Would like your input on a setup

tarheeltrooper

900 H.P. Club
Established Member
Alright, as of right now I have 2.93 upper, CAI, MAC o/r h pipe, MAC 2.5 catback and SCT programmer which dyno tuned at 461 @ fastlanes in Benson N.C.. I want to get as much as I can without take the Eaton off and porting it. So my question is adding a 4lb or 6 lb lower pulley (and alternator pulley), Mafia for the a/f, big oval style throttle body and some longtubes do you think it could get me at 500? Thanks for helping.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
not sure if you would want to run that much boost on an un-ported eaton, or not?

i could be wrong, but i was thinking for some reason, that you might run into some heat/heatsoak issues spinning the eaton that fast, without a port?

im sure someone with a bit more knowledge on this subject will chime in soon, with their input.

RussZTT

Established Member
Thats alot of heat you would be putting through the Eaton. Personally I wouldn't be spinning it with a lower unported. If you want more power, just go with a 100 shot. :shrug:

sc98cbra

Established Member
As peviously stated, I wouldn't run much boost on an un ported eaton for long. But, I've ran 17-18 lbs of boost on an unported eaton for about a month. Generally.. I would stay out of boost on hot days and wouldn't hot lap my car, in order to avoid tons heat soak.

Try using a 2.76/ 2.8 blower pulley with an 8lb lower. That may help you reach your goal. Oh yeah, alternator pulley has nothing to do with boost, it just saves your alternator from breaking so easy.

Bigger injectors and a KB BAP will be adequate enough for fuel.

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Maybe a dual heat exchanger would help?

Not much if at all, an aftermarket H/E is really just an appearance mod. The stock piece actually works well. It's gonna be tough to get 500 rwhp without a port. Besides a ported blower is an easier install when compared to longtubes.

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
It can be done not porting it but I wouldnt suggest it too much heat. Another thing to think about also is fuel mods some people need injectors and a BAP. I know I did.

RussZTT

Established Member
Oh just to add, I melted a piston doing 5-6th gear pulls one night with a 2.76 unported. :bash:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
As peviously stated, I wouldn't run much boost on an un ported eaton for long. But, I've ran 17-18 lbs of boost on an unported eaton for about a month. Generally.. I would stay out of boost on hot days and wouldn't hot lap my car, in order to avoid tons heat soak.

Try using a 2.76/ 2.8 blower pulley with an 8lb lower. That may help you reach your goal. Oh yeah, alternator pulley has nothing to do with boost, it just saves your alternator from breaking so easy.

Bigger injectors and a KB BAP will be adequate enough for fuel.

So you say don't run high boost yet you reccomend a 2.8/8lb combo? You'll be running a crap ton of boost at that combo especially its alot for unported eaton.

Personally, I would go with a 2.93/4lb combo, or just 2.76 upper alone. (thats what I had on my previous cobra I made alittle over 500rwhp but I had longtubes, so assuming you'd still be close to 500hp range)

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Leave it alone!! You are making great power with a 2.93 without over-spinning your blower. You could go to a 2.8 or 2.76, but then you'd have to get a new tune...for a few HP, doesn't make sense...
Next up for you is either a Port or Twin-screw, with all of the additional mods necessary, and a new Tune...

RussZTT

Established Member
That has no relevence to whether a ported blower or unported blower is safe... You should never go into boost in 5th or 6th gear.
I would do a 5th gear pull on a ported blower WAY before I would an unported on. You tell me which causes more heat....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have to agree with Ray. I loved my 2.90 upper setup (prior to porting the blower). I made 457rwhp and 480rwtq and it was plenty beastly. If you just have to have more I would go with the long tubes (if not for the sound alone). A different TB isn't going to net you much power. The biggest gain, other than nitrous, would be from porting your blower. I do highly recommend that, even though you don't want to remove the blower. Removing it is not a big deal, though, trust me. Port the blower and then go with a 2.76 upper with a 4 lb. lower and you'll jump right over 500rwhp. JMO.

P.S. - It is true that high boost isn't recommended with an unported Eaton. You can do it, but the blower isn't efficient enough to handle it. Porting makes for a more efficient blower which is better able to handle the higher boost levels (ie. 16-17 lbs.).

BBCOBRA

Established Member
you could run a 4lb lower. It will heat soak some but not bad. I've dyno'd mine with the 2.76 / 2lb. lower (same as 2.93 / 4lb.) and the third pull lost may be 3-5 hp from the initial pull. this did not drop off as much with the 2.76 only. The gains you get may not be enough to justify the price for the lower kit. You'll have to decide for your self on that. I wouldn't go with a 6lb. lower till after you port it.

you could try porting your self. I plan to do mine this winter following instructions from Posi. He has great instructions and all the pics you need to do it your self if you have the time to do it.

Last edited:

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Leave it alone!! You are making great power with a 2.93 without over-spinning your blower. You could go to a 2.8 or 2.76, but then you'd have to get a new tune...for a few HP, doesn't make sense...
Next up for you is either a Port or Twin-screw, with all of the additional mods necessary, and a new Tune...

Well said.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
just pull that beast off all the mods you are planning will cost more than a port...really pretty simple mod with alot of DIY write ups all you will need is a tune and it will be way more of a beast

tarheeltrooper

900 H.P. Club
Established Member
Wow, thanks guys for all of the advice I really apprieciate it. I suppose I will not mess with the lower until I send it off for a port. But I may change top to a 2.76 when I get the longtubes installed and throw the throttle body with plentum on. I do not mind getting it re-tuned, I will enjoy it actually. Thanks for the help again!

Users who are viewing this thread