Would you guys trade?

slow98cobra

Established Member
I know a guy that is putting an eaton on a marauder and he wants my stock one that has 32k on it. He says he would be willing to trade my stock eaton and plenum for his used bassani mid lengths off of his 03 Mach1.

Would you do it?

Also, these would fit on my slobra no problem, right?

lee4him

Established Member
First off, why do folks call these cars "slobras"? Don't get this at all, what am I missing? Anyway, my thoughts on the trade...if it's just a trade for the mid lengths then I'd pass. First off, Installing headers is a pain unless the motor is out of the car. Bottomline, bassani makes a good stuff (had their complete exhaust on my last 03) but I've always been warned to never buy used headers for the 4.6. I'm sure there are plenty who will tell you they bought used and had no issues but used will have a greater likelihood of having leaks. Again if it were me I'd pass on this trade.

slow98cobra

Established Member
Slobra was obviously a joke, but thanks for the input. I was kinda thinking the same thing as you but I didn't really know. I'm on the fence about the whole deal.

Anyone else that sees this, what would you do?

Last edited:

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I would sell the Eaton if you are wanting to get rid of it and buy a brand new set of headers of your choice. I am not a fan of the slip on collecter. If you want headers get yourself some one piece long tubes. I have a Bassani X pipe and cat back and as stated above they make some good stuff but I would not purchase there headers. If I ever decide to go long tubes it will be ARH. They are not cheap but I have read good reviews on them. If you are on a bugget Mac makes a good one piece long tube. This is just my opinion. I am sure there is alot of people out there with Bassani mids that love them and I am sure they will chime in. Hope this helps.

slow98cobra

Established Member
Your input does help. If it makes any difference I already have the bassani 5 piece x with cats and their catback.

Just got off the phone with the guy and misunderstood him. They are brand new mid lengths.

Does that change anyones opinion?

greengt88

Established Member
Screw headers. Not necessary on a street car. Not worth the PITA. Get a good twin screw. That's all u will need. take those cats out if it isn't loud enough. Just went through this whole production myself. I too would go with ARH if I was gonna use headers. Anything over 550+ rwhp is getting to be too muxch for a street car with a manual. That power level is easily achieved with a blower upgrade. Hell u can hit 650 no prob. Don't see the worth of headers. I'm aware they make like 50hp. And are louder but just not for me.

greengt88

Established Member
Headers are pretty much like cams....they sound good and make power. But aren't worth the price(of parts or install) unless u have money to burn. No other mods to do, or have a race car. Spend 600 on a nitrous kit. And I guarantee u will see more power than spending 4500 on headers and cams installed. I guess my point is. Power can be had cheaper and with less frustration. Exhaust leaks suck. Not that u'd have them but more than likely. What is ur power goal?

slow98cobra

Established Member
I have a steggy stage 4 ported blower 2.76/4# combo with spray on top of that so i was thinking maybe they would be somewhat beneficial to my combo. I'm getting my updated tune done tomorrow with the recent additions so we will see how that comes out. Basically this opportunity presented itself and I'm just looking for some opinions since I got a spare eaton laying around.

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Darryl Bassani himself put my mid-lengths on...if anything they look cool when I am under the car. I would absolutely never want to attempt to install a set on these cars though. Looks like a freakin' nightmare.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
If you have an aftermarket K-member the install seems to be cake.....they slide right in just like the stock manifolds. I lined mine up the other day to see if I needed to put them on with the engine out or if i could do it with the engine in the car. You just need to disconnect the steering shaft.

If you have another blower or plan on going TS I would make the trade new they are ~670$ used they are around ~400$ and you are not going to get 670$ for a used blower and plenum.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Your input does help. If it makes any difference I already have the bassani 5 piece x with cats and their catback.

Just got off the phone with the guy and misunderstood him. They are brand new mid lengths.

It doesn't change my opinion. I still am not a fan of slip on collecters. To many places that they could leak. I think if anyone has to have headers on these cars a one piece header would be the way to go. You only want to install these things once. If you have a K member I would say if you want them go for it. You have some room to get to the headers if you have a leak. If you don't have a K member you have to drop the K just to fix the leak. Also if you go through all the trouble of install you might as well go with a long tube unless your car is slammed to the ground and you need the mids for ground clearance. I would like to have headers but I do not want all the troubles coming from having to fix leaks. I know I am not going to get alot of power from them but I think if you have the headers ceramic coated you have the benifit of removing heat from the engine bay. That and the sound are the main reasons for headers on theses cars. If I do them it will be the last mod. What ever you decide good luck.:beer:

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
the labor alone would not be worth it. they are awesome don't get me wrong but if your only doing the header install its gonna either be a pain in the ass for you or expensive to have them installed. only reason i put longtubes on was when the motor was being replaced. other than that, i wouldnt have bothered.

i8urSS

Established Member
i say go for it. like stated above if nothing else they are worth more than your old eaton. so you might as well get them. they would also be easier to resell if you choose not to use them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

One plus is that the Bassani mid-length headers bolt right up to their X-pipe, so the installation isn't too bad. Not like long tubes. However, IMO if you're going to do headers, do long tubes to get the most out of them over the long run. I wouldn't, though, recommend the Bassani headers. Your call of course.

Users who are viewing this thread