Worth the cost to swap to 2.9 or 3.4 crusher over my KB 2.6h?

alaskablkmach

Established Member
Ok this might sound stupid to some but would it be worth the cost to swap to a crusher 2.9 or 3.4. I'm really looking at the 3.4 but weighting the cost vs performance gain here. I made 759/692 on my 2.6h @24psi. How much power do you think I would gain on a 3.4crusher at say 28psi? I know the blower would be way more efficient but even if I sold my setup and got a used 3.4 after new injectors I'm still looking at $2k more then what I could sale the 2.6h for. Any thoughts?

GodStang

Established Member
Worth it would be up to you. I think if you went good fuel and that much boost you would break 800rwhp. $2000-$3000 out of pocket easily. Depends on your goals if that is worth it.

alaskablkmach

Established Member
No its in a 97 cobra...solid axle car. I got the fuel setup now running a return system with magnafuel pro750 just need bigger injectors my 80'son are maxed and on a 56psi base pressure.

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Don't do it - at least not yet. You just got it running good and I'm sure it's a beast the way it is. Enjoy it for now. 3.4 could equal crank problems and I don't think a 2.9 crusher would equal that much more power. If you have to go bigger, go turbo + auto down the road. Just me 2 cent...

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I wouldn't waste the money on a 3.4.. With your current engine setup, I would buy a 2.9L Crusher.. On a 3" pulley you'll be pushing close to 1000rwhp.. Or damn near close to it. The 3.4 IMO will break to many crank snouts and you'll have issues. That's my .02..

Next option but more expensive is a 76mm turbo.

IIRC the current engine in that car has flattop pistons and 10:1 compression

whipplecrusher

Established Member
Have a like new 3.4l whipple crusher everything goes with it on me selling it for a good price my car made big power

stangfreak

Established Member
This is what my tuner told me. over all picture. But he is a turbo guy so. First he said, the biggest he would go is a 2.9 whipple. If you have e85, then do a 3.4. Big blowers make a lot of heat.

Now for people that arent happy and want more, going from one big blower to another is a vicious cycle. we start off with a 2.2, then go to a 2.4, then a 2.9, then a tvs bc its the next best thing since sliced bread, then its too small, now we go back to a 3.4. Most of us cobra guys are guilty of that. sell, buy, sell, buy. Now think about how much hp we are really gaining for the amount of money and work we are doing swapping blowers. Its nothing really wild. Its marginal. when my tuner said that, he made sense.

I dont have money to go turbo. Most of us dont or want to keep the car with a blower. if you want big power, just go turbo and save yourself all the swaps. Because we will still want more. If your content with 800rwhp Id get a 3.4 or a 2.9 crusher. call it a day. People making 1000rwhp with a 2.9, I dont know. Id like to see those cars dyno at mustang magic here in new york.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
From what I understand the 3.4 is about the most efficient blower and I don't see it putting anymore pressure on the crank than a 2.9. The 3.4 wouldn't add anymore heat it would probably run cooler to be honest. I have a 3.4 on a stock longblock with exhaust and it makes 720 on a 3.25 pulley. You'd make well into the 1k with a 3.4 or you could leave the boost the same and still pick up HP.

stangfreak

Established Member
Then why are the 3.4 snapping cranks? My buddy broke two of them with the 3.4. If you run the big blowers at the proper boost level where they are meant to be at, there not going to run cooler. Look at the 4.0 whipple. Its a huge blower, even more efficient and people had to remove them bc they were having crazy heat issues. with e85, I can see it working. race gas? There heat makers man. I think 03steve's buddy had a 4.0 and took it off bc of the heat. I remember when the 2.2 came out. There selling point was lower temps. That blower made more heat than the eaton. lol

GodStang

Established Member
This is what my tuner told me. over all picture. But he is a turbo guy so. First he said, the biggest he would go is a 2.9 whipple. If you have e85, then do a 3.4. Big blowers make a lot of heat.

Now for people that arent happy and want more, going from one big blower to another is a vicious cycle. we start off with a 2.2, then go to a 2.4, then a 2.9, then a tvs bc its the next best thing since sliced bread, then its too small, now we go back to a 3.4. Most of us cobra guys are guilty of that. sell, buy, sell, buy. Now think about how much hp we are really gaining for the amount of money and work we are doing swapping blowers. Its nothing really wild. Its marginal. when my tuner said that, he made sense.

I dont have money to go turbo. Most of us dont or want to keep the car with a blower. if you want big power, just go turbo and save yourself all the swaps. Because we will still want more. If your content with 800rwhp Id get a 3.4 or a 2.9 crusher. call it a day. People making 1000rwhp with a 2.9, I dont know. Id like to see those cars dyno at mustang magic here in new york.

This is the most sense posted on this site in the past 10 years! Thanks for this. I have personally been there. 2.2L, 2.8L, 2.8LC, 2.8LC Behemoth, and now 3.6LC.

OP what fuel are you running? Watch out for over boosting the 2.9L. You will create too much heat pull timing and drop in power. 1000rwhp on a 2.9 would be super difficult not saying it is impossible. watch pulley combo because that will dictate heat not boost level.

alaskablkmach

Established Member
It's on e85 and I'm just looking for mid to high 800's...no desire to do turbo honestly I love pd blowers. Every mother ****er around me has a turbo and they make big power bit big ****ing problems too.

alaskablkmach

Established Member
To be honest I don't think a 2.9 or 3.4 can run any hotter then my KB 2.6h..it's on 24psi with a 3.0 upper and 2lbs lower. He'll maybe I'll just spray that bitch and say screw a new blower.

GodStang

Established Member
To be honest I don't think a 2.9 or 3.4 can run any hotter then my KB 2.6h..it's on 24psi with a 3.0 upper and 2lbs lower. He'll maybe I'll just spray that bitch and say screw a new blower.

They will not be hotter. You will be slowing the blower down. My 2.8LC was at 18,400 rpm so. Same boost on the 3.6LC and running 14,000 rpms. With the combo you are running now you are at 17,500 rpms at 6500rpms. You are just making heat. The 2.9L 3.2L, and 3.4L will slow down the rpms a lot and cool off.

alaskablkmach

Established Member
They will not be hotter. You will be slowing the blower down. My 2.8LC was at 18,400 rpm so. Same boost on the 3.6LC and running 14,000 rpms. With the combo you are running now you are at 17,500 rpms at 6500rpms. You are just making heat. The 2.9L 3.2L, and 3.4L will slow down the rpms a lot and cool off.

Yes that was my main reasoning for doing it...way less rpm and heat. What power is that 3.6lc going to make? That a stroker motor?

GodStang

Established Member
Yes that was my main reasoning for doing it...way less rpm and heat. What power is that 3.6lc going to make? That a stroker motor?

No idea on power as I am not sure on boost. Pulleyed some where between 28 and 32 psi. Yes it is a stroker motor.

Users who are viewing this thread