Writing a check from a closed account?

Last

Established Member
Wow, a fellow pizzeria owner on SVTP! How long you been in the business? Anyway, I take checks and occasionally get "beat". Maybe twice a year. It stinks and costs me money, the sale plus the returned check bank fee. I just call the police & file a report but don't go much further than that. It's a part of business unfortunately and sometimes isnt worth the time/money to pursue. Glad you got him to come in and pay though. Bigger problem these days are the fraudulent cc charges I get once in awhile. Oh well.

I've been working in the business for 9 years, been an owner for about 3. We have a check collections company that we send the checks to, but I felt since this one was a closed account, I want to pursue it legally. I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Our check collections company gives us 80% of the check amount. CC chargebacks are the worst! I usually don't even get the notice from my accountant until it is past the response date! When I worked for my old franchisee they charged $1.25 additional for using a check, which he said covers the 5% bad check rate. You should look into a check collections company.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
I've been working in the business for 9 years, been an owner for about 3. We have a check collections company that we send the checks to, but I felt since this one was a closed account, I want to pursue it legally. I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Our check collections company gives us 80% of the check amount. CC chargebacks are the worst! I usually don't even get the notice from my accountant until it is past the response date! When I worked for my old franchisee they charged $1.25 additional for using a check, which he said covers the 5% bad check rate. You should look into a check collections company.

Yea, the CC chargeback system is very flawed. I get the notice and it says you have 90 days from the charge date to file the paperwork. Problem is that the notice usually comes in way past the 90 day window. :shrug: Thanks for the info on the collections thing. I've been doing this my whole life, family biz. How many stores do you have?

Last

Established Member
Yea, the CC chargeback system is very flawed. I get the notice and it says you have 90 days from the charge date to file the paperwork. Problem is that the notice usually comes in way past the 90 day window. :shrug: Thanks for the info on the collections thing. I've been doing this my whole life, family biz. How many stores do you have?

I have 4 right now, I hope to expand at least 2 more in the next 8 months! It's a family thing for me too, my dad owns 50!

Users who are viewing this thread