Word on new Camaro?

MiMiK

Rollin the truck!
Established Member
This dick of a friend i have keeps telling me that theres gonna be a new Camaro... I think there is... I dunno for sure... He also claims that he saw a drag race of it... Any word about that!? Weather this guy is jackin my leg or is there some truth to this?! Anyone heard of such a vid? Is there gonna be a new Camaro... Need true facts... From the press or from GM it's self!

PLEASE GUYS! This is urgent cause im gonna nail this guys to my trucks rear bumper and go for an off road test drive if he's just being an ass! Any help appreciated...

PS: Any site or new letter related to GM and the new Camaro would really help!!! This guy is really pissing me off!! :mj: :mj: :mj:

Thanks! Any help appreciated!

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
GM is being very coy about this topic. They're not denying it but they're not confirming it.
The Zeta platform was cancelled, however Holden, GM's australian arm, continued development (joint project) and GM North America has apparently since re-joined in development of the platform.

svtmc-g

Established Member
I have seen many renderings from the 18 year-old that GM found. They DO look freakin sweet. Google"2007 z28" and you'll find pics. The red version, I heard is the final rendering(it does look the best)...not the crap that was in a recent car mag. GM is being VERY big bitches about the whole subject. I think they're gonna do it. They'd be stupid not to. They won't let Ford do 'em in. C'mon...the Camaro vs. Mustang feud is one of the biggest rivalries in american history.

I read that they're gonna do an SS with the 327ci V8 that is also available in the 06-07 Monte SS and Impala SS. They're rumored to be doing the flagship Z28 as well. It's suppose to have that beefy ass 6.0 liter from the Vette in it, and not de-tuned either. But you know GM....always..yes no yes no blah blah. Just build the freakin thing and quit building hype to help you sell more cars if it does come out.

Hell...it's just gonna get spanked by all you Terminator owners anyway. Another toy for you 03-04 owners to make look stupid!hahahahaha
Matt

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
svtmc-g said:
I have seen many renderings from the 18 year-old that GM found. They DO look freakin sweet. Google"2007 z28" and you'll find pics. The red version, I heard is the final rendering(it does look the best)...not the crap that was in a recent car mag. GM is being VERY big bitches about the whole subject. I think they're gonna do it. They'd be stupid not to. They won't let Ford do 'em in. C'mon...the Camaro vs. Mustang feud is one of the biggest rivalries in american history.

I read that they're gonna do an SS with the 327ci V8 that is also available in the 06-07 Monte SS and Impala SS. They're rumored to be doing the flagship Z28 as well. It's suppose to have that beefy ass 6.0 liter from the Vette in it, and not de-tuned either. But you know GM....always..yes no yes no blah blah. Just build the freakin thing and quit building hype to help you sell more cars if it does come out.

Hell...it's just gonna get spanked by all you Terminator owners anyway. Another toy for you 03-04 owners to make look stupid!hahahahaha
Matt

Kris Horton's renderings are just that for right now. Unless someone comes out w/ an awesome spy pic, it looks like NAIAS will be the publics first look @ the 5th Gen.

As per the RS-SS-Z28 thing, its still speculation. Its all rumors at this point as to what each car's going to have, whether they'll be worked over LS4s in the SS/Z28, or whether the King of the Hill will have a de-tuned LS2 or a de-tuned LS7 or what exactly. Its all still rumors.

And GMs pretty smart for not leaking information IMO. Its going to draw people into the brand, be it dealerships, forums, internet etc. Its going to make people keep an eye on Chevrolet and GM which they need IMO. But it would've been more wise for them to @ least give out some specifications as to what the engine was going to be, what its power is, fuel economy etc that way dealerships can at least have something to tell customers. But keeping them in the dark as per the design isnt a bad thing. Hell, look @ even on this board how many "5th Gen" topics have been started.

If you can make the competition's faithful get a little leary about what you're drawing up, then you must be doing something right. 03/04 owners might not be that worried, but this thing should be competition for some of them IMO. Besides, GM cant worry about what Fords done in the past - they need to focus on what they're doing in the future. And the 07 Shelby is going to pickup where the 04 Cobra left off, except its an entirely new book...

