Would you enlist? Why or why not?

E

2008 SVTP RPS Champ
Established Member
Marine for a lil over 5 years. I was a Guard Marine at 8th and I then worked at the White House for a year and then volunteered and extended to deploy to Iraq last year. Just got out a few months back. Best decision I ever made. It was time to move on and try something new with my life. GL in your decision!:beer:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I wouldn't at the moment, because I already serve the country in my own way taking spacial imagery for intelligence purposes. But if times got tough I would. I have a degree in Astro so I could join the AF and get a commission easier than most people.

cobra_matt

Established Member
I graduate next May with a bachelor's degree in engineering and have been thinking about it. I'm not sure what branch I would like to go in, but I want to do something technical/engineering related. I would also like to be a pilot.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
The way I see is like this:

I do not agree with this war we are involved in. I don't even know what we are still doing over there and I don't know what it will take to win this war. IMO, this is another Vietnam and you can argue that till you are blue in the face. All I do know is there is always going to be terrorism and extremists in this world because it is embedded in their upbringing (kind of like how people is the free world look at our rights/beliefs) and there is nothing anyone can do to change that except maybe exterminating an entire group of people (ie. genocide) much like what the nazis did (killing off any entire group of people because of their beliefs). We as a country complain about how awful our economy is, yet we have spent something like one trillion dollars in this war. We really need to stand back and reevaluate what is best for this country.... and not worry about what is happening 4000 miles away.

There, I am done.

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
I graduate next May with a bachelor's degree in engineering and have been thinking about it. I'm not sure what branch I would like to go in, but I want to do something technical/engineering related. I would also like to be a pilot.

to do something technical and engineering related you would have to enlist and stay enlisted or enlist and then put in a warrant packet. commissioning as a regular officer you will be doing more logistical/administrative/command type jobs not technical at all. to be a pilot, obviously commission.

LSUstang05

Established Member
I would enlist and I have actually thought about it recently. I'm relatively indecisive when it comes to career decisions and enlisting would give me an opportunity to choose something and be trained in it. I also don't have the best GPA in college so it wouldn't be a bad avenue for me to take. Honestly, I would probably only enlist for the minimum amount of time (4 years, IIRC).

MoToCoBrA

Established Member
He didn't get paid, GI Bill, medical and dental benefits, Active Duty Tuition Assistance, SGLI (life insurance) or anything. Wow, he shouldn't have joined the Chinese military. The US military is way better.

He didn't get medical. He tore his meniscus while in boot camp and told them several time's that he was unable to run and needed his knee checked. They would send him to med just to get some asprin and ice, then right back to running.

Ended up finding out that his meniscus was almost tore in half. I have tore mine before and i know how painful it is. I lost a lot of respect for his commanders for there actions on the subject. Thank god he was able to get out with a clean record.

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
He didn't get medical. He tore his meniscus while in boot camp and told them several time's that he was unable to run and needed his knee checked. They would send him to med just to get some asprin and ice, then right back to running.

Ended up finding out that his meniscus was almost tore in half. I have tore mine before and i know how painful it is. I lost a lot of respect for his commanders for there actions on the subject. Thank god he was able to get out with a clean record.

I dont really believe that story. I have been in for about 8 years and they hand profiles out like candy. For those of you that dont know, a profile is a paper from the clinic saying what you can and cant do physically because of the injury you have i.e. no upper body training, walk or run at own pace and distance, dont lift more than 20lbs...etc. It is way to easy to get a profile so I think there is more to the story.

MoToCoBrA

Established Member
I dont really believe that story. I have been in for about 8 years and they hand profiles out like candy. For those of you that dont know, a profile is a paper from the clinic saying what you can and cant do physically because of the injury you have i.e. no upper body training, walk or run at own pace and distance, dont lift more than 20lbs...etc. It is way to easy to get a profile so I think there is more to the story.

There is nothing more to the story. The army knew they screwed up because he got out without any consequence.

Haulin_05

Does that have a V8?
Established Member
its called a med board. it happens all the time. Lots of people get out during basic for injuries with no consequence

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I would if the Armed forces truley needed the body. Physically (back and knees) I don't think I'd be taken but I could be useful in other departments - ie. non combat engineer, if there is such a position.

Basically if called upon I would do whatever was asked.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'm waiting for my paperwork to go through as we speak, Air Force. The waiting sucks but my recruiter says it could take a while since I have to meet with the commander.

Be sure to let us know how the new AF BMT is, I believe 1Nov was the start date.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
98-06 US Army

going to finish my Masters and hopefully get Commissioned. If I do get commissioned I'll stay until I retire.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Don't believe everything you see in movies. Although they do have stop loss, it is for short periods of time usually a couple of months. 9 years is BS.

That's good to know. So, what is the max time that someone could be stop lossed for? I'm guessing a year

Users who are viewing this thread