WTB: 4V Cobra Heads

03AKsnake

Established Member
Hi everyone,
I’m new on here but hoping for some help locating some replacement heads for my 2003 cobra. I replaced them 5 years ago and was talked into letting the machine shop drill out/tap/ and sleeve the spark plug holes with steel sleeves. Well flash forward and 5 of 8 sleeves have come out, one on its own. The threads are damaged, one completely stripped and they are now too wide to repair with timesert. I’m told replacement is the only way to go. I’m hoping for something affordable...with the engine out and apart I would like to do some additional upgrades (cams, fuel, etc...) but that might just be a dream. If you have some heads available, or know anyone who does, please message me. Thanks.

gt347mustang

Established Member
Ive got a single db head available. I believe its the passanger side.

Posting this in case some body has a drivers side they'd sell you too.

RainyP71

Established Member
Ive got a single db head available. I believe its the passanger side.

Posting this in case some body has a drivers side they'd sell you too.
I'll be darned, I've got a driver's side DB. In the box, foamed, ready to go. Fully assembled from an aviator. Will need to be gone through, will let go cheap.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

gt347mustang

Established Member
I'll be darned, I've got a driver's side DB. In the box, foamed, ready to go. Fully assembled from an aviator. Will need to be gone through, will let go cheap.

Perfect! Lets get this guy what he needs.

03AKsnake

Established Member
Wow, that’s great news. Thanks guys.

So, probably a stupid question, but for the aviator head, would I need to change the cams? How much would you want for them?

You mentioned needing to be gone through, anything your aware of that’s wrong?

RainyP71

Established Member
Wow, that’s great news. Thanks guys.

So, probably a stupid question, but for the aviator head, would I need to change the cams? How much would you want for them?

You mentioned needing to be gone through, anything your aware of that’s wrong?
Yes, would need to swap. But your stock cams will fit in these heads. All 4v heads for the 4.6 you can swap.

I think it has a leaking exhaust valve seal or a worn out guide on one cylinder. The exhaust was very dark on that side like it was burning oil. BUT, if the engine had bad rings on that cylinder that would explain it. So best case scenario, the heads are fine it was just burning oil from an engine problem, not a head problem. Worst case it needs valve seals and or guides etc. . Thats why it's cheap, it's a good core I just haven't gone through it.

Oh btw I have a complete set of 2005 aviator heads, not had any work done to them. PRISTINE cam journals and can send pics! If interested let me know I might let them go for the right price.

Last edited:

03AKsnake

Established Member
Ok, good to know. My current heads have less than 5k on them, so it shouldn’t be a problem transferring everything over. I’ll have to see if there’s a good shop up here that can do the machine work.

This is the first time the car has needed work since I’ve been up here so I’ve never looked.

Im in Alaska, but have a freight forwarding company that can bring them up from Washington for super cheap.

RainyP71

Established Member
Ok, good to know. My current heads have less than 5k on them, so it shouldn’t be a problem transferring everything over. I’ll have to see if there’s a good shop up here that can do the machine work.

This is the first time the car has needed work since I’ve been up here so I’ve never looked.

Im in Alaska, but have a freight forwarding company that can bring them up from Washington for super cheap.
Good luck, I'm in the same situation in NC. Trying to find a good shop that won't wreck my parts.

Yeah let me know if you want to go with my driver's side head. Shipping from NC to WA is going to be steep I just wanna warn you.

03AKsnake

Established Member
Hey guys, really appreciate the help on this. Looks like there is nobody here in Alaska that can do a good job reworking cylinder heads. Im going to do some research about places down south to buy a set of cheap cores and send them in... Im sure Ill start a new posting in a different area asking opinions and advice. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread