Wrecked my 2014 seeking opinions on buying it back.

DR~Z

Established Member
Well, the other day we had a snow storm in pa. Got stuck driving the car in it, I had michelin all season tires on it. Still didn't work out. Went to change lanes it fish tailed back and forth just couldn't save it. Went of the road into a used Rv. The rear spun around and hit a guard rail. Most likely its totaled. Car had 12,000 miles on it. Seeing what others opinions are, if it would be worth buying back from insurance company, and parting out the drive line and stuff. What would the motor (if it didn't get damaged) be worth. The trans. The rear. Any input is appreciated.

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
Make sure that it's totaled first. a 2014 has more value than a 2013 for insurance purposes because it is one year newer. If you still want the car, it is best to have the insurance cover it, obviously. If it is mostly body damage I wouldn't think that it would be totaled. Be patient and have the adjuster check it first.

Pete

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
^^^^^
This. Gotta see what the insurance says.
I'm in PA this week so I know what the roads were like on Wednesday. Good you didn't get hurt.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
There's a lot of value in the motor, drive train, seats if you had Recarros depending on how much they want to buy it back it could be worth it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
a GT500 in the snow :uh oh:

Something tells me your going to put the car away for the winter next time around. Getting "caught" in a storm in this car depending on the conditions and how far you need to travel is nothing more then a roll of the dice whether the car makes it back in 1 piece. If you could do it all over again putting the car on the back of a flatbed to get home now seems like a real good idea over wadding a $60K car. I'm sure your kicking yourself in the ass for taking the Shelby out of the garage that day and not taking the Subaru.

Hope the damage is not too bad.

How can someone post a "wreck thread" without pics? :shrug: ................. Hmmm, curious

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
a GT500 in the snow :uh oh:

Something tells me your going to put the car away for the winter next time around. Getting "caught" in a storm in this car depending on the conditions and how far you need to travel is nothing more then a roll of the dice whether the car makes it back in 1 piece. If you could do it all over again putting the car on the back of a flatbed to get home now seems like a real good idea over wadding a $60K car. I'm sure your kicking yourself in the ass for taking the Shelby out of the garage that day and not taking the Subaru.

Hope the damage is not too bad.

How can someone post a "wreck thread" without pics? :shrug: ................. Hmmm, curious

That was a mouthful....I'm sure it felt like salt in the wounds of the OP.

DR~Z

Established Member
Thanks 13cobra. The car never leaves the house if there is a chance of snow. Got stuck working really late Tues night. So I stayed at a hotel close to work. They only needed me for alittle bit the next morning, so was hoping to get home before it got bad. If I would have went home, I would have drove my other vehicle. As always hind sight is 20/20. If I can figure out how to post pics of my phone I will.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks 13cobra. The car never leaves the house if there is a chance of snow. Got stuck working really late Tues night. So I stayed at a hotel close to work. They only needed me for alittle bit the next morning, so was hoping to get home before it got bad. If I would have went home, I would have drove my other vehicle. As always hind sight is 20/20. If I can figure out how to post pics of my phone I will.

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. The only thing you can do is wait for the adjuster to go through everything and either total it or cut you a check. Like others have said, I'd wait to see the verdict then figure out what parts are still in working order and price them up to see if you can come out ahead.

DR~Z

Established Member
From what I explained about the damage to the person I filed the claim with they think it's totaled. The whole fronts smashed, the driver door got hit, the driver rear quarter is caved in where it hit the guard rail. The driver side air bag and seat air bag went off.

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
From what I explained about the damage to the person I filed the claim with they think it's totaled. The whole fronts smashed, the driver door got hit, the driver rear quarter is caved in where it hit the guard rail. The driver side air bag and seat air bag went off.

From this i would say its close. remember book value is in the range of $55-60k which means you need (depending on insurance company 40-50% or more of total value) so $25k of damage or more which it might be close unibody messed up?

photos would help too sorry for loss but cars can be replaced people cannot

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
We are all glad you are ok my friend, hope everything turns out well with the insurance.

Regards,

Manuel

carguy19

Established Member
From this i would say its close. remember book value is in the range of $55-60k which means you need (depending on insurance company 40-50% or more of total value) so $25k of damage or more which it might be close unibody messed up?

photos would help too sorry for loss but cars can be replaced people cannot

Insurance guideline on a car newer then 5 years old is that it has to exceed 70% of current retail value to be totaled.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Glad to hear you didn't get hurt, sorry about the car.
As far as buying it back from the insurance company, check the auction sites that sell wrecked vehicles for current pricing. You will be surprised at what a wrecked GT500 goes for.
Good luck with your insurance company.

DR~Z

Established Member
I would like to thank everyone one for the kind words. As stated it's just a car. But it still sucks. But in the end I was able to go home and give my 2 year old son a hug and kiss and it makes for a good day.

Users who are viewing this thread