Would I benefit from a CAI or should I save my money?

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Hey all. Just curious as to if I would see any gains from adding a true CAI/RAI kit over what I have now. Currently, I'm running a drop in K&N filter with heat shield. Still running the stock elbow that goes to the TB. I'm running a Accufab single blade TB BTW.

Car will have the following mods after the engine is back together:

MAC LT's
BBK O/R H pipe
3" Mac CB
Comp 106100 cams
Whipple 2.3 w/ 3.0" upper and stock lower pulley
9.2:1 compression compliments of some DSS -12cc pistons
Bunch of other crap that doesnt pertain to the intake

So, should I upgrade, or will my current set up do the trick?

Thanks, guys.

SVTDice

Established Member
Go with the JLT CAI. Not the HB. You don't need to use a SCT maf. Yes you will benefit, intaking hot engine bay air is not a benefit.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
So I should go with a fenderwell CAI, and not an underhood RAI? The car will never see incliment weather, so sucking in rain is not an issue. I will more then likely need a MAF wire extension tho, no?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
So I should go with a fenderwell CAI, and not an underhood RAI? The car will never see incliment weather, so sucking in rain is not an issue. I will more then likely need a MAF wire extension tho, no?

You do not need a MAF wire extension, the factory one will reach. For a street car I would lean towards a CAI system, if you plan on racing the car I think the RAI with the headlight pulled would perform better.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
I would do the HB, but don't feel like having to swap MAF's from my 2400 to a 2600/3000. I think I'm just going to go with a JLT CAI so the filter is outside of the hot engine bay. I dont think that an RAI would really do much versus my current stock tube with K&N filter and heat shield.

Mystic03

Established Member
the 1st gen HB are great never had a problem with my kb2.2 supported over 650rwhp..get yourself a mafia that will work just fine

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Picked up a JLT CAI off a memeber on here. Thanks for the input gents. Can't wait to have my car back together and see what kind of numbers she puts down!

Users who are viewing this thread