Won't start/flashing theft light/PATS? and has a new battery

_AC_

Established Member
I put the battery back in my 99 cobra after 6 weeks of storage and it won't start. The theft light is flashing furiously and the fuel pump isn't priming. It seems that it doesn't like either of my keys after it's short winter nap. Is there anything I can do besides flatbed to the dealer? I've tried pulling the negative terminal a couple times to reset the computer but it acts the same every time I reconnect it. The fuel cutoff isn't tripped and the battery is fully charged.

Thanks for any help. I know I am crossing the forum lines between New Edge and Termi but I am looking for max viewers.

zackkbcobra

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
i remember on my car i had to keep the key on the on position for 10-20 minutes for the key to relearn itself wasnt a ford it was a gm might be the same though good luck

Not sure what the precise issue is but you can bypass this issue to get her started and to get her to the dealer. Disonnect ur battery then turn ur key on then reconnect the positive cable. But you have to diconnect and reconnect each time in order to restart it this way. At least this way you can avoid paying for a tow.

_AC_

Established Member
Sadly, turning the key then reconnecting the battery didn't work. I'll guess I will need a flatbed to the dealer. I bet the dealer cost will exceed the cost of the battery I was trying to save by storing it inside.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
battery being out wont erase the pats code. either the key went bad or u have a pcm issue, or a reciever issue, have a second key to try? good luck.

oldmodman

Established Member
No useful help from me either. I had an 03 cobra sitting for over a year with no battery in it at all. I put the battery back in, and after priming the oil it cranked over twice and started right up.
I did have to get LoJack come by and replace it's battery though.

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
Did you ever find out what happened? Mine is doing the same thing. The key in the battery didn't work but I only tried it for 7 minutes. So I will try it again and just leave it in there. I only got one key with my car so I can't try another key.

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
If you have a tuner check for any codes. My friends 97GT did this, the code was P1260. Look at the bottom of your key. If there's a rectangular hole then there's your problem. Try another key.

intmdtr

Established Member
i am going to throw something out there.....try putting a charge to the battery while starting the car. my 02 F-150 has been doing this lately. the battery says its fine, but the pats light flashes like crazy, i put the cables on it gave it a boost and boom it started right up.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
No useful help from me either. I had an 03 cobra sitting for over a year with no battery in it at all. I put the battery back in, and after priming the oil it cranked over twice and started right up.
I did have to get LoJack come by and replace it's battery though.

Does LoJack have it's own battery? Ever since having LoJack installed in my 2002 Mustang GT and 2003 Cobra, both cars must be perpetually on trickle chargers or the battery goes dead after 2 weeks.

Just put a new battery in the 2002, and I asked the dealer to disconnect the LoJack. They told me they couldn't find it! Same dealer that installed it.

airstang93

Established Member
is the car turning over at all when u turn the key? i know mine wouldnt start about a week ago after it had been sitting for about a week. i attempted to start and it would just crank but not turn over. i finally left the key turned and pumped the gas pedal 3-4 times and it fired right up...

pwrshft99

Established Member
This happen to me at the worst possible time... I was sure it was PATS related but far away from home, tools or internet. I had a chip in the computer at the time and it somehow wiggled loose. I pulled it completely and the car fired right up.

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
Mine will turn over until the battery is dead. I also tried starting it with the battery full charged and still connected to the charger.

_AC_

Established Member
$400 later and it works again. Dealer had to reflash the computer back to stock settings. It is great to have it running again but they overwrote my tune and now my diablosport predator won't recognize the vehicle. Any ideas on how to reassociate it with the car? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread