Would you do this

01vert

Established Member
ABS controller has nothing to do with a performance ship, so in my mind you are already set up for failure. If you like your car, keep it. Or sell and use the cash to find a car you want.

ABS light alone without diagnostics woud make me steer clear.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
this is not even a question! do it! its a COBRA
well thats my $0.2

Are you being serious? Are you like 10? I mean I love Mustangs but :shrug:

I was going to do the same thing...... Sold my 94 GT vert to shop for a 99-2002 cobra. but 99 didnt have the sweade/leather seats so I crossed it out. Then, the 01-02 are real nice, but I wanted low milage, so I was looking at $16-$17 grand for a descent one...... which was a couple grand over my budget. But then, an 03 cobra was for sale at a dealership down the street, so I test drove it. THE BEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE!!!! I fell in love head over heals and started shopping for one. Ended up buying an 04 for $22K w/22K miles. Way over budget, ****ed in debt, and I couldn't be happier!!!!!! Honestly. FYI ....This is bad advice. but till this day I've never once regreted it.

btw there is no 2002 cobra

sure about that? http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/02/RobBlance.jpg

i wouldn't buy any car with that kind of mileage

+1 these cars have their own problems already 100k just adds more

ABS controller has nothing to do with a performance ship, so in my mind you are already set up for failure. If you like your car, keep it. Or sell and use the cash to find a car you want.

ABS light alone without diagnostics woud make me steer clear.

Finally somebody that has an idea of diagnostics. A chip/tune for PERFORMANCE ONLY will in NO WAY cause an ABS light

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Off topic here, but while getting a tune on mine, the ABS light was on. However it did go off right after I started driving it.

ABS Monitor was reset with the OBDII flash/upgrade. Either the ABS had a false or one time error, or the problem will return (may also be interminet)

I mean dont get me wrong It is possible... although VERY unlikely.

Last edited:

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
ABS Monitor was reset with the OBDII flash/upgrade. Either the ABS had a false or one time error, or the problem will return (may also be interminet)

I mean dont get me wrong It is possible... although VERY unlikely.

Haha, I know, I just thought it was weird, I have heard it is normal for it to do that for a short amount of time.

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I live in NC and bought my 01 cobra in Fort Myers Fla. I made him take it to a ford dealer of my choice for a complete inspection and it cost me $160. The deal was that if it passed I would pay that but if it didn't and there was anything seriously wrong and the owner would not fix it I did not give the dealership my credit card number and the owner was responsible for the charges. It turn out to be a good investment. Ask the service manager a the dealership to have someone who knows alot about cobras to do the inspection. GL

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
I live in NC and bought my 01 cobra in Fort Myers Fla. I made him take it to a ford dealer of my choice for a complete inspection and it cost me $160. The deal was that if it passed I would pay that but if it didn't and there was anything seriously wrong and the owner would not fix it I did not give the dealership my credit card number and the owner was responsible for the charges. It turn out to be a good investment. Ask the service manager a the dealership to have someone who knows alot about cobras to do the inspection. GL

Make sure the dealer was an SVT dealer with an SVT certified technician at the time SVT was around

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Alcantara is in fact, suede...

not exactly...alcantara is synthetic suede...big difference...

If they jacked up a traction control setting in the tune it can throw the ABS light...and the ABS light in and of itself does not mean the ABS module is bad...light can be tripped from different diameter tires front to back or side to side, bad ABS sensor, or several other things...i wouldn't say it's a reason not to get the car, but get it checked out before you purchase...and 100K is not much for these cars if they've been taken care of...my first 01 is still goiing strong with 110K+ on the engine, and 150K+ on the car...(original engine replaced by Ford under warranty)...

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
not exactly...alcantara is synthetic suede...big difference...

If they jacked up a traction control setting in the tune it can throw the ABS light...and the ABS light in and of itself does not mean the ABS module is bad...light can be tripped from different diameter tires front to back or side to side, bad ABS sensor, or several other things...i wouldn't say it's a reason not to get the car, but get it checked out before you purchase...and 100K is not much for these cars if they've been taken care of...my first 01 is still goiing strong with 110K+ on the engine, and 150K+ on the car...(original engine replaced by Ford under warranty)...

just so that were clear, I wasn't saying the module was the cause, only that the tune could have reset the module, erasing the diagnostic info therefore making it have to re diagnose itself

Users who are viewing this thread