worried about my TOB after reading several posts.

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Originally posted by CyberDaveA
Mine has been squeaking for a month now... I'm planning to take it to ford soon... is it harmful to drive around with a bad TOB???

Eventually a TOB will literally fall apart if you drive it too far while it is failing... you usually smell a metal burning smell and it gets loud as hell right before she gives the heave-ho.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
Cobra-Master... so when it gives the heave-ho... does that mean my car is totally undriveable?!? Sorry... I don't know exactly what a TOB does... or how it works.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I got a friend who drove his car till the TOB had holes in it. supposedly they will take a lot of abuse before finally go.

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Originally posted by CyberDaveA
Cobra-Master... so when it gives the heave-ho... does that mean my car is totally undriveable?!? Sorry... I don't know exactly what a TOB does... or how it works.

When the charred ball bearings of the TOB are falling out of the bell housing... yes, your car will be undriveable. This happened to me once in my 95 Cobra... not fun.

cobracory

Established Member
I am dropping off my car in the morning to the dealer for the TOB problem. I took it to the dealer about 6 weeks or 2 months ago for the same problem, but they didnt find anything. It also was not happening very frequently either.

But it is happening quite often now. And I am getting worried. I still really have no idea where the TOB is or even what it does, but now I read that if this thing breaks the car is a large paperweight worries me.

From what other people wrote is exactly what I am experiencing... Sounds of seagulls and as of this week a mysterious burning metal smell.

I am finding the "seagulls" to only occur in the evenings when it is cooler. I can drive the same way at 2PM and again at 11PM, and it will only happen at 11PM.

I stop at a light and I feel the vibration in the clutch when putting the car into neutral, and even hear/feel something strange.
When I press my foot down on the clutch, then the seagulls are released. I can't seem to make it happen, but once it happens, I can sit there all day and press / release my foot from the clutch and make the sound.

It is getting embarassing too... at a traffic light and all of a sudden people are looking at my car once it starts making the noise.

Wish me luck with the dealership now. :)

3Pete

Midnight Rambler
Established Member
Took my car to dealer today for the noisy TOB. They ordered parts. I asked him what the TSB shows for the job. He said 4.3 hours. They will pull the trans replace the front bearing retainer, the throw out bearing and clip. BTW 8200 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread