Would you date someone with herpes?

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I met a really nice and very pretty Italian girl and have been on a few dates with her. We really hit it off, found out we have a lot in common interests, etc. I'm going to be 33 in a few months, she's 25 and has her shit together; teaches deaf kids, going for her Masters, does a lot for Wounded Warriors, Soldiers' Angels, donates her hair, etc.; like I said, a really nice girl.

After our first two dates I tried kissing her and was denied saying he doesn't kiss on the first date and takes things slow. I wasn't really phased by it as because it showed me she had values, and she still showed interest after both dates.

Come Friday night we go to a baseball game and had another great time together. I walk her to her car and give her a hug, and at this point I was thinking I'll let her kiss me. Then she starts telling me the reason she doesn't kiss is because she has herpes. My heart about sank and was completely in shock not knowing what to say because she doesn't look nor seem like someone who'd have it. After her talk she said I understand if you don't want to see me again, etc. We hugged again and she left.

We have talked since then on a regular basis, I have done a lot of reading about, it seems the social stigma is the worst part, and talked to her about how she got it. Apparently she got it 3 years ago after fooling around with a guy, no intercourse and she was a virgin at the time, and she didn't know he had it until after the fact when he said he was on medication to prevent outbreaks. Since then she's had sex with just (1) guy who was her boyfriend of 1.5 years. So she's not a slut.

I told her I'd like to go out again and continue to see where things go and take it from there. I've researched and the transmission rate while on antiviral medication is roughly 2%. I've read there are couples who've been together for many years and never transmit it even with unprotected sex. Yes, it's a yuge decision but if I can see a future with her, the juice may be worth the squeeze.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Has it worked out? Any serious advice?

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Don't read too deep it to the hype.....like you said it's false news and a huge propaganda about it in the public eye. If you weigh everything out and do really like this person and can see a future with her, don't let the opportunity pass by. We're only here once and don't get a do over. Besides theres different forms of it.....have you known anyone with cold sores...they have a form of it....people with hpv....people with genital warts both have a form of it.....lots more people out there than really let on about things. Also look at this....she was kind enough and thoughtful enough to guard you from it and to tell you about it. That alone speaks volumes about her character and who she is. Just be safe and mindful and see where things go. Ultimately we on here can give advice on both sides of the argument but the decision will be up to you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Blown 89

Established Member
There are a few kinds. If she has Type 1 then it's just oral and a MASSIVE percentage of the population has it. If you plan on dating someone that doesn't have it, good luck finding someone that doesn't. 70-80% of the population has it. The fact that she didn't want to kiss you tells me that's probably what she has but doesn't know enough about it.

Once you know what to look for you'll find that EVERYONE has it and you'll see it on actors and actresses on shows and moves all the time. It's very easy to avoid transmitting and receiving.

I've been with people with oral versions and avoided it, it's not a big deal. They'll feel a tickle on their lip and know it's coming and if they're not an asshole they'll tell you. No kissing, no sharing liquids/glasses/pillows, no sharing food, especially no oral and a week later it's gone and they're not transmittable. Most people rarely break out. My line of work requires me to be tested throughout the year and HSV-1 is one of the required tests. Most STD tests don't even test for it because it's so common.

Type 2 is genital, mostly, and no I probably wouldn't date someone with it.

Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Beil, Rihanna, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and a ton of others you probably drool over. When I did retouching (Photoshop) for a living pretty it was pretty common to have to remove herpes blisters on models and actors/actresses. We saw it a lot there because a) a lot of photographers prefer light makeup and to add heavier makeup in post and b) the images are super high resolution. It's impossible to miss blemishes at those sizes.

TLDR; If it's HSV-1 don't sweat it. Have a doctor educate you both on it and how to avoid it then have fun.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I'd be terrified, but i'm your typical uneducated public when it comes to disease. Its not something major I would immediately dismiss her for though if the connection was strong. I'd have to do research on it and take it slow.

verbal

Established Member
She seems misinformed about what oral herpes is. As mentioned, a huge percentage of the population has it and it is really no big deal.

Now genital herpes would freak me out.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
To clarify, her blood work shows she tests positive for HSV 1 and 2 but only gets symptoms of 2. She gets an outbreak 1 or 2 times a year while taking antivirals on a daily basis.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
NVM further research is needed on my part

There are a few kinds. If she has Type 1 then it's just oral and a MASSIVE percentage of the population has it. If you plan on dating someone that doesn't have it, good luck finding someone that doesn't. 70-80% of the population has it. The fact that she didn't want to kiss you tells me that's probably what she has but doesn't know enough about it.

Once you know what to look for you'll find that EVERYONE has it and you'll see it on actors and actresses on shows and moves all the time. It's very easy to avoid transmitting and receiving.

I've been with people with oral versions and avoided it, it's not a big deal. They'll feel a tickle on their lip and know it's coming and if they're not an asshole they'll tell you. No kissing, no sharing liquids/glasses/pillows, no sharing food, especially no oral and a week later it's gone and they're not transmittable. Most people rarely break out. My line of work requires me to be tested throughout the year and HSV-1 is one of the required tests. Most STD tests don't even test for it because it's so common.

Type 2 is genital, mostly, and no I probably wouldn't date someone with it.

Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Beil, Rihanna, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and a ton of others you probably drool over. When I did retouching (Photoshop) for a living pretty it was pretty common to have to remove herpes blisters on models and actors/actresses. We saw it a lot there because a) a lot of photographers prefer light makeup and to add heavier makeup in post and b) the images are super high resolution. It's impossible to miss blemishes at those sizes.

TLDR; If it's HSV-1 don't sweat it. Have a doctor educate you both on it and how to avoid it then have fun.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
WebMD days type 2 is only transmitted by vaginal or anal intercourse.

Open painful sores on your friend down there...hell to the no.

And I don't buy 99 percent of the std infection rates listed for the US. I remember a statistic of like 1 in 5 having hep or some shit. Turned out it was one in five tested....well duh. Most people being tested are pretty sure they have it....

I could be way off here but Google says like 1 in 4 women have genital type 2. Sounds pretty dammed high to me.

earl lee

Established Member
How would she have contracted 2 without having sex with the person that had it? You're not being told the entire story. And always consult SVTP for dating or marital advice.

It has more to do with the location that determines if its 1 or 2. A person can have 1, give you oral and you end up with 2 since its on your knob.

As somebody else mention, it is actually more common then people realize it and alot of people that have it dont even know they have it because they are symptom-less.

OP you should think hard and long about it, this woman told you she had knowing the shame and stigma that comes along with it. Is this something you can overcome and is she a person you could truly see yourself with or you just wanted a quick hit and dash?

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
and contracted herpes on a fling, but didn't have intercourse. I'd run....

And then he believes she has only had sex with one guy in 3 years since.

So this 25 year old girl... who is very attractive and has her shit together has had sex with ONE dude in 25 years?

.. I see

Users who are viewing this thread