Won't pass readiness emissions test

Subject states the problem. I've had no check engine lights, stock tune, no power adding mods. Last spring had security module replaced which would have been last time battery was disconnected. Have about 300 miles on car since then. Total miles is 4000. I've been driving in city, highway, stopping, starting, over past 100 miles to try to satisfy this thing but keep failing. Anyone else have this problem and how did you rectify it? TIA.

jchristena

Established Member
Not tuned and flashed back to stock?

I had that problem with an FRPP tune years ago and got the following directly from Ford Racing Engineering. I'm not sure what part of your setup isn't showing as ready, but this worked for me back in the day. I had driven around for 400 plus miles and shit didn't ready up. This fixed it. Good luck.

----
To complete this monitor, the best thing to do is drive steady state below 3000 rpm for 60 seconds or so, then release the gas pedal completely (while in gear, clutch pedal not depressed). Then decelerate for 5-10 seconds. Repeat the whole procedure 4 times and the monitor should complete.

We have had 100% success with this procedure.
----

Thanks I'll try that. It's the O2 monitor. Dealer has had car for 2 days, swapped O2 sensors. Can't figure it out, Ford no help. Car is not tuned, stock cal. Security module was replaced last spring, last time battery was disconnected. Tomorrow they are replacing PCM. They are saying that certain tests will show ready, then next time they drive they are not ready. Main issue is O2 though, with EGR clearing then coming back as not ready.

hostile500

Established Member
I had this problem last summer, the car wouldn't go ready. We found the EGR valve to be going bad. Not far enough along to throw any codes but enough that it interrupted something on the readiness of the O2 sensors.

They've had the car a week now, put over 100 miles on it. Replaced PCM and now I'm getting countless false misfire readings, none of the monitors will set now and dealer is stumped. I told them to try the above cycle but with the CEL constantly lit for misfires it won't help until that is solved. Ford is no help (according to them). Absolutely ridiculous. Never had any trouble passing with any car before.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Take it to your dealer.

[email protected]

Thanks I'll try that. It's the O2 monitor. Dealer has had car for 2 days, swapped O2 sensors. Can't figure it out, Ford no help. Car is not tuned, stock cal. Security module was replaced last spring, last time battery was disconnected. Tomorrow they are replacing PCM. They are saying that certain tests will show ready, then next time they drive they are not ready. Main issue is O2 though, with EGR clearing then coming back as not ready.

They've had the car a week now, put over 100 miles on it. Replaced PCM and now I'm getting countless false misfire readings, none of the monitors will set now and dealer is stumped. I told them to try the above cycle but with the CEL constantly lit for misfires it won't help until that is solved. Ford is no help (according to them). Absolutely ridiculous. Never had any trouble passing with any car before.

The only mods on car since Feb. 2016 are Shelby heat exchanger and fans, 3.73 gears, Corsa exhaust. This is first time that emissions is required due to age so I don't know if it would have ever passed. I haven't had any check engine lights, and car runs (ran) fine. Only reason I brought car to dealer was I could not get O2 monitor to complete, despite the sensors working properly. Every other monitor passed and had no CEL. Dealer is now putting original PCM back in.

blue 07

Established Member
Both Hostile500 and I ran into the same issue this past spring. There has got to be some mod along the way for the car to have read issues with the 02 sensors. I was in the inspection bay 5 times, all issues with the 02 sensors. Did the drive cycle thing many times, in various cycles, no luck. No check engine light on. Come to find out, SCT never loaded the perimeters for NH in the tune, so I could have driven the car forever and it never would have passed. Pete at Performance Dyno rewrote the tune, added in the parameters need for the 02 sensors, passed with no issues. I know you say the car hasn't had a tune done to it, but the computer is picking up something and throwing the code .VERY frustrating though, I feel your pain !!

The stock tune was put back in last spring, unmarried the xcal. Once they put the new PCM in it would definitely have had a factory cal. Whether or not the O2 monitor would have passed with new PCM is unknown since it now is throwing a CEL for misfires which is never had before. Dealer says these are false misfire readings. Old pcm going back soon. With weather gone to sh*t there is no hurry since car cannot be driven until roads are clear of salt.

Regarding 3.73's, there is no correction for them at this time.

Both Hostile500 and I ran into the same issue this past spring. There has got to be some mod along the way for the car to have read issues with the 02 sensors. I was in the inspection bay 5 times, all issues with the 02 sensors. Did the drive cycle thing many times, in various cycles, no luck. No check engine light on. Come to find out, SCT never loaded the perimeters for NH in the tune, so I could have driven the car forever and it never would have passed. Pete at Performance Dyno rewrote the tune, added in the parameters need for the 02 sensors, passed with no issues. I know you say the car hasn't had a tune done to it, but the computer is picking up something and throwing the code .VERY frustrating though, I feel your pain !!

Right now the car is in storage at the dealer until weather breaks. There was a time when the car had a SCT tune, but it was returned to stock, SCT xcal was unmarried. The dealer replaced the PCM at one point, which would have certainly had a stock tune in it, and problem remained (along with a bunch of new ones). When weather improves they will get back on it.

hostile500

Established Member
Right now the car is in storage at the dealer until weather breaks. There was a time when the car had a SCT tune, but it was returned to stock, SCT xcal was unmarried. The dealer replaced the PCM at one point, which would have certainly had a stock tune in it, and problem remained (along with a bunch of new ones). When weather improves they will get back on it.

What are the new problems that have shown up?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Could the issue be the gears? Im sure there are certain things the pcm is looking for..with the speedo off and the rpm being different than the stock 3.31 with out a tune to correct it could possibility not all it to read in range its looking for?

Could the issue be the gears? Im sure there are certain things the pcm is looking for..with the speedo off and the rpm being different than the stock 3.31 with out a tune to correct it could possibility not all it to read in range its looking for?

I guess that's possible. Once the other issues get rectified and I'm back to original issue of the O2 monitor, I'll suggest that.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I guess that's possible. Once the other issues get rectified and I'm back to original issue of the O2 monitor, I'll suggest that.
Hopefully it all gets sorted out. Its odd that after trying a new pcm it added other issues too.

Users who are viewing this thread