Would you send your motor to MMR?

Josh7178

Established Member
So I finally decided what direction I want to go with this build. I'm going to keep the car naturally aspirated. I am going to go ahead and do all forged bottom end. Head/intake work, cams, bigger oil pan, aluminum flywheel, etc...I have called and called around to local shops and I haven't found one that I like yet. Well I should say none really seem to want the business. 3 different shops have been getting a price quote for over a month now for me. I have called and talked to MMR out of California and they seem to be reasonably priced and from my research them seem to be reputable. Has anyone dealt with them? Good, bad, indifferent??? I'd be sending them the motor from Kentucky so I'd be out that expense as well. Any other good machine/engine shops out there?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Personally I would not, I have not dealt with them but being on several forums Ive seen enough problems that I would look elsewhere. The thought of having to yank a motor, send it back to be fixed then reinstall again just isnt a gamble I wanna take to save a few bucks.

Have you gotten prices from people like L&M?

Josh7178

Established Member
No I haven't. I will look into doing so though. Someone you know had the engine built by MMR and had to take it out n send it back? What was the reasoning? And did their 1 year warranty keep them from having to pay for the needed repairs?

Josh7178

Established Member
I didn't think AED was building engines any longer? I heard they sent everyone to livernois...I could be wrong though

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
AED doesn't build engines anymore.. Shaun has Livernois build them to his specs now. Maybe he'll chime in.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
L&M is very expensive. There are some reputeable shops in Cincinnati like Barker Machine, Paul's and Cincy Speed.

Stay local, or at least within driving distance as it makes it a lot easier if problems arise.

Last edited:

Porter68

Established Member
There is no way I would ever recommend MMR. I got screwed by them and will never go back. I had one piston in my engine that was .010 inch smaller than the rest and caused piston slap. Also had deep scratches on cylinder walls after 100 miles. That's right the engine only lasted 100 miles. They wouldn't work with me on the warranty and were going to make me pay to ship it back. Trust me don't do it. You can read about how cheap they are and they advertise like crazy but don't give into them. All I had was problems. You can find many other ppl that have had issues with them and they don't want to blame anything on themselves but say its your problem or something you did. Btw I'm front southern Indiana and shipping was 900 so there is another reason to keep it local Also you are smart for asking this question and I wish I would have asked around before I sent them my engine. Good luck with your build!

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I had good results with MMR in 2008, BUT people seem to be very upset with them over past 2.5 years.

The guy who built my engine does not work there anymore so I would likely not use them for anything now.

Not sure this helps you? I was relatively local to MMR at about 170 miles away..not too far in CA to drive

I think their parts are ok but the builds seem to have problems?

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
Im in the same boat as you, Im planning on rebuilding the 150K mile motor in my 99, similar rebuild, forged internals and cams etc. I live in washington state and shipping to MMR is 400 each way. Thing is I cant find any local shop that can assemble a mod motor. I to have heard bad things about MMR in the recent year which is why Im hesitant to send my motor there.

Looking forward to hearing more peoples opinion on MMR

01yellercobra

Established Member
No. I haven't personally had a motor built by them, but I've dealt with a few people that have. It's made me stay away from them.

4valved

Banned
I bought my internals from them for a good price, the customer service for me was great maybe buy the parts and then get a shop to put them in

CJK440

Established Member
I've bought a short block and stroker pistons from them. Both are good experiences.

One thing I learned in my life is complaints are voiced far louder than kudos and of those complaints you can only really expect that 50% were the suppliers fault. Lastly a big company with lots of sales is bound to have more bad press than a niche company with the same percentage of legit mistakes.

5 failures out of 100 builds is a better record than 1 failure in 10 builds.

Sent from my whiz bang pocket computer.

DHG4410

Established Member
Agreed no company have 100% customer satisfaction and those consumers who have had issues are posting. I am sure they all have a legitimate complaints but they are more likely to throw their two cents in and I am glad they do. We all like hearing both sides, the Pros/Cons.

trxcobra

Established Member
2 years ago, MMR built me a motor pretty similar to what you are looking to order. I did have to send it back due to a defective batch of COMP valve springs that I actually broke two of. So this was an issue with no relation to MMR's work, and they took the motor back and replaced all of the valve springs with a set of manley's and also removed the heads to check for valve and piston damage free of charge. I did have to pay to ship the motor to them, but they shipped it back for free. The motor now has about 13k on it and runs great

Users who are viewing this thread