Won't rev past 7500, engine speed limiter?

MKMotorsport

Established Member
Tuning the car in my sig, SCT PRP. It is an A6. In an effort to wring a bit more out of the car I've been creeping up on the revs. Things have been responding well up to this point (Previously was shifting around 7400 successfully) but seems as if I'm hitting some unaccounted for limiter at 7500 I cannot adjust any further. Strategy is WYN3 and I'm starting to wonder if it is a limitation of this particular strategy?

For example I have a log from the track last night where I got into a limiter (torque source 4) on the 2-3 shift. At the moment torque source 4 is logged, the actual throttle angle was briefly cut to 28 degree throttle angle from the normal 82, then the car shifts and power comes back on. The WOT and engine speed by gear were set to 7900 to attempt to have those removed from the equation. On other runs the car will do the same thing on the 3-4 shift when attempting to exceed the same threshold (7500rpm)...

I've heard 3rd hand on the HP Tuners side of people swapping strategies to attempt to overcome this type of issue. Wondering if anyone has any other ideas before I start going down the strategy shopping route. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
You can not rev past 7600 with the 6r80 using SCT. You'll have to get HPtuners if you want to go any higher. If you had a manual car changing your strategy would work.

MKMotorsport

Established Member
You can not rev past 7600 with the 6r80 using SCT. You'll have to get HPtuners if you want to go any higher. If you had a manual car changing your strategy would work.

Interesting, thanks for the input.

As I've researched the past few days I see HP tuners does indeed have a high rpm patch that can be applied to normal GT (non BOSS) strategies to allow greater than 7600 rpms.

I was under the impression some of the guys running CJ setups/etc were revving autos higher? but if so, it sounds like not with SCT? Or the majority must be M6 cars? :??:

15PSI

Established Member
The majority of CJs use modified GM TH400 3 speed automatics. I have heard they shift above 8K. But remember that Ford coded the ECU and knows how to extend the RPM shift points. And yes, HPTuners VCM suite is your answer. If you use LiveLink for datalogging, wait until you try the logger in VCM Suite. Advantage can't touch it for functionality. I come from the Derive side of the house and I rarely use PRP now. VCM Suite is so much better logically - and if there is something missing that you need, support is normally right on top of it.

Users who are viewing this thread