Won't maintain idle

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I just had all my mods installed and got my ride back yesterday. I was extremely excited until it wouldn't stay running!
When I picked it up it was mentioned that the car would/could stall here and there due to the S/C & vacuum issues (after heavy braking, etc).
When I began my trek home it stalled once at a light and I figured no big deal, it still has to 'learn'. I turned it over and immediately it stalled. This happened twice at this light. The light went green so I cranked it and hit the gas, much like you would on an old carbureted car. It held RPM's and I went on the highway. After almost a two hour drive all seemed to run ok.

As I approached my exit and began to slow up, it stalled again. I was not braking hard and still going about 50. I tried to start it and it stalled, twice again. At this point I was at a toll. I cranked it and gassed it like earlier and was able to take off.
About 5 minutes later I came to a light. Stalled again. No heavy braking or anything. I tried to restart 4 times and yet again on the 4th i had to gas it to keep it running and finally got going. This again happened at 3 or 4 more lights and now i'm thinking something is very wrong.
When i finally got home i let it cool down thinking maybe the heat had something to do with it as I was running the A/C and it was almost 90 outside. Roughly 3 hrs later I went out and started it up. Immediately it sputtered & stalled. I noticed a raw fuel odor. When i cranked it again it sputtered and i could smell more fuel, but i gave it some throttle as I did earlier in the day and it sputtered but finally got the RPM over 1000 and I took off to gas it up before the Memorial Day price spike. :nonono:
I also noticed that on the (rare) occasion when it did idle it was around 500-600, but appeared to struggle, and gurgle.
One other thing i noticed was hesitation or cutting out. I would be accelerating normally and it hit the 2600-2800 area it felt like out hesitated, lost power or lacked fuel/air. I was monitoring the air/fuel read out and it fluctuated quite a bit often hitting 20.0.
Obviously I've contacted the shop already but I'm concerned and hoped to get some insight through here.

Any thoughts???
Thanks

Zemedici

Established Member
I wouldnt be driving it like that. Take it somewhere and have the tune checked out. Seems the A/F is off, or there's a mega vacuum leak somewhere.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I'm sure the guys at Evolution will get you right. The a/f read out hitting 20 must have been when you were completely off the gas pedal, right? If that is not the case then something crazy is going on.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I'm sure the guys at Evolution will get you right. The a/f read out hitting 20 must have been when you were completely off the gas pedal, right? If that is not the case then something crazy is going on.
I have confidence they will remedy but my excitement is gone.
Yes when I let off the gas completely. I hadn't noticed doing that pre-mods. I know that things change when you modify, so I'm not sure that's normal or not.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
JLT intake possibly. I'd check the filter to make sure it's not pulled off at all, or pushed on too far, which I've seen be a big problem for a lot of people.

by9468840

Established Member
Isn't the 700 package coming with with a CAI?
I read about stall issues when using CAI with roush tvs before when not carefully tuned.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Is what you got installed in your signture? I dont understand why a reputable shop would let a car go that doesnt run right ..not good!

Last edited:

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I have confidence they will remedy but my excitement is gone.
Yes when I let off the gas completely. I hadn't noticed doing that pre-mods. I know that things change when you modify, so I'm not sure that's normal or not.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in, but my car does that too. I'm sure it's just excess being burnt up in the cylinders when going from on the throttle to off the throttle. That's the only way I see an a/f getting that high without hurting the motor.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Is what you got installed in your signture? I dont understand why a reputable shop would let a car go that doesnt run right ..not good!

Yes I had all that installed at one time this past week. Totally stock prior to that.
It seemed to run ok when we first started it up. It did stall once while idling but was explained that it can happen and would from time to time. 20 times NO WAY!
I will say they said they drove it and it ran great. What happened? IDK

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I read somewhere where JLT explained that the filter should be as low on the intake tube as possible to straighten the airflow before it hit the MAF. I have a similar issue with mine, and I have to try to reinstall it tomorrow paying attention to filter placement. Mine was running fine for the first hour or so and then I saw the filter looked like it was sliding down too far, so I pushed it on as far as I could. Then the car ran like crap. I didn't realize that what I did caused the issue. Spoke with my tuner and he told me it was prob the filter pushed too far on the intake tube. I will be trying it tomorrow with the filter in the right position.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I read somewhere where JLT explained that the filter should be as low on the intake tube as possible to straighten the airflow before it hit the MAF. I have a similar issue with mine, and I have to try to reinstall it tomorrow paying attention to filter placement. Mine was running fine for the first hour or so and then I saw the filter looked like it was sliding down too far, so I pushed it on as far as I could. Then the car ran like crap. I didn't realize that what I did caused the issue. Spoke with my tuner and he told me it was prob the filter pushed too far on the intake tube. I will be trying it tomorrow with the filter in the right position.

Cool thanks for the info. I'm waiting to hear back from Evo before I open the hood

by9468840

Established Member
Got tvs too. Using closed airbox and 85mm pulley with vmp tune I put close to 650hp at crank. Just remove your CAI get pulleys and a tune from vmp. My car not even stalled once since the install. Use smaller pulleys and you will easily make 700hp with much more torque than CAI can give you. Evolution is notorious for one of the worst custome service. Call vmp and Justin will sort you out in matter of hours.

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member

Im not sure if im misunderstanding how you worded it or if your backwords, but below shows the difference between correct and incorrect placement of filter:

Incorrect:
DSCF1031.jpg

Correct:
sm2011%20GT%20proto%20type%20020.jpg

Last edited:

Evolution

Established Member
The car was test driven by two different people at the shop, one of them being the owner and he even said the car ran great and the power was awesome for a street car.

We will find out what the problem is and get it corrected immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread