WOT battery voltage

jblood37

Established Member
What voltage are you guys seeing at WOT? During pulls I was seeing mine dip down to ~12.1 V. As soon as I finished pull they would go back to ~13.0 - 13.5V. FYI, I'm using an X3 and Live Link for datalogging. Thanks

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
im trying to remember now but I believe for whatever reason anything plugged into the OBD2 port reads about a half a volt lower than actual (verified by putting a volt meter on the battery). That being said Ive been told by my tuner and others that you really need to stay at 13 volts or more @ WOT with these aftermarket pumps, apparently flow starts to drop off pretty quickly when voltage drops

jblood37

Established Member
I've seen what you are talking about while I've been researching. Most say you lose .5 V from battery to port. My tuner pointed out the voltage at WOT as well. He said that might be a little low. Mods are in sig, but I have the 465s in my return system. Could it be possible that it's just pulling that much voltage at WOT or should I start down the shitty alternator path?

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
I was seeing volts like that when I was running an alternator from ebay. I swapped it out for a Mechman and now see ~13.8 volts at WOT. I'm almost done installing my return system with twin 465's so we'll see if that affects it at all.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Anything below 12.5 is not safe IMO. My radar detector is capable of monitoring battery voltage. The alt stays around
13.0~13.5 unless it starts gettin tired. Then it's time for a free swap.

TRBO VNM

at 12.1 I would not be doing any WOT pulls at all until that is fixed. That is way low and you risk damage. Even with the .5v difference mentioned you are too low. I like seeing 13.0 at the lowest. Depending on the setup 12.8 may be ok, but I really don't like seeing anything under 13v. It sucks that this is such an issue with these cars.

TXEnginerd

Established Member
I bit the bullet and got a mechman when my voltage dipped into the 11s at WOT. My AFR was definitely lean because of it. With the mechman I see ~14.2 at idle and ~13.8 at WOT. I also keep my battery on a tender at all time when my car is in the garage. It was definitely worth the peace of mind to have a well-built unit that will last.

Users who are viewing this thread