Wow Long Story! Really Need SVTP Performances Insight

tohighpsi

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-hell-back-update-multiple-blown-engines.html

There is one of the original threads from the car with a lot of the back history. Long story short car blew a head gasket and then blew a motor. All less then a 1000 miles on the car.

The car is back together now and at the tuners. Performance evolution in middletown. Well I just get a call telling me that the fuel system in the car is basically junk and will not hold the power the car will make or was suppose to make when I bought the car. As of right now the duty cycle on the pumps is through the roof. So he thinks either a pump is bad or pprv delete valve is messed up. He hasnt dropped the tank yet. Thus causing the car to blow up.

As of right now the system looks like this. One FDPM upgraded wiring twin focus pumps and a boost a pump.

The tuner says that I need to switch to a fore hat run two gt pump so I can run two fdpms. He also says I need something so I can re flash the chip in the car. With labor tuning time I am looking at prob close to 3 grand for everything! WTF man I am already 6 grand in the hole with this car. I dont know what to do. I want the car right but damn. What do you guys think of the fuel system that is in the car now? Anybody know if the fore hat will accept focus pumps? Looking to save money anywhere I can now.

All this money and I haven't even gotten to have any fun with the car. What was I thinking trying to get back into cars again I have had nothing but bad luck.

KILRSVT

Established Member
Try doing the work on the fuel system yourself you ll save some money... Maybe someone selling a used fiore hat here on svtp... Good luck on your build

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if there was a problem with say, a pprv line came off wouldnt the fuel pressure be way low and itd be obvious by checking fuel pressure?

even if the pumps arent enough lethal is selling that returnstyle kit for 8 or 9 hundred arent they?

redo the fuel system yourself or with some buddies for the cost of beer/pizza and spend 1/3 of that

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Try doing the work on the fuel system yourself you ll save some money... Maybe someone selling a used fiore hat here on svtp... Good luck on your build

This is actually a very good idea but it assumes a certain level of mechanical competence and common sense.
If someone is not mechanically inclined or familiar with basic gas tank removal safety, this would be better left to the pro's.

However this is not an extremely difficult job, basic mechanical ability is needed but not much more than that.
Connections of evap, fuel and electrical will probably be the most confusing part.
Feeding the final unit back in without damaging the sender is also a bit tricky.

When dealing with fuel delivery always err on the side of safety and over capacity.

With all the many difficulties people have had with wrong choices of in tank fuel hose, fittings and kinks collapsing hoses, I think it would be wise to drop this tank and take a look, before a bunch of money gets spent.

What if a "y" fitting failed?
What if a hose collapsed?
What if a line came off?
What if only one pump is bad?

tohighpsi

Established Member
This is actually a very good idea but it assumes a certain level of mechanical competence and common sense.
If someone is not mechanically inclined or familiar with basic gas tank removal safety, this would be better left to the pro's.

However this is not an extremely difficult job, basic mechanical ability is needed but not much more than that.
Connections of evap, fuel and electrical will probably be the most confusing part.
Feeding the final unit back in without damaging the sender is also a bit tricky.

When dealing with fuel delivery always err on the side of safety and over capacity.

With all the many difficulties people have had with wrong choices of in tank fuel hose, fittings and kinks collapsing hoses, I think it would be wise to drop this tank and take a look, before a bunch of money gets spent.

What if a "y" fitting failed?
What if a hose collapsed?
What if a line came off?
What if only one pump is bad?

Even if it was the y fitting or a hose collapsed and it could be fixed the tuner is telling me my fuel system isn't good enough and I need to do the upgrading that I listed above. To be honest right now I am so sick of the car I cant see myself working on it. The labor that he is going to charge me seems pretty fair. The money is in all the parts and dyno time.

tohighpsi

Established Member
Its got a 2.6 longtubes and a mph inlet. I was told 670 on the race tune when I bought it. Which I dont think would be a problem at all

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Its got a 2.6 longtubes and a mph inlet. I was told 670 on the race tune when I bought it. Which I dont think would be a problem at all

670 on a single FPDM, focus pumps, and a bap??!!! wow. Youd need at least a modified FPDM, even then, it would be close to maxed out IF those pumps could flow that much.

tohighpsi

Established Member
670 on a single FPDM, focus pumps, and a bap??!!! wow. Youd need at least a modified FPDM, even then, it would be close to maxed out IF those pumps could flow that much.

