Wow! Koni yellow rears only installed on GT

macbar13

Established Member
Wow, what a difference. I've had the koni yellow and steeda sport springs laying around but haven't had time to install them. Today, I figured I would just throw on the rear shocks and see how much of a difference they would make alone.

Well, I could tell a difference going down my driveway. Starting at full soft, I turned them a half turn. No more pogo'ing! SO much smoother. The whole car just feels more controlled. I really can't believe the difference! My wife can finally rest her head on the headrest without getting beat to death!

So if anybody out there wants to improve the ride of their brembo/track pack mustang, simply install rear koni yellows!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I think he installed the rears only because that's what he had time/means to do.

OP, how do you adjust the shocks? Turn the body or something else? I'm about to start buying some adjustable struts/shocks one by one. Lol

pohnjarker

Established Member
sounds like he didnt have time to do the fronts so just put on the rears for now and will do the fronts when he has more time.

this is exactly what i was hoping to hear, maybe i'll ask Santa(my wife) for some Koni yellows and springs for Christmas!!

macbar13

Established Member
sounds like he didnt have time to do the fronts so just put on the rears for now and will do the fronts when he has more time.

this is exactly what i was hoping to hear, maybe i'll ask Santa(my wife) for some Koni yellows and springs for Christmas!!

Yes. I only installed the koni rear shocks. Everything else is stock for now. When I have more time, I am going to install the steeda sport springs and front koni's.

It only took 1/2 hour to install the shocks. I just wanted to see how much of a difference they would make with the stock suspension before I do the rear springs and front springs/struts.

dirtyd88... to adjust them there is a tab on the top of the shock rod that sticks up through the trunk. A Koni knob comes with them that you set on top and turn. There is about two full turns of adjustability with no detents. I'll take some pictures when I get the chance.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Cool. I didn't know the top of the shock was accessible from inside the trunk. I'm used to my old truck suspension. Lol

Pics would be great. I just wish Koni Yellows were made in black. I don't want a yellow shock/strut under my car with my already red springs. Lol

pohnjarker

Established Member
Cool. I didn't know the top of the shock was accessible from inside the trunk. I'm used to my old truck suspension. Lol

Pics would be great. I just wish Koni Yellows were made in black. I don't want a yellow shock/strut under my car with my already red springs. Lol

how much can you see from the outside? i thought it was minimal...i never thought of that...lol

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Yes. I only installed the koni rear shocks. Everything else is stock for now. When I have more time, I am going to install the steeda sport springs and front koni's.

It only took 1/2 hour to install the shocks. I just wanted to see how much of a difference they would make with the stock suspension before I do the rear springs and front springs/struts.

dirtyd88... to adjust them there is a tab on the top of the shock rod that sticks up through the trunk. A Koni knob comes with them that you set on top and turn. There is about two full turns of adjustability with no detents. I'll take some pictures when I get the chance.

If you think it is WOW now, wait until you install the rest. I am talking Ferrari level handling.

macbar13

Established Member
Finally got around to installing the Steeda sport springs, Panhard bar and Koni Yellow's tonight. I have installed springs/shocks before on other cars and it took me about 5 hours total taking my time with air tools, etc.

It was a pretty easy install. One of the bearings came apart on me, but went back together easily. The slightest bit of sideways pressure on the bearing and it pops apart.

I adjusted the rear panhard bar after putting the rear suspension back together. I jacked the rear end up to approx. ride height, while I still had the car jacked up into the air, and then taped a string with a nut on the end to the fender and measured to the axle. I'll have to double check it tomorrow on the ground, but it looks like it came out ok.

Couple pics of the install. I'll take some better pictures later in the light. Only snapped one as I was walking away from the car.

Car rides similiar to stock but with better shock control. You can tell it's lowered as the up/down motions are a slightly quicker compared to stock I guess due to the shortened ride height.

koni0003.JPG

koni0004.JPG

koni0005.JPG

koni0006.JPG

koni0007.JPG

koni0008.JPG

koni0009.JPG

koni0010.JPG

koni0011.JPG

Last edited:

FastRedPonyCar