WTB: Cobra IRS Center Section/Third Member/Differntial Housing

90FoX

Established Member
Looking for a diff housing for a 99+ cobra irs. I would like to find one in good condition not broken/damaged.

I would prefer it to just be just the housing,cover and pinion flange. I don't need the carrier or gears.

LMK

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have a aluminum housing, cover, and a brand new in box pinion flange, if you are interested. The pinion flange is the smaller diameter like FOX Mustangs had, T-bird Supercoupes, etc. The only downside is that the pumpkin needs a pair of bearing caps, because the knucklehead I bought it from, tossed them out with the center carrier.:bash: My plan was to just buy a set of the heavy duty billet caps to replace them with, so that isn't really a huge deal. I will sell the whole package for $150 to your door. pm me if interested.

Brian

90FoX

Established Member
Hey,

I'm interested in your diff housing but I'm concerned with the missing bearing caps. If the IRS diff housing is anything like a SRA then the bearing caps are specific to each side. For example, when you put gears in they always tell you to mark which side the caps came from and which way they came off.

If this is the case, there might be an issue. I'll call some diff shops to see what they say.

How much are the new caps? Do you think caps from my stock SRA will work?

Thanks

Last edited:

02reaper

Established Member
I have a housing with the bearing caps, and a cover. Will sell for $150. Shipped. Pm me if your interested.

90FoX

Established Member
still looking for a diff housing. I found out it can be from a thunderbird or mark 8 also.

lmk thanks :beer:

90FoX

Established Member
M-4010-A88.jpg

black 10th vert

Established Member
Hey,

I'm interested in your diff housing but I'm concerned with the missing bearing caps. If the IRS diff housing is anything like a SRA then the bearing caps are specific to each side. For example, when you put gears in they always tell you to mark which side the caps came from and which way they came off.

If this is the case, there might be an issue. I'll call some diff shops to see what they say.

How much are the new caps? Do you think caps from my stock SRA will work?

Thanks

No, the caps from your straight axle will not work for 2 reasons...
1) they have a specific centerline bored at the factory to match the pumpkin they are on.
2) they are steel, so the expansion rate will be different than the aluminum housing, which could cause the bearings to spin in the bores, or otherwise shift during operation.

I will see if I can find the link to the aftermarket HD caps that I referred to. The replacement caps come machined off center, so that there is extra material to machine off the bottoms of the cap, so that your bore spacing will remain intact. This can be done by using a set of bearing races in the bores to measure the exact centerline, then doing math to figure out the amount of material to remove on the caps. This could be done by any competent machinist. The other way to do it with stock replacement caps, involves line boring, which can get more expensive do to the setup involved, and then you are still stuck with crappy stock, cast caps anyway. The other ones I mentioned are a stronger billet version, which is definitely the way to go if you are going to do machine work anyway. By the way, I am negotiable on the price, if you are still interested, because of the extra work needed. Just pm me if you have any more questions, in case I miss seeing this thread.

Brian

racebronco2

Established Member
I have a good housing 75.00, and rear cover 35.00 with the small flange 20.00or a new in box 03/04 cobra flange 30.00. 25.00 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread