Woodworkers advise plz!

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
I am getting setup in my house. I have really only ever had one wood shop class a very long time ago. I have recently grown an interest in learning woodworking. I'm looking for peoples advice and recommendation on what order too purchase equipment (different saws, planer, drill press etc) in. I know that can get expensive quick so I plan to purchase slowly which Is why I'm looking for a recommended order. Also taking all other advice on the topic!

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
When I first started I ended up getting a scroll saw, band saw and table sander, as I was getting wood already plained. Then life got in the way and I have yet to do much else other than a sliding miter saw.

Sorry I can't be of much help, just thought I would share with you where I started

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
what kind of woodworking are you going to do? furniture building?

I would say start with a table saw, and a band saw. A scroll saw comes in handy if you are doing small, tight corner cuts, like when doing crafty stuff, and knick knacks, etc.

Coiled03

Established Member
Depends on what you want to make. I figure in the beginning you'll make fairly straight forward pieces with mostly straight cuts, so I'd probably go for a table saw first, followed by either a band saw or maybe a sander to fix your mistakes, :lol:.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Router is a must have (I would go with hand held unless you have room and/or doing alot of larger peices. Drill press is almost a must have depending on what you're doing.

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
Basic furniture stuff to start at least. The equipment will also probably be used for general home activities also (cut a 2x4 or piece of plywood etc.) I was looking at a sliding miter saw for some stuff around home but wonder if a radial arm saw wouldn't be a better idea since I don't need portability..

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Basic furniture stuff to start at least. The equipment will also probably be used for general home activities also (cut a 2x4 or piece of plywood etc.) I was looking at a sliding miter saw for some stuff around home but wonder if a radial arm saw wouldn't be a better idea since I don't need portability..

Get the sliding miter and make your life easier, get one that rotates in both directions. Cheaper ones only rotate in one direction and then you have to flip the peice for the opposite cut.

My carpenter buddy built a work table with a recess for his chop saw. The saw table was leve with the rest of the table. This came out very slick and useful and retained portability.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are likely people in your state who are selling their equipment due to the economic condition that still exists. You might check Craig's List and your local papers. Buying used equipment would save you quite a bit of money. If you can find it.

You'll get a lot of pleasure and use out of what you're doing.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my dad had a wood shop in the garage when i was a kid. we made everything from book cases to small decorative things.

the two things we used the most were the band saw and the table saw.

id say a band saw first because so many cuts you'd use a table saw for can be done with a circular saw and a steady hand. or just have home depot make the big cuts for you (what i usually do now).

just be careful! a band saw and a router are two things that will rip off your fingers faster than any other tools. once they get caught, its usually over for that digit :eek:

we didnt use the planer a whole lot other than working on wooden doors.

if you plan to make some tables or other furniture, a biscuit joiner is pretty awesome. not too expensive either. they can help hold wooden parts together much better than just screws and glue alone. easy to use too.

a drill press is awesome but not something you necessarily need right up front.

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
Can someone please explain the difference between a planer and a jointer to me? Kind of looks like they do the same to me.. Thanks hope the ignorance of this question isn't too unbearable

tistan

Established Member
I wouldn't buy a table saw first thing. I would buy stuff that I could use around the house. I would get a jigsaw, slide miter, and a good skill saw. I recommend Makita for skill saw, Bosch for a jigsaw, and Hitachi or dewalt 8" slide miters. You don't need a big 10" or 12" slide miter. If really get into wood working and have the room, invest in a good cabinet table saw with a 50" fence system, and you can just about eliminate the need for a slide miter. When building cabinets, I make all of my cuts on the table saw. The only thing I use the miter saw for is detail trim. I would also buy a router because it is fun being able to make your own trim pieces. Buy an air compressor because you can get guns to do everything. You can buy different guns as you need them.

First thing I would build is a good work table.

What kind of space are you planing on setting you shop up? To have a full shop of tools and be comfortable and not bumping into everything, you are going to need minimum of 900 sq ft.

Users who are viewing this thread