Exactly what my tuner is telling me! It does have a modded fpdm but he still says thats not enough. He doesnt think the car ever made that power.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
the typical fuel system for that level of power is dual GT pumps, dual fpdm, and preferably a fore hat for ease of installation. The bap shouldnt be needed, but since you have it, its not gonna hurt to use it.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Exactly what my tuner is telling me! It does have a modded fpdm but he still says thats not enough. He doesnt think the car ever made that power.

what pulley combo is on it? youd need to see somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-22 psi to get 670, and a decent amount of timing, hence the race gas.

tohighpsi

Established Member
the typical fuel system for that level of power is dual GT pumps, dual fpdm, and preferably a fore hat for ease of installation. The bap shouldnt be needed, but since you have it, its not gonna hurt to use it.

Exactly the new set up I am going to run. Any Idea how to identify gt pumps? The previous owner thinks he has some but isn't sure how to identify them

what pulley combo is on it? youd need to see somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-22 psi to get 670, and a decent amount of timing, hence the race gas.

It will be at 24 pounds of boost

Silver03Termi

Established Member
I think the modified fpdm goes into thermal shut down at around 27 amps. the focus pumps would pull that much amperage without a doubt. A single fpdm is good for 20 amps I believe. Split the load of the pumps on the fpdm's and you'll be much better off. I doubt those focus pumps will flow that much anyways. For the added peace of mind, get the GT pumps. Your duty cycle should drop significantly.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
there should be a part number on the pump. I actually still have mine out of the car. I'll look at the part number for the GT pumps and post a pic later. Im sure they are physically different too. If you have the cash, and since you're already dropping the tank, look at running e85. All you'd be lacking is a -8 supply line and 80lb injectors. You can sell the 60's in the car now for 250-275. So for around 200$ more, you could run e85, which has a really high octane, and you wouldnt need race gas.

89slowgt331

Established Member
if you cant afford a new fuel system, just detune it, run a bigger blower pulley to 16-17 psi, make 580-610 and be happy, many people run factory cobra pumps and a boost a pump at this level.

tohighpsi

Established Member
there should be a part number on the pump. I actually still have mine out of the car. I'll look at the part number for the GT pumps and post a pic later. Im sure they are physically different too. If you have the cash, and since you're already dropping the tank, look at running e85. All you'd be lacking is a -8 supply line and 80lb injectors. You can sell the 60's in the car now for 250-275. So for around 200$ more, you could run e85, which has a really high octane, and you wouldnt need race gas.

I would love to run e85 but live out in hick ville and would have to drive 60 miles anytime I want to get it.

I would really appreciate a pic and part number. Thanks!

tohighpsi

Established Member
lol,

thats funny....Im in Middletown, Matt @ performance evolution is the man

Tuned my car :banana:

Good to hear. I have heard good things that is why the car is up there. Thats just a lot of money to put out. But from what I am reading hear he is on the money.

tohighpsi

Established Member
The previous owner thinks he has some gt pumps that he said he would send me. That would save me about $425 and be awesome. The tuner said something about me needing to buy a sct thing to re flash the computer. Can anybody shine some light on that. I wasnt under the impression that I would need one. The car has a flip chip and a sct maf i think

Silver03Termi

Established Member
4G7V-9350-CA or 4G7Z-9A407-CA
are the part numbers.
I dont think you need a flash, if you have a chip. I THINK, the tuner should be able to flash the chip. I dont reallyl know though for sure.

As far as pix, it looks like there are 2 pumps they call GT pumps, one comes from walbro. Those are the ones i have.

Users who are viewing this thread