run a little hot and if the radiator has not been swapped it'll help some till you can swap out the rad. There was a TSB about the radiators in the 96, also the rr sway bar should be checked. Where are you picking it up?

CobraSeekr

Established Member
Thanks for the tips! I'm a little worried someone else will try to buy before I can get there. It's about 400 miles from home, I guess I'll know if it is overheating.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra

Lemme end this by saying I am VERY new to the Modular 4.6 DOHC Cobra, so please do your research, if I have made any mistakes here, I'm sure I'll be corrected, this was just where my research led me in regards to my purchase.

Alex

No need to apologize, I thought you gave an excellent overview.

Good luck, CobraSeekr and congratulations, in advance :D

Black97Cobra

Established Member
I also am curious about the kenne bell. The times are probally about right, the demo car for kenne bell puts 400 hp to the wheels with bolt ons and it has 100,000 on the clock. I think they ran high 11s with it. How many miles are on the car, cause thats a steel if its alrealy got the blower on it. Good luck with it.

CobraSeekr

Established Member
It has 67,000 miles and a Borla exhaust. Anymore mods in addition to the S/C will be a bonus.

This is torture! The wait is killing me. Today is Wednesday.....tomorrow is Thursday....then Friday, come on already! The clock ain't movin. I'm in Cobra purgatory.

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraSeekr
It has 67,000 miles and a Borla exhaust. Anymore mods in addition to the S/C will be a bonus.

This is torture! The wait is killing me. Today is Wednesday.....tomorrow is Thursday....then Friday, come on already! The clock ain't movin. I'm in Cobra purgatory.

:lol: Sorry dude that one was just funny though. You'll get it. I know the feeling though. Makes you just want to call in sick and roll doesn't it? ;-)

CobraSeekr

Established Member
Call in sick :idea: Now that you mention it, I am starting to feel little bad. The Doctor said the only thing that will help is a 7 hour joy ride back up Hwy 101. He recommends fresh coastal air with a dose of racing gas and the smell of burnt rubber.

Today is Thursday.....

COBRASVT

Established Member
Congrats dude....I know the feeling.

My Cobra sat and sat on the lot while I put mine up for sale. Finally, a buyer.

He was coming down on a 5 hours hike and having the check mailed from out of state. This was the week of Christmas. He called the day before the trip and said the check still wasn't there. You know the nightmare with the USPS around Christmas.

Anyway, it came that day and he came down the next. Done deal and picked the car up that same day.

The worst part was worring that it would sell that week. I told the dealer I was getting it, but they wouldn't take a hold deposit. (bastards!)

I just knew something was gonna go wrong, but it didn't.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride! I know you will!

CobraSeekr

Established Member
Originally posted by COBRASVT
The worst part was worrying that it would sell that week. I told the dealer I was getting it, but they wouldn't take a hold deposit. (bastards!)

I just knew something was gonna go wrong, but it didn't.

You nailed it on the head!!! I just know somebody will get to the owner and offer him more money, or he will change his mind on selling, or he will wreck it, or a meteor will fall and mash it into the ground, etc. etc. etc.

Today is Friday......

Users who are viewing this thread