Won't start without starting fluid, then idles at 2,000-2,200 rpm??

MaximusDecimus

Established Member
Ok guys, so the engine will start, but not without spraying a little starter fluid in the TB first. Then, it will idle at 2,000 rpm going up to 2,200 rpm. I cleaned out the IAC with carb cleaner and dabbed the little valve stem with some wd-40 and the valve moves without any stickyness or hangups. I also cleaned out the MAF with CRC MAF Cleaner. Both of these made no difference. I unplugged the IAC while it was running and it started to die so i plugged it back in and went back up to 2,000 rpm. I also tapped the gas pedal to jump up the rpms a little in an attemt to get it to come down.. that didnt work either. So I doubt it is the IAC.. or maybe it is just partially working? Or maybe my MAF is completely bad?
Hoping someone can help here. Input would be extremely appreciated, I'm not sure what to do next :/

Oh.. also It is an 04 cobra completely stock except for a C&L RAI.

Last edited:

MaximusDecimus

Established Member
Had the car been sitting for awhile? Any other details?

Yes, It had been sitting for a few years. It was wrecked and has the whole front end taken off in front of the engine. Since it currently does not have any cooling systems hooked up I only ran it for about 30 seconds after starting it with starting fluid. I'm just trying to get it to start normally before i start putting it back together so I at least have peace of mind about the engine running properly.

Last edited:

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? Being the car was wrecked maybe your inerta switch is kicked. Its in the trunk on the left side. You'll have to remove the interior pannel to get to it.

Last edited:

MaximusDecimus

Established Member
Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? Being the car was wrecked maybe your inerta switch is kicked. Its in the trunk on the left side. You'll have to remove the interior pannel to get to it.

Yes, the fuel pump primes and the inertia switch is down.

This and how old is the gasoline in the tank?

The gasoline that was in the tank was a few years old. I didn't attempt to start it with the old gas, I attached a hose to the end of the fuel rail and jumped the fuel pump and pumped all the old gas out, then added a few gallons of fresh premium fuel and cycled it through a little bit with some PRI-G fuel additive. It is obviously getting fuel pressure since it stays running at 2,000 rpm until I shut it off so I would think it is not a fuel delivery problem?
I also drained all the old engine oil out of it before I attempted turning it over and put in Royal Purple HPS oil as well as took all the spark plugs out and sprayed a little penetrating oil (not very much) in each cylinder to try and avoid a totally bone-dry dry start.

Last edited:

03 silver cobra

Established Member
Check for vacuume leaks, also what else is not hooked up on the car

Last edited:

03 silver cobra

Established Member
Will the car start if you slightly press the gas pedal but don't use starter fluid? If so iac could be bad if not may be another culprit. I would also check to see how much fuel pressure you have

MaximusDecimus

Established Member
Will the car start if you slightly press the gas pedal but don't use starter fluid? If so iac could be bad if not may be another culprit. I would also check to see how much fuel pressure you have

Negative, car won't start without starter fluid period. I will check the fuel pressure but I doubt that is the problem since it has sufficient fuel delivery to stay running at 2,000 rpm. Could the MAF sensor cause this if it was broken?

big dad

Established Member
TP sensor. It's in clear flood mode. Check the tp sensor voltage at engine off-key on. Or disconnect it and see if it starts. With KOEO it should read about 1V.

Users who are viewing this thread