Would Amsoil 0W20 be a good substitute for a Modular calling for 5W20

Jroc

Established Member
Just like the title says.

From my understanding Ford used 5W20 for a few years for more than just to meeting CAFE MPG's, and that those motors where built with tolerances better suited for a 20 wt oil and because of this some say it's better for our motors calling for 5W20 than a thicker oil. I'll be honest I've been happy for years with my 0W30 GC,(Castrols European formula sold in N/A) but apparently a 20 wt oil will give you slightly better MPG's and HP.

Wouldn't the 0W rating give better cold start up protection than a 5W rating?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just like the title says.

From my understanding Ford used 5W20 for a few years for more than just to meeting CAFE MPG's, and that those motors where built with tolerances better suited for a 20 wt oil and because of this some say it's better for our motors calling for 5W20 than a thicker oil. I'll be honest I've been happy for years with my 0W30 GC,(Castrols European formula sold in N/A) but apparently a 20 wt oil will give you slightly better MPG's and HP.

Wouldn't the 0W rating give better cold start up protection than a 5W rating?

If the weather is well below zero F. Otherwise there is just not going to be all that much cold flow difference at warmer temps.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I agree with Jimmy. Unless you are starting your car/truck multiple times a day in sub zero degree weather, your engine won't notice the difference.

I prefer 5W-20 for a lower NOACK Volatility.

Users who are viewing this thread