worried about my TOB after reading several posts.

DScott600

Established Member
I have 17000 miles on my car and haven't had an issue with the TOB yet. My question is can someone give me a good way to be sure what I am looking for. The car has been driven hard. It is my weekend toy after all. I don't get any squeals and I have the cable adjusted right with the firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant. But when the car is in neutral and running the transmission is a little noisey but I've heard that in alot of cars. You guys think I am ok for now, and what should I be on the lookout for?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
If you don't feel a noticeable shudder/sticking when the pedal is travelling and / or hear squealing, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Those are the usual symptoms.

DScott600

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I'll be keeping an eye on it. And I will eventually pull the inspection cover to make sure.

Mugger

Don't beat 'em, MUG 'em!
Established Member
My car had a cracked bell housing at around 15,000. It made a sound like there was a cracked exhaust manifold under the left fender well. I got a brand new transmition out of the deal for free, I was told that it was a factory default.

Cobra-Master

Established Member
I could tell mine was going bad because my clutch pedal would vibrate when I was driving down the road (with my foot off the clutch). Then, it started sounding like a flock of seagulls was in the bell housing, then I knew it wasn't going to be long before she blew apart.

RGrossman

Established Member
My TOB is squeaking and I do have a slight pedal vibration? Is this a warranty issue? Or could this be solved when a new clutch is installed...

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by RGrossman
My TOB is squeaking and I do have a slight pedal vibration? Is this a warranty issue? Or could this be solved when a new clutch is installed...

It is a warranty item yes. A new clutch won't solve this particular problem if it's the TOB retainer sleeve seperated from the tranny housing.

Happened to my 03 three times. First two they replaced the tranny because Ford would not allow parts to be replaced only whole units. On the third tranny by the time it happened again they had come out with an updated part, so the TOB and TOB retainer sleeve were replaced and the issue solved.

fr03cobra

Established Member
I just had my tranny and clutch replaced. It was hard to put in first and reverse. Ford upgraded me to the 04 setup. You might want to have ford look at it before your warrenty is up.

Last edited:

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
You should be afraid -- very afraid. You will notice that dealers will get very annoyed when you are in every 4000 miles. My car has less miles than that, probably hasnt been driven as hard, and is currently chomping on its latest TOB. (4)

Good luck.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I didn't have mods beyond x pipe and catback.

In fact the recurring issues were the reason I never did pulley / chip the car. Too afraid to after 3 trannys. :(

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I've got tons of mods, the mechanic argued that the piece should not be damaged based on the mods I made. The car is in the shop as we speak awaiting a new tranny! I also got a letter from an SVT engineer. It's posted on the modularfords.com web site in the Terminator forum under throw out bearing reatainer thread.

imsuperman

Established Member
My clutch pedal vibrates when I'm crusing bot no squeal. Is this the same problem? Do I have to wait until it squeals before taking it into the dealer?

Cobrafied

Established Member
Originally posted by Mugger
My car had a cracked bell housing at around 15,000. It made a sound like there was a cracked exhaust manifold under the left fender well. I got a brand new transmition out of the deal for free, I was told that it was a factory default.

Hey Mugger. I think I may have the same problem you described. I have 20,000 miles and I just started to notice a metal clanking in parking garages. It is not all the time, but when letting out the clutch in 1st gear occasionally. It is fairly noticeable. Also, my clutch seems to engage(or disengage) a little closer to the floor now. It starts to engage right off the floor now, and before I didn't have to give it gas until an inch or so of letting off the pedal. I may just adjust the cable, but the metal clanking worries me. Sound similar?

Thanks,
Jeremy

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by JadeAT
My clutch pedal vibrates when I'm crusing bot no squeal. Is this the same problem? Do I have to wait until it squeals before taking it into the dealer?

Car in neutral, running, clutch pedal out.

Kneel by the drivers door and use your hand. Push the clutch in and out 2 - 4 inches. Does it shudder / vibrate?

It shouldn't. If it does you have a problem.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Does this mean all 03's have this problem?? I'm at 21,500 right now and haven't noticed anything wrong with the clutch so far. Should I take mine in anyway??

CyberDaveA

Established Member
Mine has been squeaking for a month now... I'm planning to take it to ford soon... is it harmful to drive around with a bad TOB???

CyberDaveA

Established Member
I only hear it every once in a while when I'm driving... and it's faint. But sometimes when I'm driving at parking lot speeds and I press the clutch in... it sounds like seagulls... and it's really loud squeaking. I'm pretty sure those are the symptoms of the TOB...

Users who are viewing this thread