Wont go into 1st get from dead stop!

ripnroar46

Established Member
When waiting at a traffic light I put my car into neutral with the clutch disengaged. Then when I go to put it into first it won't let me with the clutch fully engaged. This happens about 50% of the time, but if i go back into neutral then push the clutch again its fine and goes right into first. Is this a common problem? I did a search and didnt find anything on it.

smoke em

Established Member
I have to double clutch for first gear every now and then but as it gets colder up here in ohio all the gears are hard

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I'm a little confused by your description but I assume you mean it's hard to get into 1st when stopped when you push the clutch in (which is disengaged). If that's the case, there's a good chance the clutch is not fully disengaging, which usually just means you need to adjust it (take up the cable slack) as described in the owner's manual. This is definitely the case if you notice that the clutch grabs on release close to the floor.

BLK04

Established Member
ripnroar46 said:
good point, so you think something like the steeda firewall adjuster should help out with this problem?

I had the same problem. I had to force it into 1st gear alot. I installed a fiore quadrant, firewall adjuster, and the ldc free-play kit and my car shifts like butter now.

ripnroar46

Established Member
BLK04 said:
I had the same problem. I had to force it into 1st gear alot. I installed a fiore quadrant, firewall adjuster, and the ldc free-play kit and my car shifts like butter now.

thats how mine is, if i force it hard enough it'll go in, but i dont feel comfortable doing that too much. i'll have to add those things to my list of stuff to get. its getting a little long now :lol:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Rip,

Why not just try adjusting the stock clutch setup first. Instructions in the owner's manual. If that's all it is, you don't need to upgrade the quadrant.

DannySE99

Established Member
I sometimes have the same problem too when it gets cold. I have a question... If I changed my shifter... would that elimate my problem?

Danny.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
smoke em said:
I have to double clutch for first gear every now and then but as it gets colder up here in ohio all the gears are hard
Ive noticed that when my gears are cold (30degree weather) it might happen like once every once in a while but what i do it just start of in 2nd instead, or what you could do it move the car a lil in 2nd and then take it outta 2nd and it should go right into 1st with no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread