Worth the cost to swap to 2.9 or 3.4 crusher over my KB 2.6h?

Rambro

Established Member
To be honest I don't think a 2.9 or 3.4 can run any hotter then my KB 2.6h..it's on 24psi with a 3.0 upper and 2lbs lower. He'll maybe I'll just spray that bitch and say screw a new blower.

This is what I would like to do eventually. I already have a nice kit on my car but I've never used it. I was thinking a 35~50 shot on top of the 2.3 but I don't know if my promotion clutch will like it for very long.. And it seems to me as well that turbo setups require more attention than a PD setup on these cars. This car is soo nice on the street I don't want to get too race car with it.

65fastback289

Established Member
a 2.9 crusher would be ideal imo. the 2.9 crusher has been proven to make insane power with built motors (ported heads, cams, etc, etc) - in the range of 900-1k hp.

at the same boost you will easily make more than the kb 2.6 and then you still have the option of increasing the boost for more power.

if you do decide to go to bigger blower, i highly recommend revamping your cooling system. the cobraengineering intercooler mod makes a big difference in flow and i think a gentelman by the name of justin wheeler is making his own intercooler mod which is similar. both increase the inlet and outlet to 1''.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
He said he wanted 850-900rwhp.. that is more than doable with the 2.9L crusher and his current engine setup. Also I know of MANY MANY 2.9 crushers running a 2.75" upper and stock lower, that's about the same RPM as a 3.0 and a 2lb lower. I've yet to hear of any bearing failures in the 2.9s.. Also I know of many 2.9's running 26+psi with no issues.. Although the 1000rwhp car that I know of wasn't near that high. It's a 10.1 stroker, ported heads and cams.. 2.9 crusher with a 3" upper only. Not really a crazy setup. Hell my buddies aluminator 2.9 non crusher car makes 830rwhp on a 3" upper only, stock heads and cams. Again they are probably the best blower for a higher compression engine.

Godstang- I don't think you've ever ran a whipple, just a KB.. I have heard of bearing failures in the KB.. So maybe that's what you're trying to attest to.

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
whipple told me I was over spinning my 2.9 at 25lbs. I told him my tq curve went totally flat and made no more power. I went from 22 to 25 and picked up zero hp and I got a shitty looking tq curve. They told me I am spinning the blower beyond its rpms. all cobra guys do it. we did it with the eaton. Im curious to see charts of your friends cobras running more than 26lbs

stangfreak

Established Member
I would like to see before and after with a stock motor cobra, 2.9 non crusher then with the crusher on a 2.9.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Stangfreak: There is one car AED did that went from 3" upper non crusher intake, to 3" upper crusher intake. Went from 770sae to 820sae iirc. Stock engine only head studs.. He's a close friend of mine.

What was your pulley combo for 25psi? psi is just backpressure.. if you're making 25psi on a 3" pulley you're not overspinning it.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
people need to stop thinking about power equals how much boost. Every built engine is different. PSI doesn't equal power. My other buddies aluminator non crusher 2.9 made 830 or something with only 19psi with a 3" pulley. The Engine is super efficient.

You don't necessarily need to spin 26psi unless you just like looking at that much psi on a boost gauge lol. The OP's current engine setup (if it's the same from when it was built) is a high compression engine. a 2.9L crusher on a 3" pulley won't be overspun and he'll making anywhere from 875-950 give or take depending on supporting mods.. Screw the PSI level that is irrelevant.

stangfreak

Established Member
I have a 3.25 upper 4 lb lower. It reads 25lbs. That pulley combo according to whipple is over spinning.

I'm sure that car made 820 but I don't believe it. I'm not trying to be an ass but I just can't buy it

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member
I have a bone stock motor. Iv seen so many of these cars on the Dyno and from other shops. Iv seen cobras and Shelby's tht make 1000 or 900, then dynoed at mustang magic and never came close to those numbers. At the track rentals even with a slammin driver driver and some had autos never ran what they should have. And these cars were tuned by the internets best top tuners. I won't mention there names. So I'm always skeptical when people throw out huge Dyno numbers on low boost or a simple setup.

Not saying mustang magics Dyno is the end all be all but it doesn't read high and the cars run on par with the numbers it reads.

stangfreak

Established Member
people need to stop thinking about power equals how much boost. Every built engine is different. PSI doesn't equal power. My other buddies aluminator non crusher 2.9 made 830 or something with only 19psi with a 3" pulley. The Engine is super efficient.

You don't necessarily need to spin 26psi unless you just like looking at that much psi on a boost gauge lol. The OP's current engine setup (if it's the same from when it was built) is a high compression engine. a 2.9L crusher on a 3" pulley won't be overspun and he'll making anywhere from 875-950 give or take depending on supporting mods.. Screw the PSI level that is irrelevant.

I understand psi is irrelevant. I just didn't make myself clear. Next time I'll say pulley sizes.

alaskablkmach

Established Member
Yeah it's still the same motor and I just said 28psi cause I figured it would take that much but I guess not on a 2.9 crusher. I just wanna make atleast mid to high 800's....I thank that is doable with a 2.9 or 3.4

alaskablkmach

Established Member
To be honest I only see a few hundred dollars in price difference between the two so I'll probably run a 3.4 crusher....would love a big Kenne bell.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Don't need you to believe it stang freak. The mph at the track proves the power the combos I've listed make. Sounds like your car hasn't performed the way it should. Could be a number of things. My car has made the same number on multiple dyno's. So it's not the dyno. Maybe mustang magic dyno is stingy who knows. But every car I've listed has back the power with track times

Users who are viewing this thread