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
It isn't a matter of GM being smart or coy regarding the Zeta/Camaro platform. Right now they have serious financial problems. They are facing the potential sale of GMAC, which has been their cash cow. They owe a great deal to retired workers and are trying to renegotiate with the unions. They are looking square in the face of the loss of another division -- Buick. If they are smart, they will restructure and cut back on platforms and models, and reemerge leaner and stronger. But, that won't happen by producing a new platform with limited volume sales potential (less than 100K units), and limited appeal (RWD, the masses still buy FWD).
Still, they may do it, but right now Pontiac has two RWD sporty cars in production with low volume. The GTO and Solstice won't combine to sell 100K unites a year. I just cannot see GM adding a Camaro/Bird into the already crowded low sales mix.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
GM most certainly has not been very smart or creative over the past two decades. They have failed to respond to the Japanese imports and are now paying the price. Once the best automaker in the world (IMO) they are sadly approaching rock bottom. If it weren't for their trucks, they'd be history.

The Camaro will only be added if GM knows it will sell. And they don't. Mainly because it isn't likely they'll produce something as fresh as the Challenger, and Mustang can fortunately continue to live by its name and history. Plus with the failure of the last generation of Camaros it is really unlikely GM will risk a market bomb. Dodge, on the other hand, will likely produce the Challenger to challenge the Mustang. I say they have an excellent shot, especially with their two Hemi motors. GM's venture would be a big risk. Bottom line is that the future doesn't look good for GM at all as far as I'm concerned. I surely wouldn't expect any new and fresh models. Too little, too late. Sad. JMHO.

svtmc-g

Established Member
On the powerplant issue, the stuff I read was from a GM rep before they did another denial of the Camaro coming out. He said "it will likely have this and that" type of talk. None of the "it's GOING to have". Of course now the pages that I read via the internet are long gone.
I've seen some pics of the Challenger and I tell ya...it blows that family cruiser, The Charger, away. I have been hoping they put it out because it does look mean and apparently it's suppose to be a force to be reckoned with. It also is pretty faithful in design.(unlike the Charger with 4 doors made for the guys that owned one when they were teens)
If I had the cash I'd buy the Challenger. But then again...if I did HAVE that cash I'd buy a Terminator! or a Lightning long before the Challenger.haha
Mc-G

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
If GM gets the design right, IMO it'll sell. This isnt going to be a "new Fbody" platform, its going to be something that 3-4 different vehicles are supposed to sit on. GM understands (now) the importance of global integration (might not be the right word...) and they're planning on using that to their advantage in the global market, not just the North American.

While I agree the GTO and Solstice combined wont sell 100k units, they still are just one part to the entire scheme of GM. They've still got trucks, they just redesigned the entire Caddy lineup as well as the Impala and Monte Carlo and they removed the Cavy/Sunfire for the Cobalt. They're stepping it up in the right direction, but I do agree w/ CobraBob its a little too late for some of this.

The 4th gen might have been a failure to some, but it was still making a profit even in 02. The chassis was out dated, the entire platform needed a redesign so there's more to it than the lousy sales #s. I think this new Camaro might not be THE single thing that helps GM, but I do think it'll be a step in the right direction for them to get back on track. It'll elliviate some pressure off of the Corvette and GTO sales, and let them get some time to re-do the GTO in order to make it appeal better for the NA customers .

CobraBob made some good points, and some I agree with. I dont think the Camaro's as big a risk as he believes, but it is a risk. And the future really doesnt look good for any of the Big 3 w/ all of them teetering along the low-side of the stock market - but how else are you going to revive your business (especially in automotive) without new and fresh vehicles? Sometimes you have to take a loss in order to make a profit down the road, and as much as that sucks maybe GM needs that in order to get rid of the bean counters and get the blood flowing to the right spots again.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Their goal should be to target the Mustang GT and have limited edition SS models to target our SVT cars.

Phantom05

Established Member
GM is being hush about any future plans about a new Camaro for now. They don't have a RWD Chevrolet V8 (besides the 'Vette) that filled the Camaros spot when it left. The Imapala and Monte SS definitely do not count! I have a feeling that they will eventually bring back something, but not until they straighten out their financial situation.
Zeta was not cancelled..it was put on hold. Holden is now using it as a platform on their Commadores.
Only the future will tell.

Slap your friend in the face for being an assrammer. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread