Wrecked my stang...thoughts?

Kevinslow6

Established Member
I don't post much on here but may as well start. Pretty much what happened was I switched lanes to get behind someone speeding about as much as I was to pass someone who was stopping for a left turn, when I switched lanes the ****er slammed on the brakes right infront me so I braked and tried to switch lanes to avoid a collision, bald tires+ blown struts weren't having any of that so the car lost traction instantly, did a long ass powderslide and a couple of full rotations down the road and ramped a median sideways, nailed a manhole entrance. Careless driving ticket, entertained 4 sheriffs and 2 FHP officers for a while, got some compliments on my car, then they towed it and let me go.

I'm really pissed off, because this happened Saturday night, I was going to buy my new tires on Sunday.

f4.jpg

f3.jpg

f6.jpg

Picked up the car from the impound today, looks like the floorplan/underbody needs to be fixed badly, door doesn't line up which is also a major problem. Other than that needs a new sideskirt and fender. Taking it to a body shop to see if it's even possible to fix the underbody/door without breaking the bank, if they can't, I'm taking off all of the mods, and calling insurance and seeing if they'll total it. Then I probably won't see myself in a stang for a good while because of insurance rates :|.

c4-2.jpg

c3-2.jpg

c1-4.jpg

c2-3.jpg

c6-2.jpg

c5-2.jpg

c7-2.jpg

Not looking good at all. Not sure what I'm going to do if it's totaled...and I'm pretty sure it is because of the frame damage. I'm 19 and make barely any money so it's going to be real hard to get into another Mustang, I was planning on buying a Mach 1 next year but that doesn't look like it's happening anymore.

Edit for the more opinionated members.

I appreciate your thoughts on how horrible of a person I am, but what I'm seeking is thoughts on the DAMAGE to the car and what I should do about it.

Last edited:

mooses

Established Member
Damn... even insurance in another v6 will be killer. I'd stick to a beater for a few years.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
ouch! -and right into that manhole cover cement thing of all places on the side of the road. good luck and that sucks about the insurance but i guess it just goes to say you need to be careful and maintain your car.

ModularFan

Established Member
I don't post much on here but may as well start. Pretty much what happened was I switched lanes to get behind someone speeding about as much as I was to pass someone who was stopping for a left turn, when I switched lanes the ****er slammed on the brakes right infront me so I braked and tried to switch lanes to avoid a collision, bald tires+ blown struts weren't having any of that so the car lost traction instantly, did a long ass powderslide and a couple of full rotations down the road and ramped a median sideways, nailed a manhole entrance. Careless driving ticket, entertained 4 sheriffs and 2 FHP officers for a while, got some compliments on my car, then they towed it and let me go.

I'm really pissed off, because this happened Saturday night, I was going to buy my new tires on Sunday.
I am sorry but you pretty much did everything wrong to avoid a collision. why would you speed up when someone is making a turn in front of you?:nonono:

Bald Tires Plus speed and inexperience driver don't mix.

Last edited:

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Big price to pay for not maintaining your safety equipment, e.g., tires. Good luck with the replacement.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I don't post much on here but may as well start. Pretty much what happened was I switched lanes to get behind someone speeding about as much as I was
Well this was probably not the best way to start. so you were speeding more than anyone in the area. You had to speed up in order to pass an already speeding car bad choice on your part.
to pass someone who was stopping for a left turn, when I switched lanes the ****er slammed on the brakes right infront me
so you screw up and HE is the ****er? just askin
so I braked and tried to switch lanes to avoid a collision, bald tires+ blown struts weren't having any of that so the car lost traction instantly, did a long ass powderslide and a couple of full rotations down the road and ramped a median sideways, nailed a manhole entrance.
From the looks of things you were doing a fair amount over the speed limit so just how fast were you going?
Careless driving ticket, entertained 4 sheriffs and 2 FHP officers for a while, got some compliments on my car, then they towed it and let me go.
Based on the photos and your description you are lucky this is all you got.
Let me guess you decided to party all night friday night and was hung over on saturday so you put off buying new tires? frankly from the looks of things and again based on your description new tires would not have helped you much
Picked up the car from the impound today, looks like the floorplan/underbody needs to be fixed badly, door doesn't line up which is also a major problem. Other than that needs a new sideskirt and fender. Taking it to a body shop to see if it's even possible to fix the underbody/door without breaking the bank, if they can't, I'm taking off all of the mods, and calling insurance and seeing if they'll total it.
so why are you taking off all the mods? afraid they will cancel you if they see that you had go fast stuff on it that they didn't know about? or that they will see you are a hot rod and jack your rates? either way your rates are going to go up.
Then I probably won't see myself in a stang for a good while because of insurance rates :|.
probably a good thing for both you and the other drivers on the road
Not looking good at all. Not sure what I'm going to do if it's totaled...and I'm pretty sure it is because of the frame damage. I'm 19 and make barely any money so it's going to be real hard to get into another Mustang, I was planning on buying a Mach 1 next year but that doesn't look like it's happening anymore.
I would suggest you get a beater for a few years, and spend the money you save in payment and insurance costs on taking a couple of driver schools that will teach you some defensive driving techniques. but keep in mind that even with those classes they will not help much if you continue to drive on bald tires and blown struts/shocks.

Kevinslow6

Established Member
Well this was probably not the best way to start. so you were speeding more than anyone in the area. You had to speed up in order to pass an already speeding car bad choice on your part.

From the looks of things you were doing a fair amount over the speed limit so just how fast were you going?

Let me guess you decided to party all night friday night and was hung over on saturday so you put off buying new tires? frankly from the looks of things and again based on your description new tires would not have helped you much

so why are you taking off all the mods? afraid they will cancel you if they see that you had go fast stuff on it that they didn't know about? or that they will see you are a hot rod and jack your rates? either way your rates are going to go up.

I would suggest you get a beater for a few years, and spend the money you save in payment and insurance costs on taking a couple of driver schools that will teach you some defensive driving techniques. but keep in mind that even with those classes they will not help much if you continue to drive on bald tires and blown struts/shocks.

Slow down chief. I did not speed up to pass someone, I switched lanes to get behind someone who was speeding, I was going probably 10 over the speed limit, so 55-60 tops. I was going 10 or 15 mph when I hit the median, the car was stopping...if there was no median it would have just stopped. Anyone who slams on the brakes right infront of someone is an asshole, yes, you heard me correctly. I don't party nor drink alcohol, I'm actually always the DD for my buddies. I was buying the tires Sunday because I had a detailing job sunday which would give me the $ I needed to afford them. Was driving on bald tires and blown struts a bad idea? Yes, but again, I don't have much income and $300 on tires and $600 on struts and shocks is not something I can pull out of my ass, I don't use credit cards. Other than that, I do maintain my car. 10 year old Mustang that was, up until Saturday night, in much better shape than cars not even a year old. I definitely took care of it...you can just look at the photos, even tough it's wrecked the paint is flawless. As for taking off the mods that's because if insurance totals it and takes posession of it, I don't want all of the stuff I spent my money on sitting on it, I'll put the OEM stuff back on instead. As for the go fast bits 'hot-rod' comment you made, it's a V6 Mustang with an intake and exhaust. But yeah, in my 4 years of driving and 30,000 miles I put on the car, I have 1 accident and now I'm an unsafe, inexperienced immature teenage driver that shouldn't be on the roads. Is that seriously your mentality? I'm sorry. You must be the perfect person who has never done a wrong, correct?

Last edited:

Mr SVT

^^ Needs boost
Established Member
LOL whats Ironic is that an AARP insurance advertisement is beside your post.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
So whats the speed limit on that road and how fast were you going?

Bald tires don't make you slide further on dry pavement, it will if it was damp or raining. Dry pavement bald tires are no different then shaved raced tires. Then your saying worn out struts would cause it even more. It just create more brake dive, unloading your rearend in a straight slide, but you stated you spun. Then lets take in the fact your car has anti-lock brakes so that eliminate more chance that the bald tires would create a skid.

I have a feeling you were going to fast, not paying attention, probably driving one handed and when said car braked in front of you that you were tailgating. Then he Braked checked you. You didn't brake you changed lanes abruptly under accelleration. Then the azz end swung out and came back whipping the car into a spin and your single hand couldn't control the steering wheel which at that time you jump on the brakes and slid into the curb.

Thats my professional opinion.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member

dam what crawled up your pie hole

Users who are viewing this thread